Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I agree with constitutionus 100%... Also truly shocking that Pat did not put it to her that it absolutely stinks that she effectively working for Fine Gael public relations department for the last six months, and that now she has been rewarded for this with more state money... I am actually a fan of Enda's and have a lot of respect for the guy, but this is absolutely disgraceful..

It's these sort of lauded academics that we need to REMOVE from the public pay bill, not increase their earnings.. The days when the state could afford to pay for academics to swan around radio and TV studios should be well gone at this stage.. Get them back in the lecture theatres, doing practical work, or let them off.. I feel that the fact that she has so much free time to contribute to these panel shows is indicative of how unnecessary her "job" is DCU actually is..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Interesting interview with Barry McGuigan on at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

padd b1975 wrote: »

I always enjoy his interviews, he's a smart guy.

I always enjoy his interviews, he's a smart guy.
    Yeah I agree did a lot of unpopular but right things outside the ring
    back in the day. A very decent guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Barry himself is certainly interesting and was a hero of mine back in the 80s for his refusal to be defined by flags and anthems etc, but I felt the interview this morning was a real soft soap effort

For example, the decision to fight for the British title which meant taking up a UK passport was mentioned alright - but absolutely zero context was given in the interview as to the reasons for those decisions and whether he has any changed perspective all these years later (my understanding is that these were basically business decisions devised by Barney Eastwood that Barry went along with quite understandably).

Barry did say this morning "I only had to open my mouth and people knew where I was from" -now that was a questionable statement in that in the 80s there was in fact huge doubt and confusion about where Barry was from and a lot of controversy about him being claimed by various tribes and I for one had always been under the impression that he didnt want to be "claimed" by any group. Thought it was worthy of some sort of follow up from Pat Kenny is all I am saying really.

OK, one wouldnt expect him to speak about something like the Eastwood libel case but there were a still lot of aspects relevant to his story which werent even mentioned by Pat K.

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Barry himself is certainly interesting and was a hero of mine back in the 80s for his refusal to be defined by flags and anthems etc, but I felt the interview this morning was a real soft soap effort

For example, the decision to fight for the British title which meant taking up a UK passport was mentioned alright - but absolutely zero context was given in the interview as to the reasons for those decisions and whether he has any changed perspective all these years later (my understanding is that these were basically business decisions devised by Barney Eastwood that Barry went along with quite understandably).

Barry did say this morning "I only had to open my mouth and people knew where I was from" -now that was a questionable statement in that in the 80s there was in fact huge doubt and confusion about where Barry was from and a lot of controversy about him being claimed by various tribes and I for one had always been under the impression that he didnt want to be "claimed" by any group. Thought it was worthy of some sort of follow up from Pat Kenny is all I am saying really.

OK, one wouldnt expect him to speak about something like the Eastwood libel case but there were a still lot of aspects relevant to his story which werent even mentioned by Pat K.
    Yeah fair points made there , in the context of this interview any criticism should be squared solely on Kennys
    Shoulders. Barry has worked in media a long time and is only going to answer whats asked.

Pat was a bit off the ball today.. especially during the discussion of the Mladic.. never heard him so uneducated on a subject.. he even admitted it himself..

I guess you just kind of take if for granted cos he's always so on top of his brief..

Pat was a bit off the ball today.. especially during the discussion of the Mladic.. never heard him so uneducated on a subject.. he even admitted it himself..

I guess you just kind of take if for granted cos he's always so on top of his brief..
    Summer holidays in the air me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Summer holidays in the air me thinks.

Eh good man Padd .. Listen... something intrigues me ?

April 2009 join ...76 posts and now you are all over the kip like a bad ballrash?

tell me the story :D

April 2009 join ...76 posts and now you are all over the kip like a bad ballrash?

Nothing suspicious to report! Just a long time lurker who decided to survey the scene before sharing my worldly experience. Hope that relieves your curiosity! No need to chew me up and spit me out like you did on your Wallace thread ha ha. maith an fear! See you around xx

• Advertisement

Also I am nothing like a bad
    ball rash thanks.... I think! But I stand corrected by your vastly superior know how of all things ball and anal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Nothing suspicious to report! Just a long time lurker who decided to survey the scene before sharing my worldly experience. Hope that relieves your curiosity! No need to chew me up and spit me out like you did on your Wallace thread ha ha. maith an fear! See you around xx

No just wondering, delighted you have decided to come out of the shadows.

I'm hoping you have a long and satisfying career on boards, and not to sound patronising ,your honesty is very refreshing.

You will always have a friend in the Flutther.

No just wondering, delighted you have decided to come out of the shadows.

I'm hoping you have a long and satisfying career on boards, and not to sound patronising ,your honesty is very refreshing.

You will always have a friend in the Flutther.
    Go raibh maith agat a chicín! Long way to go to reach 10000 plus posts but everyone was a new kid once. Thanks for the recognition of honesty, right back at ya!
    Place is swarming with vested interests, keep up the good fight.

David Norris on now!

He's responding well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Listen, when the interview came out he could of sued the pants off HLB. He didnt, why? as she'd tapes of the conversations. Fast forward 9 years i hope she still has the tapes. I hope she produces them. He clearly has liberal views on sex...

Listen, when the interview came out he could of sued the pants off HLB. He didnt, why? as she'd tapes of the conversations. Fast forward 9 years i hope she still has the tapes. I hope she produces them. He clearly has liberal views on sex...

Liberal views on sex /= paedophilia/incest supporter

Kenny is giving him too much of a free run.

Get your father at once! Beautiful manners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its up to her now to come up with the tapes.

• Advertisement

Liberal views on sex /= paedophilia/incest supporter

Comments in the articles are attirbuted to him. He said them. It all balances on HLB finding hte tapes.

Well I feel he should of cleared his name at the time. I just dont see how HLB decided to imagine the interview. Remember this interview was picked up at the time by all the major papers. He denied it in a few articles, he should of went to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

It's painful to listen to because he is finished politically. His problem is that he resides in a parallel world where you can hold academic discussions on ancient greece and think it is perfectly normal and everyday. He just doesn't connect with the voters.

touts wrote: »
    It's painful to listen to because he is finished politically. His problem is that he resides in a parallel world where you can hold academic discussions on ancient greece and think it is perfectly normal and everyday. He just doesn't connect with the voters.

He drove me mad on a doc on RTE around 2-3 years ago. The amount of sh1t that came out of his mouth. Even if i heard a man/ woman talking about their former "lovers" i feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.

He thinks its still the early 1900's and James Joyce is a wanted man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

He just doesn't connect with the voters.

Since when? He has topped every presdential election poll to date including one on Livelive only last week.

It's painful to listen to because he is finished politically.

I'd have to agree.. All that is needed with any of these things is the whiff of ambiguity... Shocked that Liveline would carry this story when most of the article appears to story appeared to be most paraphrased and contextualised by the author herself..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I don't think he's finished at all. This article isn't breaking news for most of us. I would suggest that you read the article before making your mind up.

I get the impression that the people that think he's finished weren't likers of Norris anyway.

I also thought it was right and proper that he didn't appear on Liveline and waited until he could properly account for himself with a decent interviewer. I thought he performed very well today and explained why he isn't going to sue the journalist. Story over.

I don't think he's finished at all. This article isn't breaking news for most of us. I would suggest that you read the article before making your mind up.

I get the impression that the people that think he's finished weren't likers of Norris anyway.

I also thought it was right and proper that he didn't appear on Liveline and waited until he could properly account for himself with a decent interviewer. I thought he performed very well today and explained why he isn't going to sue the journalist. Story over.

Unless the tapes are found you are correct. She should of looked after to them more. I'd of made copies and had it in two different locations just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

He drove me mad on a doc on RTE around 2-3 years ago. The amount of sh1t that came out of his mouth. Even if i heard a man/ woman talking about their former "lovers" i feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.

He thinks its still the early 1900's and James Joyce is a wanted man.

yeah.

its not like you live in a country where a 14 yr old boy raped by a 16 yr old girl will be charged with statutory rape himself, go to jail, and be slapped on the sex offenders register for the rest of his life because in the eyes of the law he's the guilty party.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I thought Norris acquitted himself reasonably well this morning but I didn't like his remark about suing Helen Lucy Burke; something along the lines that he wouldn't like to take an elderly lady with limited means to court. It was patronising in the extreme.
    Norris knows himself that he wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he pursued this through the courts. It's not as if HLB told blatant lies in her article. If she had, then I reckon Norris would have sued Magill 9 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Get your father at once! Beautiful manners.

It would be worse if he said, get your beautiful father at once. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement