Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Christ, SOMEBODY in RTE can pronounce Olivia O'Leary's name right... I thought my radio was broken..

Here we go for the MLOD "trip"... ALL ABOARD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

After her pas of faux last week, she should have been fined a months worth of appearances and been kept off our radios for same.

"And had I been younger, Myles.... " *nudge nudge, wink wink*

It still would have taken him less time to cut off both his ears than it took Vincent Van Gough to cut off one..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Can we get Michael McDowell back on after Senator MLOD's jabbering to remind us again how invaluable the Seanad is ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Pass the fupping bucket !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Tina Leonard stating the obvious again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Christ, SOMEBODY in RTE can pronounce Olivia O'Leary's name right... I thought my radio was broken..
    Nope, they can't. Olivia O'Leary actually pronounces it the "wrong" way, heard her a couple of months ago saying that is the way it should be pronounced.

Mary O'Rourke on Newstalk now just giving a third reason today to get rid of the Seanad... She's actually just agreed with Jonathan Healy that the only reason she was in the Seanad was because she lost her seat, yet she said she accepted a Seanad seat as she wanted to remain in public service and a part of the democratic process....

So she was democratically rejected by the electorate and took a job handed to her by her party... That's some form of democratic process she's part of alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Mary O'Rourke on Newstalk now just giving a third reason today to get rid of the Seanad... She's actually just agreed with Jonathan Healy that the only reason she was in the Seanad was because she lost her seat, yet she said she accepted a Seanad seat as she wanted to remain in public service and a part of the democratic process....

So she was democratically rejected by the electorate and took a job handed to her by her party... That's some form of democratic process she's part of alright..

That is exactly the point ... The Seanad is full of people who either:

1. were rejected by the electorate (some on a number of occasions)
    2. don't have the bottle to face the electorate in the first place
    3. think they are too "eletist" to have to actually face the grubby man/woman in the street.

Not only is it undemocratic it is anti-democratic and actually usurps the democratic will of the people. High time it was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Pity some of you here wouldn't pop up over to the Politics Forum where most posters seem to think that abolishing the Seanad would mean the end of life on the planet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056958363

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Shut the shop and anyone wishing to be involved in politics can run for the Dail.

The Dail should be cut too. 80 useless feckers is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

and as for going on about mary robinson, theres alot of people think she took us for a ride to get a "better " job in the UN.

Those people are idiots. I think the majority of people accept that she was a great president, who did more in her single term than most of her predecessors combined. And very few (sane) people begrudge her decision to accept the position of UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
    Callan57 wrote:
    That is exactly the point ... The Seanad is full of people who either:

1. were rejected by the electorate (some on a number of occasions)
    2. don't have the bottle to face the electorate in the first place
    3. think they are too "eletist" to have to actually face the grubby man/woman in the street.

Not only is it undemocratic it is anti-democratic and actually usurps the democratic will of the people. High time it was gone.

The system through which we elect our TDs gives a huge advantage to people who are very good at dealing with local issues (and sometimes not a lot else). It's not about "elitism". If someone like Professor John Crown, for example, was to resign from St Vincent's Hospital (which would be a crying shame) and run in the next general election as an independent TD, he'd probably have a reasonably good chance of getting elected (especially on the basis of his Seanad performance). However, I can't imagine his constituents being too happy about him neglecting their local needs in favour of speaking out about national issues.

I'd be in favour of a smaller, nationally elected Seanad with no constituencies and no party whips. I just hope Fine Gael keep sending idiots like Paschal Donohoe out to argue in favour of its abolition.

Pity some of you here wouldn't pop up over to the Politics Forum where most posters seem to think that abolishing the Seanad would mean the end of life on the planet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056958363

are ya mad ?

its easy enough to get banned here as it is without risking the nutters in the politics section !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Wanted to post about Marie Louise yesterday but didnt get the chance...

First off, why did RTE pay for her to go off on a jolly on a tour bus and not bring back any audio?

We were left with quotes from people she'd met on this thing...pretty poor.

Also next time she's on PK should give her a trowel, she lays it on so thick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Good to hear Pat.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

after endless days of Shatter Vs Wallace are we now being subjected to days/weeks of getting rid of the seanad debate by know it all intellectuals and people afraid of loosing their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

neris wrote: »
    after endless days of Shatter Vs Wallace are we now being subjected to days/weeks of getting rid of the seanad debate by know it all intellectuals and people afraid of loosing their jobs
    Would you prefer that the debate be conducted by non-intellectuals?

Ok this is a bug bear of mine, but just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it is not a chemical! Everything is a chemical of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

However inaccurate, the term chemical has very strong connotations of something that has been prepared in an artifical manner, even though there are plenty of naturally-occurring chemicals in existence.

• Advertisement

Yakuza wrote: »
    However inaccurate, the term chemical has very strong connotations of something that has been prepared in an artifical manner, even though there are plenty of naturally-occurring chemicals in existence.
    Something produced in an artificial manner isn't necessarily bad though. Salt, NaCl, is a chemical, it's natural, and it's bad for you. It's just a bit simplistic to divide things into natural = good vs chemical/artificial = bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Not disagreeing with you, just my take on the perception that's out there, however misguided it may be.

Excuse me while I slurp down my tea, liberally laced with [latex]C_{12}H_{22}O_{11}[/latex] :)

Is that Fionná Sheehan's brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Something produced in an artificial manner isn't necessarily bad though. Salt, NaCl, is a chemical, it's natural, and it's bad for you. It's just a bit simplistic to divide things into natural = good vs chemical/artificial = bad

Salt is bad for you in high quantities. But it is also an essential part of the diet. Too much salt might kill you but none at all will! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is that Fionná Sheehan's brother?

Really? There all in for a slice of the RTE pie. The gift that keeps on giving!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Seconds until Richard Boyd Barrett calls for taxing the rich in 5, 4, 3, 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

pointless debate this about europe. "trumpet blower" crighton Vs Richard "im against everything" boyd barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Lucinda facing both ways as usual :rolleyes:

jays lucy just say it.

ya wanna keep the senate cause you and yours might need it when their arses get kicked out next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

jays lucy just say it.

ya wanna keep the senate cause you and yours might need it when their arses get kicked out next election.

FG are still running high on the sheeple poll, what makes you think they will be kicked out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement