Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I think its time we started a SPOt THE FRIGGIN BANJO bingo on this thread. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Lapin wrote: »
    I think Pat might be wrong for once. :eek:

He suggested that placing an X on a ballot paper is in indication of a vote.

I don't think so.

But then - Horror of all horrors - I could be wrong too :eek::eek::eek:

Does anyone out there know the truth :confused:

Listening to Newstalk this morning, Ivan Yates was explaining on filling out the voting slip. He said that if you use an X or a tick on the slip then the vote is not counted because they cannot tell who the number 1 vote went too and so on. He said that put 1, 2 and 3 in order of your preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jesus i thought that song would NEVER end !

what is it with pat and crap music.

I think Pat might be wrong for once. :eek:

He suggested that placing an X on a ballot paper is in indication of a vote.

I don't think so.

But then - Horror of all horrors - I could be wrong too :eek::eek::eek:

Does anyone out there know the truth :confused:

an X is ok if you only vote for ONE person.

more than one X results in a spoiled vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

jesus i thought that song would NEVER end !

what is it with pat and crap music.

A few years ago you'd only get music is the summer on his show now its every flipping day pretty much. Another example of slipping standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

an X is ok if you only vote for ONE person.

more than one X results in a spoiled vote.

That's my reading of it.

But really, people should be able to scrawl a '1' on the ballot rather than an 'x'.

SkidMark wrote: »
    That's my reading of it.

But really, people should be able to scrawl a '1' on the ballot rather than an 'x'.

True, but for some people voting here for the first time, such advice may be useful. In many countries (UK for example) an X is all that is required on a ballot paper to register a vote.

Its no harm to highlight that this method of voting may not apply in Ireland.

i think its a hangover from when we had chronically high illiteracy rates.

an X was all alot of people knew how to do, up to and including their own names when signing legal documents.

but hey theres no harm in asking. the gov has never gone out of its way to explain to people how PR works , mainly as it suits their purposes (seriously , WHY hasnt this been taught in school since the foundation of the state ? ) something i have to give credit to newstalk for the last few days.

most people will vote 1 2 3 for who they want , but a few like me will be voting tactically to try and keep some people OUT as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Day after the biggest weekend in politics in probably a decade at least, and Pat is spending the second hour talking to Barbara Dixon, and someone yank about depression... cmon Pat, today of all days the second hour of the show is justified in being ALL politics..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Day after the biggest weekend in politics in probably a decade at least, and Pat is spending the second hour talking to Barbara Dixon, and someone yank about depression... cmon Pat, today of all days the second hour of the show is justified in being ALL politics..

Did you miss the riveting segment on movie locations?

• Advertisement

Good row between Pat and Frank Buttimer at the moment.. Buttimer defending the gravy train that is Free Legal Aid (well done Mary Robinson :( )..

kinda ironic when ya think about the one pats on !

:)

i cant be the only one thinking that the state could do to its broadcasting fraternity what he proposed for the legal profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Now covering the issue that's on the everyone's mind, home made hummus.

Marie Louise O'Dramatic on the Friday gathering.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PPPPPLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ

Its the one part of the week on PK that I actually look forward to.:(

Ye, it was a good show today ... we besides the cooking and Lucinde Creighton continually saying "eeeemmmmm"...

Cant stand MLOD either. She's always the gong of the orchestra..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ye, it was a good show today ... we besides the cooking and Lucinde Creighton continually saying "eeeemmmmm"...

Cant stand MLOD either. She's always the gong of the orchestra..

Is MLOD the epitome of how much of a cushy number our third level lecturers have it? Isn't she supposed to be a lecturer in DCU? It seems to me as if she spends most of her mornings on the Pat Kenny Show, either as a roving reporter or as a talking head whilst presumably drawing a salary from her teaching job. Nice work if you can get it.

As a west of Ireland person (but not Mayo), MLOD's piece on PK now is bordering on the insulting.

"Whiff of turf and porridge" and a shítload of other stereotypes I've never heard of.

Such utter bollox.

I've never complained directly to a radio show before.

Email on its way to "Today with Pat Kenny" now.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

As a west of Ireland person (but not Mayo), MLOD's piece on PK now is bordering on the insulting.

"Whiff of turf and porridge" and a shítload of other stereotypes I've never heard of.

Such utter bollox.

If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time. RTE dismiss the vast majority of complaints, unless they think that to do otherwise would involve a trip to the four courts. Besides, PK said she was using "poetic license" so that makes it all right, then :rolleyes: How much longer is that windbag O'Donnell going to be allowed to pollute the airwaves?

Wester wrote: »
    Besides, PK said she was using "poetic license" so that makes it all right, then :rolleyes: How much longer is that windbag O'Donnell going to be allowed to pollute the airwaves?

To be fair, Pat at least read out a lot of the non-complimentary texts... granted she was gone at that stage... but he still read them out... I wish they would just get rid of her. Sick of her blathering on, and she seems to be getting more frequently getting a place on panel-type shows... which is annoying..

Did that correspondent on the phone to PK just now take his false teeth out and clear his throat ? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Such utter bollox.

I listened to this segment on the podcast yesterday and couldn't believe some of the stuff I was hearing. It was as if she had discovered a long lost tribe deep in the Amazon. It's only a couple of hours drive away on a tiny island, no need to describe other people like they're from another planet. It was pointless radio, and I was also relieved Pat read out some texts and emails from other people who thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time. RTE dismiss the vast majority of complaints, unless they think that to do otherwise would involve a trip to the four courts.

Do you have personal experience of this?

Because my personal experience tells me the opposite is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pat your taste in music (or that of your prodcuer) is awful.

mike65 wrote: »
    Pat your taste in music (or that of your prodcuer) is awful.

Pat's (apparent) budget for music acts for The Pat Kenny Show 2011:

2939662-money-gift-large-envelope-with-many-twenty-euro-notes.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Pat's (apparent) budget for music acts for The Pat Kenny Show 2011:

2939662-money-gift-large-envelope-with-many-twenty-euro-notes.jpg

Wouldn't be that much, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Bard wrote: »
    Do you have personal experience of this?

Because my personal experience tells me the opposite is the case.

Yes, i have personal experience of RTE not taking complaints seriously and actually being quite dismissive and nonchalant about them. Opened my eyes about the nature of broadcasting, certainly as far as RTE is concerned, and the handling of certain stories. If you had a positive experience re. complaints, that's great, but it's not been my experience. I guess it depends on the item being complained about. In respect of the Mary Louise O'Donnell item on Enda Kenny's "homecoming" I'd imagine RTE would use the "poetic license" "individual opinion" arguments if any official complaints were made and stand over the piece. I'd love to be proven wrong; it might restore a little of my faith in RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yes, i have personal experience of RTE not taking complaints seriously and actually being quite dismissive and nonchalant about them. Opened my eyes about the nature of broadcasting, certainly as far as RTE is concerned, and the handling of certain stories. If you had a positive experience re. complaints, that's great, but it's not been my experience. I guess it depends on the item being complained about. In respect of the Mary Louise O'Donnell item on Enda Kenny's "homecoming" I'd imagine RTE would use the "poetic license" "individual opinion" arguments if any official complaints were made and stand over the piece. I'd love to be proven wrong; it might restore a little of my faith in RTE.

Won't happen, all you will get is a gereric reply, saying nothing.

waste of time.

anyone listening to dennis o brien on pat kenny ?

total LOL fest.

i swear it like listening to bertie again with all the talks about "MY house" and when pushed by pat on why he doest take a case to get the report put aside he basically said all the judges are in it together !

:):):)

poor little billionaire.

im just waiting for a "your all out to git me "!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

anyone listening to dennis o brien on pat kenny ?

total LOL fest.

i swear it like listening to bertie again with all the talks about "MY house" and when pushed by pat on why he doest take a case to get the report put aside he basically said all the judges are in it together !

:):):)

poor little billionaire.

im just waiting for a "your all out to git me "!

Priceless. He and, let us be aware, his many minions have spent the last four days condemning the Moriarty Report, and now he claims it wasn't even written by him!!!:D

BTW, did anyone hear Kenny apologising to him (when he thought they were off air) for having to say that the views expressed were not those of RTE?

And, finally, who in their right mind would call John Waters in their defence?:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The panel they have on now includes a shrill Indo hack whose sole contribution is to defend O Brien and Lowry whilst giving the obligatory disclaimer at the start that she's impartial.
    That's all I've read from the Independent hacks and heard from Newstalk stooges all week.
    Anyone who heard Yates and Donoghue on Newstalk during the week can confirm that.

The public outing of the inbreeding and subservience of bought hacks left, right and centre this week is one of the biggest things to come out of Moriarty.

And it'll be worse this weekend with O Brien's little servants on radio and in the Sundays.
    A lot of talking heads are being outed this week!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement