Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got pulled over by a Motorcycle Garda last night...

• 08-09-2010 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Went out for a spin in the wet yesterday evening at around 7... I honestly didn't realise how quickly it would get dark and about 8.15, 5k's from home as it was getting quite dark a motorcyle Garda came up beside me and pointed me in to the side of the road... I was expecting a huge bollocking but actually he was quite cool... I told him that I didn't expect it to get dark so quickly and he said 'get some light like mine' and pointed to his flashing blue lights... Fair play...!
    Such a bummer that it's getting darker...
    On a different note, my bike looked like it had been through the Paris Roubaix... took about 40 mins to clean....!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Shoulda asked him if you get a uniform like his too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Should have asked him to pace you home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Night really swooped down last night. I parked the bike outside a shop in dusk and came out ten minutes later into complete darkness. I'd put on lights on the way there, just in case, so I was glad I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Gets darker 3-4 mins earlier every day until the clocks change ( useless fact )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Strictly speaking it gets darker earlier every day after the clocks change too... ;)

The real thing to catch you out is that at this time of year (sept/oct) the rate of change of length of day is fastest. Same applies in the spring (mar/apr) but that doesn't catch you out at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I parked the bike outside a shop in dusk and came out ten minutes later into complete darkness.
    By going into a brightly lit shop, your nightvision goes, and you will suddenly realise how dark it has been when you come back out. Although your eyes will adjust to the darkness again, IMO it takes a while to get back to being able to view stuff again.

But yeah, if going anywhere after 6pm, bring lights. If all cars start using their full beams, you should turn your own lights on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Least he was nice about it, doing his job at the same time too :)

/Note to self...must get some decent lights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Some good value light sets (to be seen around town):

Smart Polaris 4

42475.jpg

Smart Polaris 2

I also bought a few sets of these, handy Knogg knock offs, silicone bodies tie to themselves so no need for a mount. Always handy to have a set at work/in your bag in case you forget your regular lights or they run out of batteries at the wrong time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Woops, link for those lights from dealextreme. Excellent value and good as a back-up light or just a "be seen" light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

on this web site - fill in the details depending on where you live.

This is what Dublin looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Woops, link for those lights from dealextreme. Excellent value and good as a back-up light or just a "be seen" light.

seems to be cracking lights them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Just to note that although these are great little lights, don't get them wet. I have banjaxed one set already on one of the wet days earlier this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Every time I read this post title it sounds like I was violated by a biker.... :D

Advertisement