Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

serfboard wrote: »
    Is that Terry Dolan, the Hiberno-English guy ye're on about? Used to always enjoy hearing him on the radio. Good to hear that he's back on again.

Yeah it was him alright. He sounded well considering...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

neris wrote: »
    Was that the word professor? He had a stroke a while back. He used to be on moncrieff and was very good the stroke would have some affect on his speech so while not seeming enthusiastic he probably is just very hard when muscles in the fae and mouth are gone

In that case I apologise, I didn't have any problem understanding him it was just that he didn't seem at all interested in his subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Yakuza wrote: »
    Skinny malink maleogeon legs, umberella feet,
    Went to the cinema couldn't get a seat,
    Skinny Malink farted, then the crowd parted,
    Skinny malink maleogeon legs, umberella feet.

That's what I remember. Yes, it's umberella (the way a Duuuuub would say umbrella!))

A good piece on auld phrases. Pat saying them sounded a bit stilted - like he's saying to himself ("how does one say these frightfully odd phrases??") :)

Think it was Melodeon legs....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Only listening to this now on the late night repeat.

Great to hear Terry Dolan again.

I loved his contributions to Moncrieff's show a few years back.

I hope we hear more of him regularly, even if its only once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

The Reich Ambassador is on the show. I tuned in late so didn't hear the introduction and seriously thought it was your man from Irish Pictorial Weekly for a few seconds. He has the accent and voice of the ambassador down perfectly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Mmm...steak....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Carnivore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sirloin steak for the the dogs?

They eat better then I do! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Another piece of crap on yesterday's sport news. Pat got all excited coz Rory Mcilroy got hit by a snowball while being interviewed on tv. Pat then plays the clip and has a good chuckle to himself after. Was as pointless as the cooking slot

Wonder will pat be a track cycling expert today?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Looks like Stone got his figures on Sunday overtime a little bit awry !

Hope Pat does not let it drop and confirms the true rate by end of show.!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Gardai getting paid €85 a shift? Good one, PJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Catherine, if somebody needs to have it explained to them how to calculate cooking times, perhaps they shouldn't be cooking a roast.

Also, "There;s this great thing, a meat thermometer?" - how patronising, indeed we have heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I used to find Catherine Fulvio fairly down to earth but more recently she seems to be getting lessons from the MLOD school of presentation.

Catherine, if somebody needs to have it explained to them how to calculate cooking times, perhaps they shouldn't be cooking a roast.

Also, "There;s this great thing, a meat thermometer?" - how patronising, indeed we have heard of it.

You would be surprised. Irish people tend to fall into the category of overcook it to an inch or charcoal or undercook to a point where it has its own eco system. Any time I pull out my meat thermometer when cooking for guests I almost always get "wow I've never seen one of those before!"

It just shows that most of these union leaders are just wind up professional complainers. They don't actually work as one of those they represent and after 15 or 20 years in the Union HQ they haven't a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭patspost

There was a nedical doc / musician on Tuesday show first thing, he mentioned a tune/ piece of music, Phares requim (spelling), I cant seem to find that segment on the podcast.
    Anybody have a link to that segment or the name of that particular piece of music?
    Tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

patspost wrote: »
    There was a nedical doc / musician on Tuesday show first thing, he mentioned a tune/ piece of music, Phares requim (spelling), I cant seem to find that segment on the podcast.
    Anybody have a link to that segment or the name of that particular piece of music?
    Tks
    It's spelled Faure. You may have more luck with that spelling! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

touts wrote: »
    It just shows that most of these union leaders are just wind up professional complainers. They don't actually work as one of those they represent and after 15 or 20 years in the Union HQ they haven't a clue!
    Pat had a fella on from the Fire Officers Association talking about the Front Line Alliance the other day. Yer man said that as opposed to other unions, organisations like his were represented by people actually doing the job (as opposed to the likes of SIPTU, who are full-time union representatives), and that this is why they tend to be more militant, since the likes of the SIPTU people won't be directly affected by the cuts they're negotiating on.

I think he might also have included the GRA in that group too - i.e. as an "association" and not a union, and therefore being represented by people actually doing the job and not sitting in "Union" HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

In defense of the GRA ( and I'm the last to do that ) its an "association" because gardai unions are illegal. It's actually illegal for them to strike period hence the blue flu .

I LOVE that 56k figure though.

Remarkably its the same average wage a teacher got , and a nurse , and the average staffer in RTE .

FUNNY how 15yrs of bertie ahern got so many lads the same wage. And a wage 20k over the average the rest of us were on.

Simple fact is ahern threw money at em and now were paying for it.

Mark my words all that gosh is gonna go and all the above will be back on 35k a year one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I agree, she is way too eager, enthusiastic and patronising in what is really just a filler slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I agree, she is way too eager, enthusiastic and patronising in what is really just a filler slot.

Although I can tolerate her far more that other "celeb" cooks, I find she has that really annoying habit of thinking people listening have never picked up a saucepan in their lives and anything that doesn't come out of a chipper is "posh". :mad:

Rozanne Stevens was far better in that slot. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Catherine Fulvio has an unusual effect on me as a radio listener: she seems very likeable, almost like an eager puppy - but, even though I cook, I don't listen to what she says; I think I am overwhelmed by enthusiasm overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I thought Pats show had a great week before last the 11 to 15th Feb, almost every show was interesting and balanced, with a good mix of topical items, reporters and guests. This week was average.

I notice they are stuffing the PK Show with ad breaks now, its getting fairly crazy with one every 10 to 15 minutes.

P.S Agree about Fulvio, I turn off while shes on.... nothing personal I also switch off the South African cookery wan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

On another note, I'm surprised at PJ Stone making a boo boo like that. He should have been only too well aware that someone, be it one of PK's team, a listener, or as it transpired, Team Shatter, would have been only too happy to jump in with a correction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

On another note, I'm surprised at PJ Stone making a boo boo like that. He should have been only too well aware that someone, be it one of PK's team, a listener, or as it transpired, Team Shatter, would have been only too happy to jump in with a correction.

Didn't hear the end of the show ..was it corrected on air ?

Stone was very definite on his figures.....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Pat came back on it with a bit of mental arithmetic (based on Stone's figures for Sunday working), and then said that the DoJ had been on to clarify the starting salary of a garda to be 56k (I think?).

The arithmetically confused PJ had, by then, left.

Thing is, I actually support the gardai, up to a point. I just don't have any time for bullsh1t :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

PJ Stone said that the Garda only gets €169 for double pay on Sunday.
    Kenny (trained engineer don't ya know) then quickly worked out that normal daily pay is €85, so a five day week including Sunday would be €500 or €25k pa. Stone was caught there and could not answer this, even though Kenny persisted. The conversation moved on.
    The Department of Justice then called in to say that average pay across all Garda below Sergeant rank is €56k pa.

Fair play to Kenny for tackling Stone on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's one of many areas where people select the numbers that best suit their case, but do not actually tell lies. I heard the item, and didn't spend too much time worrying about it: it seemed obvious to me that Stone was describing the premium that Gardaí get for Sunday work, so it boils down to €169 for a day's work, and a premium of €169 on top of it.

I agree that Stone didn't perform too well when Kenny challenged him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It's one of many areas where people select the numbers that best suit their case, but do not actually tell lies. I heard the item, and didn't spend too much time worrying about it: it seemed obvious to me that Stone was describing the premium that Gardaí get for Sunday work, so it boils down to €169 for a day's work, and a premium of €169 on top of it.

I agree that Stone didn't perform too well when Kenny challenged him.

I can't understand why Stone just didn't say how much is been deducted from that 169 euro (which is probably a Garda on max pay) and tell Pat Kenny how many of his members slept in their cars last night because they couldn't afford to drive home. That's the reality across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's not what Stone said. He said double pay on Sunday of €169.
    Otherwise Kenny would not have followed through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement