Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought a Volvo, need to change it, not suitable for commute

• 08-09-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭

So heres the issue,

Bought a 2005 Volvo V50 In February and have been doing my commute 126km each way until now.

I cannot live with the thing anymore :)

Theres a rattle somewhere in the engine compartment thats driving me nuts, its not the DMF but they can't localise it, think it may be the heat shield or a rattly bearing somewhere :rolleyes:

Also one of the Brake rotors is after warping (no biggie, and change them over myself) And one of the bushings is worn.

And theres also a rattle in the cabin in the overhead area (No going dismantling it, would probably cause more rattles)

Maintenence is a pain in the arse, even changing the oil is a joke, having to remove the fuel pump to get at the oil filter is just bad design.

So my options are:

1. Fix some of the issues (replace brake rotors and pads) and bushing then sell it privately.

Or

2. Trade it in and get something else.

I've put up just over 20,000km on it since February, but want to get something thats decent for long distance driving, i'm kicking myself for not getting an Automatic, ended up listening to many folk saying Autos were crap etc :)

Any recommendations on a bullet proof easy to maintain car (thinking Honda Accord / Toyota Avensis) with a comfortable interior and decent Autobox ?

Forget about the road tax aspect a 2.0 litre Diesel here is the bones of 1300 a year to Tax, a 3.2 Litre LPG is around 1700, willing to pay upto 1700 / year on Road Tax to have something decent and not a Mickey mouse 1.6L Diesel.

Diesel is at 120/liter, Petrol 1.76 and LPG is 61/ liter.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Have you checked the plastic cover around the rear view mirror? Took about a year to trace random vibration noise in the wife's V50.

Evenetually a good smack on both sides of this cover put it back the way it was designed, and no further rattles have appeared.

Can't help with any other issues I'm afraid, and there aren't many decent diesels with Autoboxes unless you can go up to the past couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

R.O.R wrote: »
    Have you checked the plastic cover around the rear view mirror? Took about a year to trace random vibration noise in the wife's V50.

Yup ... found that alright , but no amount of moving it has removed the rattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Only the new Accord diesel has an auto option afaik. Don't think the Avensis diesel is available in auto but it could be on the Continent.

Maybe a Skoda Octavia Combi with DSG or BMW 320d Touring auto?

Yup ... found that alright , but no amount of moving it has removed the rattle.

Spent a few months moving it. It takes a serious smack so the seam aligns properly.

Any suggestions on a reliable large engined petrol auto would be welcomed too.

Preferably V6 2.5 - 3.5 liter.

Conversion to LPG will set me back around 1250 :)

• Advertisement

Not quite a V6, but the 2.0i VTEC in the Accord is available as an Auto and requires very little maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm doing over 300km a day in the manual version this at the moment. Lovely car i can't fault it. Resale value cos of the badge aside its a very solid car. But by the looks of it it also means your paying less than a similar accord or whatever. Works both ways i guess.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Sonata/2.0-4DR-/201033199230972/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

R.O.R wrote: »
    Not quite a V6, but the 2.0i VTEC in the Accord is available as an Auto and requires very little maintenance.

It was also available in 2.4 litre but still a 4 pot.

Lexus IS250 might be worth a look at too depending on budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

A Lexus GS300.

Bullet-proof engine & gearbox. Parts are cheap from USA.

(Ive have a 98 one for the last 4 years in daily use, 100% trouble free)

Good Suggestions, The Lexus is nice, been in one before, however the boot is to small to accomodate an LPG Tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Good Suggestions, The Lexus is nice, been in one before, however the boot is to small to accomodate an LPG Tank.

The 05+ yes, but plenty of room in the 98-05 model. There is a nice raised platform (3" higher) at the back of the boot. Perfect for an LPG tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

Saab 9-5 Griffin. Driving one at the moment. Lovely car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alfa 156 3.2 GTA V6 Sportwagon - getting very cheap now and it will still have plenty of poke after the LPG conversion

BMW 530d auto E39 or even a 540 4.4l V8 auto :D

Both will eat your many motorway miles with ease and a good bit faster than 130km/h :D

Advertisement