Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a wireless router for office

Options
  • 08-09-2010 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Currently there is a computer room in my office with 8 computers which all have wired connections to the net.

There are 2 other rooms in the building that we need to set up a wireless network for so I'm looking for a router that I can plugin in the computer room to put the signal aroung the building.

Thanks,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Without knowing the layout of the building, I'd say you'll be better off putting the wireless access point in the area where the signal is required rather than having it in the server room. Just connect it to one of the LAN network points in the office area.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AbbeyWebs

Thanks for the reply. The problem is there is the only place there is a Lan connection is in the computer room.

Is there any wireless router you would recommend?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

AbbeyWebs wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. The problem is there is the only place there is a Lan connection is in the computer room.

So the other 2 rooms are totally bare of any network points? Aargh!

Is there any wireless router you would recommend?

Again hard to say for sure without knowing the layout but I'd start with this one. It would REALLY help though if you could just get say a 10m ethernet cable and run it out from the comms room to the wireless router in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Cisco Small Business Pro AP500 series are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AbbeyWebs

bhickey: Ya not the best setup. Its an old building and there isn't even phone lines in the 2 rooms that we need to get the net so I thought setting up a wireless network would be the best(cheapest) setup. Will try the router in com room and if the signal isn't good enough will try and run an ethernet cable. Thanks for your help

NotInventedHere: Thanks will look into this too

• Advertisement
Advertisement