Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aviva Last Night

• 08-09-2010 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Didn't want to drag the Match Thread off topic..

Does anyone know why they didn't show the match on the big screens inside the Stadium??? Just curious!?

Would have been nice to see a replay of Doyles belter...!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

GampDub wrote: »
    Didn't want to drag the Match Thread off topic..

Does anyone know why they didn't show the match on the big screens inside the Stadium??? Just curious!?

Would have been nice to see a replay of Doyles belter...!

FAI couldnt afford the ESB bill .

Thats what happens when you rip off supporters/kids with a ticket starting price of €50 , then fail to fill the stadium .

El Muppetaros !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Technical issues apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

F.A.I. - Take a bow!

This punter of a steward initially stopped me from entering the ground with an umbrella -
    "They're not allowed",
    "Are you being serious?",
    "Yes, they're not allowed inside the ground",
    "So what do i do with this?"
    "You'll just have to leave it out here somewhere"

.....:eek::confused::mad:

Just went to another turnstyle and walked in no bother. Just thought the fact he'd been told that was nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Couldn't show any replays but had no problem showing us ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Frisbee wrote: »
    Technical issues apparently.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

I see they didn't sell drink at the match last nite.Is this goin to be the new thing that you can't even get a pint at half time?

groomek wrote: »
    I see they didn't sell drink at the match last nite.Is this goin to be the new thing that you can't even get a pint at half time?

No drink for those Soccer Hooligans :rolleyes:

Fella behind me moaning about no alchohol for the whole game... is it really that bad that you can't sit for 2 hours to watch your country without what would most likely be an overpriced pint of p*ssy beer in a plastic glass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Beer was being sold at the Argentina game was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

And the United - LOI IX game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I thought they are not allowed show the matches on the screens in case aof a dubious decision or the likes,

i could be going mad but i thought it was a fifa thing, maybe that was just the WC.

Is it a UEFA regulation not to allow alcohol???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭raddo

No, it wasn't.

Not allowed show replays of contentious moments but allowed to show a live feed and replays of run of the mill stuff

raddo wrote: »
    No, it wasn't.

was it not? Saw the bars open, presumed they were serving booze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

No, it wasn't.

Well they were definitely serving drink at the United game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I thought they are not allowed show the matches on the screens in case aof a dubious decision or the likes,

i could be going mad but i thought it was a fifa thing, maybe that was just the WC.

Certainly the case with Tevez' goal against Mexico. That's just replays though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

was it not? Saw the bars open, presumed they were serving booze

Nope there were selling sandwiched, I kid you not.

On this whole beer thing

Was beer every available in non premium or corporate sections for soccer games in Croke Park ?

I do not belive it is a UEFA rule, unless it's a recent one, as I got well and truly sloshed on German stuff and the Ireland v Georgia game in Mainz a few years back.

GampDub wrote: »
    Fella behind me moaning about no alchohol for the whole game... is it really that bad that you can't sit for 2 hours to watch your country without what would most likely be an overpriced pint of p*ssy beer in a plastic glass!

Its nice to be able to have a quick pint in the ground before the game and at half time in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You can have a beer in the rds watching leinster. Not sure why they font do it at croker and lansdowne. Probably "insurance reasons"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

UEFA Safety and Security Regulations 2006
    Effective 1 Jan 2007

Article 36 – Distribution of alcohol
    The match organiser must ensure that:
    a) no public sale or distribution of alcohol is permitted within the stadium or its private
    environs;

No, it wasn't.

It was.Got an overpriced drink myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You can have a beer in the rds watching leinster. Not sure why they font do it at croker and lansdowne. Probably "insurance reasons"

official Uefa events do not allow alcohol to be sold in grounds.

its the same at old trafford and all the champions league games, you can get beer on a saturday in the league and then on a tuesday in teh champions league games no beer is allowed. in saying that, one time, i think it was the semi v arsenal, they served beer. it could also be down to sponsorship, diageo could have the rights to the alcohol in the aviva and uefa dont allow that, as the likes of amstel and heineken sponsor them.

its nothing to do with hooligans, rugby being better or the FAI being s*8te, your not allowed to sell it and that is that!

it was allowed at the united v airtricty, as that was not a uefa event.

as regards the tvs, call me old fashioned, but i dont like these in stadiums, it defeats the purpose of going to watch the game and some people spend more time watching the tv than they do the pitch. these are a waste of time IMO, you can see the replays and highlights after ffs. most of the big grounds in teh UK dont have them and rightly so.

as regards the tvs, call me old fashioned, but i dont like these in stadiums, it defeats the purpose of going to watch the game and some people spend more time watching the tv than they do the pitch. these are a waste of time IMO, you can see the replays and highlights after ffs. most of the big grounds in teh UK dont have them and rightly so.

Normally I would fully agree with you here, sure I go to League of Ireland games every week just for the buzz of watching a live game! I was really just asking out of curiosity...

Like I said though it still would have been nice to see Doylers cracker last night again... :D

I remember enquiring about the vantage seats a year ago.I was told one of the advantages of buying vantage seats would be you would have your own bar which was exclusive to vantage tickets holders only.

Was this bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

its the same at old trafford and all the champions league games, you can get beer on a saturday in the league and then on a tuesday in teh champions league games no beer is allowed. in saying that, one time, i think it was the semi v arsenal, they served beer. it could also be down to sponsorship, diageo could have the rights to the alcohol in the aviva and uefa dont allow that, as the likes of amstel and heineken sponsor them.

its nothing to do with hooligans, rugby being better or the FAI being s*8te, your not allowed to sell it and that is that!

What about friendlies? You cant bring it into the stadium. Hipflask ftw.
    I remember enquiring about the vantage seats a year ago.I was told one of the advantages of buying vantage seats would be you would have your own bar which was exclusive to vantage tickets holders only.

Was this bull?
    I'd say the FAI would tell you anything to sell those seats. If I won the euromillions I still wouldn't but one.

Free drink in the corporate boxes yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ya, i would think somewhere in the rules, its permitted to have alcohol in premium and corporate levels, i though that goes without saying really.

its the general admission tickets thats not allowed have alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Was this bull?

I had a few pints last night in the Premium level ;)

• Advertisement

will1977 wrote: »

Did you pay or where they free?

I smell a Hippo !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Not in the regular areas of the stadium, only in premium/corporate.

It was.Got an overpriced drink myself

You must have been in the premium level then.

fullstop wrote: »
    Not in the regular areas of the stadium, only in premium/corporate.

You must have been in the premium level then.

Wish I was.I was in the east stand and they where selling drink at the arge game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

What's with these laughable fair play messages before each game now?? You'd think they'd get a microphone that works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wish I was.I was in the east stand and they where selling drink at the arge game

I was in the East stand too and couldn't find anywhere selling beer :confused:

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »

I had a beer at the 6 nations game I was at last year and at a few Hurling championship matches in Croker this summer, so you can have drink in Croke Park for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I was very impressed with the new Aviva stadium lastnight but it was apity there wasnt much buzz or atmosphere within the stadium itself.There was a small crowd behind the goal trying to get the place singing but it never took off and fell flat almost immediately.I think they should reconsider ticket prices as 70euro for the lower and 50 for the upper is too much especially in the current climate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Thats like saying free education in Ireland.

Nothing is free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

mixednuts wrote: »
    FAI couldnt afford the ESB bill .

Thats what happens when you rip off supporters/kids with a ticket starting price of €50 , then fail to fill the stadium .

El Muppetaros !

kids can get tickets for a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

Was this bull?

Yeh, there are bars all around the vantage club area, €5 40 a pint and only guinness or carlsberg. I dunno what the athmosphere was like in the rest of the stadium but it was crap in the vantage section. I came out for the 2nd half and was the only one in my row for the 1st 20 min. everyone else at the bar. Hopefully the bigger games the crowd will stay out and watch it, create a bit of atmosphere but I wouldn't be so sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Nope there were selling sandwiched, I kid you not.

On this whole beer thing

Was beer every available in non premium or corporate sections for soccer games in Croke Park ?

I do not belive it is a UEFA rule, unless it's a recent one, as I got well and truly sloshed on German stuff and the Ireland v Georgia game in Mainz a few years back.
    :pac: your joking right?
    I was at that game, its was alcohol-FREE beer they served!
    I got suckered too, although i made lots of money returning those beer cups :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

the atmosphere was rotten last night. Does it really take Ireland VS 'Big Nation' to generate some sorta atmosphere? I was there trying behind the goals with the others...few chants, but the rest of the ground wont sing or chant at all. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Not strictly the case, at Highbury you could buy beer on champions league nights in the bondholders restaurant(this was not a premium level by the way).

At the Emirates they sell beer but only in club level on champions league nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

the atmosphere was rotten last night. Does it really take Ireland VS 'Big Nation' to generate some sorta atmosphere? I was there trying behind the goals with the others...few chants, but the rest of the ground wont sing or chant at all. Depressing.

Always has done, no matter the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Did you pay or where they free?

€5.20 a pint !, Only Guiness or Carlsberg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

€5.20 a pint !, Only Guiness or Carlsberg

Seriously :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Beer is served at all man u games even champ league. Remember gettin few at half time during a celtic game a few yrs back.. On the aviva im not bothered bout gettin a pint but it wud be nice to have the option. As someone said its only 2hrs during a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

adamski8 wrote: »
    :pac: your joking right?
    I was at that game, its was alcohol-FREE beer they served!
    I got suckered too, although i made lots of money returning those beer cups :D

Before I started buying the stuff I had a good look at the beer stand and made sure the words 'alkoholfrei' were no where to be seen, and that's what I based my decision on.

If I was sloshed then it must have been on the 10 pints I had in the town earlier.

They glass return system was handy though

greenman09 wrote: »
    Beer is served at all man u games even champ league. Remember gettin few at half time during a celtic game a few yrs back.. On the aviva im not bothered bout gettin a pint but it wud be nice to have the option. As someone said its only 2hrs during a game

They definitely don't serve alcohol in Anfield on European nights. I remember walking up to the bar and thinking this is great no queue, to be greated by a girl dressed from head to foot in Carlsberg branded clothes including a had, only to be told 'No alcohol allowed on European nights'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

- Alcoholic drinks are not served at UEFA events.

- You can get beer in croke park for GAA and rugby when it was there. Never the soccer matches.

- Any beer you drank at Ireland away games in UEFA competitions was non-alcoholic. I was at Italy vs Ireland in Bari and it was non-alcoholic beer. They still did great sales as most people didn't realise :D

- Friendlies and pre-season games like the man utd game are not UEFA events so they can sell beer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement