Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

bbability wrote: »

I can't understand why Stone just didn't say how much is been deducted from that 169 euro (which is probably a Garda on max pay) and tell Pat Kenny how many of his members slept in their cars last night because they couldn't afford to drive home. That's the reality across the country.
    Oh really, two guards live on the same road as me.

One drives an 11 BMW 6 series, and the other drives a 13 quashquai.

Not exactly struggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I can't understand why Stone just didn't say how much is been deducted from that 169 euro (which is probably a Garda on max pay) and tell Pat Kenny how many of his members slept in their cars last night because they couldn't afford to drive home. That's the reality across the country.

Being totally ridiculous serves nobody's argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Oh really, two guards live on the same road as me. One drives an 11 BMW 6 series, and the other drives a 13 quashquai.

I think there is one issue that a lot of people refuse to acknowledge. The traditional guard was happy enough with just the Garda wage, bought a modest house, and could live well enough on that. But during the 2000s a lot were looking at their (now bankrupt) friends lording it over them, and wanted a piece of the pie.. They got themselves highly leveraged, bought the big house and the big car, invested in second houses and other property "projects".. some got sideline jobs as well to help support it.

It seems that just because they are State employees, the word "greed" is never associated with them in the way that it is automatically labelled on anybody in the private sector who is similarly leveraged and took similarly risky lines of investment.

I dont wish the situation on any of them, I'm sure they are under a lot of pressure, but I dont think it's right that they come playing the poor mouth because they can no longer afford their investments, despite earning a Garda wage that is well above the average industrial wage...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

tell Pat Kenny how many of his members slept in their cars last night because they couldn't afford to drive home. That's the reality across the country.
    Lol. You cannot be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

snubbleste wrote: »
    PJ Stone said that the Garda only gets €169 for double pay on Sunday.
    Kenny (trained engineer don't ya know) then quickly worked out that normal daily pay is €85, so a five day week including Sunday would be €500 or €25k pa. Stone was caught there and could not answer this, even though Kenny persisted. The conversation moved on.
    The Department of Justice then called in to say that average pay across all Garda below Sergeant rank is €56k pa.

Fair play to Kenny for tackling Stone on this.

€56,000 per annum pay for guards is crazy money. I thought they would be making around 40k to 45k (average).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

MMMMMM.......find it hard to believe that my friend ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Oh really, two guards live on the same road as me.

One drives an 11 BMW 6 series, and the other drives a 13 quashquai.

Not exactly struggling!

Yeah..thats my point...things don't seem to add up.

Lookit ! If a cop got above himself an invested in property ....which went belly up he / she can hardly expect the taxpayer to fund that particular exercise.

We expect cops to live simple uncomplicated lives and live in modest accomodation.

If they stray outside these norms why the freek should they be funded by John Q Taxpayer ?

Why ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

There was just a half an hour slot with two theologians talking about, among other things, 'the historical reality of the twelve apostles'.

It was terrifying because they both sound like intelligent men and it was half an hour on the flagship national broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Your one has a ten-year-old, and is cutting back on the heating, and is heading off to Benidorm next week? Get off down the yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Your one has a ten-year-old, and is cutting back on the heating, and is heading off to Benidorm next week? Get off down the yard!

Joan Burton should be made spend a week on passport control in Dublin Airport to see first hand how a significant amount of welfare is spent in this country. Bloody disgraceful on the day tens of thousands face more pay cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

In a neutral country, I just wish somebody would say to these soldiers, 'Honestly, what did you think you were signing up for?'
    The world is old enough, there is enough info out there about the job, if you sign up for the army of the whipping boy of a superpower then you SHOULD know what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Jaysus lads you swear jack has fuk all to do with helping screw up this country if ya listened to him just now .

Sickening hypocracy

There was just a half an hour slot with two theologians talking about, among other things, 'the historical reality of the twelve apostles'.

It was terrifying because they both sound like intelligent men and it was half an hour on the flagship national broadcaster.

I thought that was a comedy slot :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

......and the partner never worked:eek:

I've just listened to this slot on podcast and I couldnt believe what I was hearing, absolutely unbelievable:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

jimmyw wrote: »
    ......and the partner never worked:eek:

I've just listened to this slot on podcast and I couldnt believe what I was hearing, absolutely unbelievable:mad:

Same here. I was driving while that was on and was not too sure if I heard it right the first time. I have just listened back unbelievable stuff,off to Benidorm for a week with the girls and then a family holiday in June. All while no one in the house is working :mad::mad::mad::mad:

mobby wrote: »
    Same here. I was driving while that was on and was not too sure if I heard it right the first time. I have just listened back unbelievable stuff,off to Benidorm for a week with the girls and then a family holiday in June. All while no one in the house is working :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    The big thing that got me was more the fact that she has a ten year old at home and is cutting down on the heating, but can go on a holiday. Keeping her child warm should be a priority, I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The big thing that got me was more the fact that she has a ten year old at home and is cutting down on the heating, but can go on a holiday. Keeping her child warm should be a priority, I would have thought.

Maybe that was her idea of keeping her kids warm.....bring them to a warmer place!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

She probably thinks it is the state's responsibility.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Maybe that was her idea of keeping her kids warm.....bring them to a warmer place!
    My understanding from the interview is that she was going to Benidorm on her own with her friends.

My understanding from the interview is that she was going to Benidorm on her own with her friends.

Well at least she would be warm.....so that's alright then.

• Advertisement

Good God, not another foodie!

Good God, not another foodie!
    Don't say anything about Mary Berry! She's great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

Don't say anything about Mary Berry! She's great! :)
    Ha, have to agree, I love Mary Berry. Hate baking but she's brilliant!

Ha, have to agree, I love Mary Berry. Hate baking but she's brilliant!

Just another book promotion!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

Just another book promotion!
    What's new? You won't find a 'celebrity' on TV or radio these days who is not promoting something they want to sell unless perhaps it's for some sort of charity. Even then, that's still promotion.

Celebrities rarely give away anything that will alienate 'their' public. However, Mary Berry may be a shrewd promoter but she also comes across as a really nice individual so I'm all for her.

What's new? You won't find a 'celebrity' on TV or radio these days who is not promoting something they want to sell unless perhaps it's for some sort of charity. Even then, that's still promotion.

Celebrities rarely give away anything that will alienate 'their' public. However, Mary Berry may be a shrewd promoter but she also comes across as a really nice individual so I'm all for her.
    Also, if you follow her recipes, they actually work and turn out nice. Some other celebrity "chefs" make a lot of money selling recipes that don't even work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"I think I'm worth twice what I'm paid"..

These people are really delusional.. You are worth whatever the employer has to pay for you, simple as that.. If you think you can do better, leave the job and find something else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

She said it was a girls holiday, which to me meant with her mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not saying he is wrong but my God Jim Cusack has never knowingly undersold the "dissident threat". Wish he'd get rid of that quiver makes him sound slightly untrustworthy.

• Advertisement

For God's sake ... the pope again, would he ever go & give us peace

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement