Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Lights

Options
  • 08-09-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need to get three security lights for outside the house. I want them all on
    sensors and I need the area they light to be accurately controlled.

I have no experience of doing this.

Should I attempt this myself ?
    If not, what should I pay ?
    What are the best lights with the best sensors ?
    How long should it take ?

Any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

steinal halogen fittings are of good quallity, the hs5140 pir halogen would cost about 62 euro. you have the option of just buying the halogen fitting and fitting a separate pir sensor, this might give you more accuracy in relation to the field of vision of the pir.
    again steinal are good quality as are abb busch watchers.
    a 90 deg bushwatcher will set you back about 44 euro and a 140 degree steinal is about 49 euro.
    a cheap and cheerfull pir halogen with integrated pir will set you back about 15 euro.
    depending if you want all the lights to come on one sensor or be independant of each other will depend on how you wire them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Thanks for that. What is the significance of the degrees ?
    Yes I want them independant of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the degrees is the field of vision, the higher degree the wider the field is and the lower the degrees the more focused the field is. for most domestic applications a 90 degree will do but again it depends on the are you need to cover.
    however the wider the area you need the pir to cover may also mean you might neeed more then one fitting to light it. there is no point in having a pir covering an area if the light isnt covering the same ammount of area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I have no experience of doing this.

Should I attempt this myself ?
    If not, what should I pay ?
    What are the best lights with the best sensors ?
    How long should it take ?

Get an electrician in. its nearly impossible to price the job as we have no idea how far apart the lights are going to be, where you want the switches mounted, where the consumer unit is etc etc.......

Advertisement