Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I thought Norris acquitted himself reasonably well this morning but I didn't like his remark about suing Helen Lucy Burke; something along the lines that he wouldn't like to take an elderly lady with limited means to court. It was patronising in the extreme.
    Norris knows himself that he wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he pursued this through the courts. It's not as if HLB told blatant lies in her article. If she had, then I reckon Norris would have sued Magill 9 years ago.

She did tell an untruth. She made intrepretations of what he said that weren't the case. Read the interview and listen to what she said yesterday.

As for the "elderly" lady comment, he got a bit personal there. I suppose it's allowed given what she has put him through.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

She did tell an untruth. She made intrepretations of what he said that weren't the case.

I'd love to see him trying to argue that in court. And I'd love to see him trying to rebut the substantive points of the interview between himself and HLB.

I'd love to see him trying to argue that in court. And I'd love to see him trying to rebut the substantive points of the interview between himself and HLB.

You don't need to hear it in a court, as much as you would love to. He has given several interviews on the topic, including one today with Pat Kenny.

You don't need to hear it in a court, as much as you would love to. He has given several interviews on the topic, including one today with Pat Kenny.

It would never end up in court because Norris would find himself having to answer some very interesting questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think it was a bit naive of Norris to think that this issue would not come up, or be dragged up by a competitor in a belligerent presidential campaign.. I thought he spoke well today, but the fact that he is not prepared to sue HLB to save his good name is very damaging to his credibility.. it's not enough to just say "I'm not suing her cos she's elderly"..

If she is young enough to destroy his character in the media, and sabotage his run at the presidency.. and most of all, if she is telling lies.. then she is fair game for whatever litigious action David Norris sees necessary to restore his good name..

• Advertisement

So now the issue has moved on to why Norris isn't suing the woman. This is crazy.

Edit: Taking legal action doesn't necessarily restore your reputation.

The journalist no longer has the tape of the conversation..she thought she found it, but she now says she hasn't got it and she might of lost it when the roof caved in.

Is this woman really credible?

So now the issue has moved on to why Norris isn't suing the woman. This is crazy.

Edit: Taking legal action doesn't necessarily restore your reputation.

It didn't do Oscar Wilde much good either.

It didn't do Oscar Wilde much good either.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. What are you mentioning Oscar Wilde for ?

I don't understand what you're trying to say. What are you mentioning Oscar Wilde for ?

You said "Taking legal action doesn't necessarily restore your reputation".

I was merely agreeing with you and used Oscar Wilde as an example of a legal case which didn't restore his reputation.

• Advertisement

You said "Taking legal action doesn't necessarily restore your reputation".

I was merely agreeing with you and used Oscar Wilde as an example of a legal case which didn't restore his reputation.

The fact that Wilde was gay or bisexual had nothing to do with your decision to pick that specific example....I would hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The journalist no longer has the tape of the conversation..she thought she found it, but she now says she hasn't got it and she might of lost it when the roof caved in.

Is this woman really credible?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

There was I thinking that there could be nothing more disintersting than professional footballer's private lives.

PK has proved me wrong, he's got someone on now talking about professional footballer's wives/gfs private lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I haven't tuned into PK for ages. Just did and I'm being subjected to the most awful middle of the road easy listening ****e music. What's going on?? Has the schedule been changed? I thought PK was on until Ronan Collins at midday. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

sudzs wrote: »
    I haven't tuned into PK for ages. Just did and I'm being subjected to the most awful middle of the road easy listening ****e music. What's going on?? Has the schedule been changed? I thought PK was on until Ronan Collins at midday. :confused:

Yea they change the schedule every Summer. They must think the easy listening tones of Ronan Collins and, later in the summer, a series of random documentaries will attact the Secondary school students on holidays for 3 months and to hell with their established listenership. It's bonkers. Their only saving grace is Newstalk have Tom Dunne in that slot. The fluffiest presenter on Irish Radio. When they eventually combine Today FM and Newstalk and Cooper takes the Right Hook slot they should move Hookie to the Tom Dunne Slot and send Dunne over to Today FM. Then Pat would come back from his summer holidays and find 90% of his audience gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

touts wrote: »
    Yea they change the schedule every Summer. They must think the easy listening tones of Ronan Collins and, later in the summer, a series of random documentaries will attact the Secondary school students on holidays for 3 months and to hell with their established listenership. It's bonkers. Their only saving grace is Newstalk have Tom Dunne in that slot. The fluffiest presenter on Irish Radio. When they eventually combine Today FM and Newstalk and Cooper takes the Right Hook slot they should move Hookie to the Tom Dunne Slot and send Dunne over to Today FM. Then Pat would come back from his summer holidays and find 90% of his audience gone.

You could have sommat there.... no opposition so they can do what they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

er Pat the ex finance minister and "popular" son of Ireland has just died...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

mike65 wrote: »
    er Pat the ex finance minister and "popular" son of Ireland has just died...

I think after the false alarm of a few weeks ago, i think Pat was waiting for the official statement at 11.

I thought Pat's mini biography at the end effectively blaming "the international credit crunch" for the position that Brian Lenihan found himself in was a bit much... Brian Lenihan seemed like a nice guy, but i) Fianna Fáil caused our economic situation by bad policy, and Brian Lenihan was right at the heart of Cabinet and ii) Brian himself made a VERY bad decision on September 29th 2008, that we will all be paying for, probably for the rest of our lives.. Come on Pat, stop rewriting history..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I thought Pat's mini biography at the end effectively blaming "the international credit crunch" for the position that Brian Lenihan found himself in was a bit much... Brian Lenihan seemed like a nice guy, but i) Fianna Fáil caused our economic situation by bad policy, and Brian Lenihan was right at the heart of Cabinet and ii) Brian himself made a VERY bad decision on September 29th 2008, that we will all be paying for, probably for the rest of our lives.. Come on Pat, stop rewriting history..
    I was only half listening at that time, are you honestly saying that Pat made no reference to FF role in our economic disaster?? I accept that today is not really the time for such debate,but neither should a false obituary be created. Poor form there Pat.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm pretty sure... maybe somebody else can confirm it..

News at 1 starting at 12 30,
    lets hope there is some balanced debate regarding his legacy. Despite his genuine intentions he clearly got too many important decisions wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I was listening too, and that struck me. Now I know that the man only died this morning, but if we are going to ignore the facts, then perhaps it would have been better not to mention the recession at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Pat is promoting his hometown this morning:rolleyes:

be prepared for plenty of pompous middle-class types

fryup wrote: »
    Pat is promoting his hometown this morning:rolleyes:

be prepared for plenty of pompous middle-class types

I suppose it would be too much to hope he will interview local land owners complaining about squatters taking their land......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Heard John Waters and Olivia O'Leary earlier and switched off. Pompous,pretentious and actually lightweight;despite what they think of themselves.
    Pat's home area would be more Arbour Hill area. But he's a multi-millionaire now,so he can live in Dalkey.

Heard John Waters and Olivia O'Leary earlier and switched off. Pompous,pretentious and actually lightweight;despite what they think of themselves.
    pat's home area would be more Arbour Hill area. But he's a multi-millionaire now,so he can live in Dalkey.

Did you hear Waters defending the money spent sending Jedward to Eurovision. Of course he would defend it. He threw a major sulk in every media outlet that would listen until RTE finally sent one of his awful scribblings to Eurovision. Unsurprisingly Europe sent him home again with his tail between his legs. Now that was a true waste of money.

Tommy Tiernan was on the review of the week slot. He pretty much died on his arse, should be on pod cast later.

Turned in to pat at 10.30 and heard "There was a study in Stanford University".... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The panel after 11.00 was interesting, and just starting to get good.. and they go back to fkn studio at 11.30 to listen to Ronan Collins' iPod ... I mean what is the point in this, when they have a live panel of guests..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan was on the review of the week slot. He pretty much died on his arse, should be on pod cast later.

I actually thought he saved the show from its pomposity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement