Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun importers.

Options
  • 08-09-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I have been thinking for a while I would like to open a outdoors shop supplying. guns,ammo,fishing stuff,archery equipment and everything you need in the way hunting equipment.

I am just in the early stages and I am looking for gun importers and supliers to get some idea of prices.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

pachey100 wrote: »
    I have been thinking for a while I would like to open a outdoors shop supplying. guns,ammo,fishing stuff,archery equipment and everything you need in the way hunting equipment.

I am just in the early stages and I am looking for gun importers and supliers to get some idea of prices.

Any advice welcome.

Best of luck with your new venture. I hope it works out for you. A web site once you are up and running should help you expand your customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pachey100

Thanks. I am just in the very early stages just testing the water realy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Here's a useful link for you with regard to firearms dealer registration: http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Firearms_Dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Pity you aint thinking of opening a store in the Galway area, we badly need somone else. Ah you might expand:D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

I'd say you would find it very hard to get setup. I remember when Brenden Dowling set up in Galway. <mod snip> But you are right, Galway needs more choice <mod snip> than Duffys :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

pachey100 wrote: »

Any advice welcome.

You can look around other dealers, but prices can and will vary wildly depending on location and individual dealer.

I would sugest going straight to the suppliers.

Ardee sports. They are the main importers for Beretta, Sako, Tikka and a few others i think.

Gowan and Bradshaws in Galway. Main importers for Nightforce scopes and a few others.

Millard Brothers are main importers for Savage firearms and another brand i cannot remember.

Other dealers around the country are importers for other brand, but some are just importers not the sole agents so the opportunity to get in on the brand should not be too difficult. For example, Griffin and Hawe in Athy are importers for Sauer. If you ring Sauer they will tell you to go to Griffin and Hawes. There is definitely room for another agent so talk to G&H or ring Sauer directly and get speking to them. Same applies for other dealers with other brand names.

Best of luck with it and its good to see another (possible) dealer.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Not to put you off, but be prepared for a real struggle to get up and running and a lot of expense.

Getting accounts opened with the major distributors is difficult, if you can get an account opened they won't afford you credit, and will expect large orders (or the promise thereof ;) ) to make it worth their while to supply you.

You'll also find other gun shops will do their level best to make sure you don't get an account, fearing their own trade being affected. The threat of an established account jumping ship will affect a distributors decision to open an account for you or not.

Best of luck, but be under no illusion - its bloody hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    You can look around other dealers, but prices can and will vary wildly depending on location and individual dealer.

I would sugest going straight to the suppliers.

Ardee sports. They are the main importers for Beretta, Sako, Tikka and a few others i think.

Gowan and Bradshaws in Galway. Main importers for Nightforce scopes and a few others.
    REMINGTON IMPORTERS ;)

Millard Brothers are main importers for Savage firearms and another brand i cannot remember.

Other dealers around the country are importers for other brand, but some are just importers not the sole agents so the opportunity to get in on the brand should not be too difficult. For example, Griffin and Hawe in Athy are importers for Sauer. If you ring Sauer they will tell you to go to Griffin and Hawes. There is definitely room for another agent so talk to G&H or ring Sauer directly and get speking to them. Same applies for other dealers with other brand names.

Best of luck with it and its good to see another (possible) dealer.
    Could be expensive to start up.
    I'd consider selling ammo first to get a taste for it, similar licence not as tough on security requirements if only selling rimfire and shotty stuff.

You would need a lot of venture capital, hard to get at the moment (unless you have a redundancy payout**)

Something I'd love to do myself.
    Best of luck with it, but be prepared for CPO to break your heart. Let them tell you what "They" want & then install it ;)

well thanks for all the feed back I will keep you up to date on what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

best of luck with it pachey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Could be expensive to start up.
    I'd consider selling ammo first to get a taste for it, similar licence not as tough on security requirements if only selling rimfire and shotty stuff.
    There's not much difference tbh. The fee is smaller and perhaps the security requirements are a little less stringent (but that's not set in stone), but you have to go through fire reg approval as well as Garda and DoJ approval and possibly also planning permission.

I believe that almost half the dealers registered 10 years ago are gone, possibly even more than half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

rrpc wrote: »
    There's not much difference tbh. The fee is smaller and perhaps the security requirements are a little less stringent (but that's not set in stone), but you have to go through fire reg approval as well as Garda and DoJ approval and possibly also planning permission.

I believe that almost half the dealers registered 10 years ago are gone, possibly even more than half.

I still believe it's a good start, and less costly to find out is there a market for your wares.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

ill be in the day it opens to support you

ill be in the day it opens to support you

Il put the coffee on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fear tuath

I dont want to put you off or anything buy dont expect to a living from it.Margins are low,new regs on the way,huge outlay required,but its a good hobby to have,best of luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

A friend once old me that to make a small fortune in Ireland, it was a good plan to start off with a large fortune.

Best of luck, anyhow.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

the first million is the hardest to make. Past that it is easy !
    Good luck

Advertisement