Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

gambiaman wrote: »
    The panel they have on now includes a shrill Indo hack whose sole contribution is to defend O Brien and Lowry whilst giving the obligatory disclaimer at the start that she's impartial.

I didn't hear the introductions, but I'm sure that was Noirin Hegarty? It did comes across as a very obvious planned defence alright, even if they actually are her own genuine opinions.

I'd say the shows producer went into "oh sh*t we're going to be sued" mode during O'Briens performance, although Pat did make sure to repeat the usual disclaimer....twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Cole wrote: »
    I didn't hear the introductions, but I'm sure that was Noirin Hegarty? It did comes across as a very obvious planned defence alright, even if they actually are her own genuine opinions.

I'd say the shows producer went into "oh sh*t we're going to be sued" mode during O'Briens performance, although Pat did make sure to repeat the usual disclaimer....twice.

Thanks for that, I recognise te voice now.
    Her "O Brien gave very, VERY convincing explanations for thsoe payments that ended up benefitting Lowry" sets her stall out.
    And no Noirin, the public aren't totally focussing on the cost of this no matter how you and your boss would like to spin it that way (costs and time which multiplied dramatically as your boss and his paid lackey stalled and halted the process for years)
    Another, useless bought hack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ulsterandy

Heard the interview and the mistake at the end with Kenny apologising for having to cover RTE and O'Brien saying "f**k it":D Priceless. However, I think O'Brien is right in a lot of his allegations, lots of smoke and mirrors in the good Judge's report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

ulsterandy wrote: »
    However, I think O'Brien is right in a lot of his allegations, lots of smoke and mirrors in the good Judge's report.

I don't think O'Brien was convincing at all in any of the 3 interviews of his I've heard, but the money trail in the report was. Follow the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ulsterandy wrote: »
    Heard the interview and the mistake at the end with Kenny apologising for having to cover RTE and O'Brien saying "f**k it":D

I thought he just said "that's ok"??
    Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/
    Just click on Listen to Latest Show to hear todays, but guess what......the O'Brien interview is missing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yeah,O'Brien just said "that's okay".
    The level of spin, O'Brien and his army of bought hacks are engaged in, is truly astonishing.
    His explanations are not credible and instead he chooses to describe it all as a vendetta. Pathetic.I hope he gets prosecuted and CAB take all his money.
    Why on earth is O'Brien paying Trappatonis wages if not to curry favour with a gullible public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

it takes me back to the lisbon 2 days.

there was a time a broadcaster would never dream about telling his listeners which way to vote but that all went out the window when sir anto and dennis wanted a particular result.

i suppose on the plus side it wakes people up to what weve actually got in terms of media.

if the country could do with anything its a healthy scepticism of what the powerful in this country are telling us through their vassels. hell at this stage if the saint vincent de pauls are found running kiddie sweatshop that'd pretty much be ALL institutions in the state debased.

im hard pressed to actually think of an aspect of irish society thats squeeky clean now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Today has been the dullest show in ages. Couldn't give a fig about any topics and the music is still crap. Kenny sounds a bit bored, probably can't wait for his hollidays to begin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brilliant forty failed politicians about to enter the back door, qualifier route to the former residence of the duke of Leinster. Going on and f..king on about changing this and that when ye havent a hope in hell of changing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

A mass of windbags on this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Have to say this Show has deteriorated badly over the past few months.

After the first hour, which is usually tight and topical, the pace and content drops into promos for some bands and groups which ,if I may be frank, will never be heard of again.

Used to be fairly compulsive listening, but not any more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Have to agree with previous poster...but in fairness 2 hours talk radio is difficult to fill...apart maybe from the morning progs which are news and event driven.
    One of my gripes with kenny is that he gives a regular slot to Irish songwriters or singer songwriters.

All laudable enough but in my entire time listening to Kenny I have never heard anything like a catchy,melodic tune of the type I might actually BUY.

Instead it's dirge after dirge of cliche ridden self indulgent caterwaulin...full of torturous lyrics and poorly constructed melodies.

Had on a chap based in Las Vegas this morn.....he was brutal...how he makes a livin peddlin that Sh1te is frankly beyond me.

So Planky....like a good lad ....drop this slot and give the hard pressed licence payers a break.

For all our sakes !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Miles Dungheap is on today. 20 minutes in and he is already finished with the news and is on to books and other stuff he can use in the coming months on his "live" history show. It never ceases to amaze me how they can have the balls to ask for texts to a sunday night show when the show is pre-recorded, many of the segments are repeats from old Pat Kenny shows AND the podcast for the show was available on the previous Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

This current item is right depressing stuff. :(

Murders and rapists.

I think I'd prefer Pat Kenny's banjo players at this stage.

20 minutes in and true to form Myles is using the opportunity to pre-record another slot for his Sunday Night radio "history" show. The history of Riots. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

touts wrote: »
    20 minutes in and true to form Myles is using the opportunity to pre-record another slot for his Sunday Night radio "history" show. The history of Riots. :rolleyes:

Was just about to post the exact same. Even Pat squeezes another 10 minutes out of current affairs in his current affairs show. 20 past 10: a new record.

Next up - baking with some random wan, some band we've never heard of, yet another book plugging session and maybe 5 minutes about the economy at the end...

I'm kidding about the last one. That would never happen.

Slow news day ?

Lets hope Paddy O'Gorman didn't leave the dog behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

dear jesus im losing the will to LIVE listening to this poetry crap.

with all thats going on in the world THIS is the best RTE can put out ?

god help us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ive given up on pat kenny show its the same tripe every day and that paddy ogorman is a head wrecker and that chap standing in for kenny is a dreary bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Myles is getting worse, he indulges himself more than Tubs now.

This is a taster for the summer schedule!!!

We really need to find some interesting morning radio or we'll all go insane

Any suggestions??

12 O'Clock- Thank the gods for Newstalk

Poly wrote: »
    Myles is getting worse, he indulges himself more than Tubs now.

We really need to find some interesting morning radio or we'll all go insane

Any suggestions??

There isn't really anything. Today FM, 2Fm and Newstalk are all trying win the same housewife market where some marketing consultants have told them that the Irish housewife is thick as two planks and only interested in base tabloid gossip.

Myles is WAY out of his depth in hosting a current affairs show. Injulging himself is putting it kindly. He fancies himself as an intellectual and perhaps a better presenter could make these slots interesting in a dedicated arts and culture show but but he simply does not have the ability to engage the average listener on these topics. RTE have largely relied on the same pool of presenters and backups for the last 20 years and they desperately need to recruit new blood or the station will be dead within the decade once their current crop reach retirement age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

.... they desperately need to recruit new blood or the station will be dead within the decade once their current crop reach retirement age.

I agree. Although I think they're planning on giving John Murray the Pat Kenny slot when he retires. That's RTE's idea of new blood. They're promoting Murray relentlessly for the last 12 months.

He fancies himself as an intellectual and perhaps a better presenter could make these slots interesting in a dedicated arts and culture show but but he simply does not have the ability to engage the average listener on these topics.

Yeah, Myles loves the whole intellectual persona, but always makes sure to show us that he's still one of the lads aswell, with his references to Arsenal and sport in general.
    Maybe that is the real Myles, but he just tries a bit too hard, painful to listen to.

I miss Pat over the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Tom McGurk used to make a much better fill-in for Kenny but RTE have probably decided he's damaged goods after the 4FM disaster.

I've always liked Derek Davis, but again, he's tainted by 4 fm.

In fairness, it's not that hard a gig now, 40mins of current affairs then fluffy filler crap 'till 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dungheap is quite hard to listen to for more than 10-15 mins at a time. The show itself is quite mouldy far too much peripherial stuff like music and food. Why not develope some "inserts", there is not a single show for media analysis on Irish radio a 30 min slot one day a week would be a useful service.

It would be wonderful to have a genuinely new voice to fill in for the usual suspects, where are they?

• Advertisement

Big Tone wrote: »
    Tom McGurk used to make a much better fill-in for Kenny but RTE have probably decided he's damaged goods after the 4FM disaster.

I used to enjoy him when filling in for Pat, but he was a disaster on 4FM imo....just came across as rude and arrogant.
    I've always liked Derek Davis, but again, he's tainted by 4 fm.
    + 1 for Derek, one of the highlights of 4FM and yet they got rid of him, along with some of their better broadcasters, but kept the likes of Gareth O'Callagh'sham.:mad:

I don't necessarily think he's tainted by the 4FM circus. I think....because they decided to go the easy listening music route and ditch a lot of their current affairs stuff....Derek was a casualty of the re-branding.

Hopefully he'll get another opportunity somewhere, are you listening RTE? Please, not a summer of Myles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement