Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

It was deadly to hear Doran getting stuffed. the man is an absolute pain in the arse , im just surprised it happened on Myles Dungans watch . Mr Leftie Dungan normally manages to make sure that no nasty right wingers or those with a 'free market ' view are able to get on air when he is holding court .

When did this happen.

please tell me and if possible link me?

If Doran was stuffed could need a change of kex:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Doran :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »
    Doran :confused:

Liam-Doran-of-the-IMNO.jpg

Liam Doran, spokesman for the nurses union.. The only union head that doesnt have a beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

Liam-Doran-of-the-IMNO.jpg

Liam Doran, spokesman for the nurses union.. The only union head that doesnt have a beard.

but has the grey hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Lady Gregory's poetry. Good to see Duggan keeping up with current affairs.

Poly wrote: »
    Lady Gregory's poetry. Good to see Duggan keeping up with current affairs.

lol.... yeah it's a right snoozefest today, that is for sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

It was deadly to hear Doran getting stuffed. the man is an absolute pain in the arse , im just surprised it happened on Myles Dungans watch . Mr Leftie Dungan normally manages to make sure that no nasty right wingers or those with a 'free market ' view are able to get on air when he is holding court .

+1 , dungan has always come across as a quintesential smoked salmon socilist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh God Myles Dungan is in his element of artsy nonsense.

Yeah wasnt great... I dont think the audience really gives a fk whether he's a playing a guitar / mandolin /bazouki... The panel is coming up shortly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Don't worry, there'll be a reference to Arsenal FC, just to demonstrate that Myles is 'one of the lads' aswell......yeah sure you are Myles.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Yesterday Irish Bond rates hit a record level and the EU were meeting to discuss ways to take voting rights off small nations like Ireland. But Myles couldnt fit it into RTE's flagship current affairs show with the pressing need to discuss survivalist gardening, nappie prices and CSI.

Sean O' Rouke would be a much better stand-in for PK. Myles has me reaching for the dial within 5 mins

Could Mary Louise O'Donnell not go to create writing classes or drama classes if she needs to get this out of her system?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

WTF was that all about ?

seriously what was the public service in that peice about some evangelist ?

there was something borderline offensive about the way it was done too, almost mocking - particularly with your wan doing all the accents.

i think pats losing the plot. this was almost something i'd expect from turbidy at his most politically unaware (remember the "have you ever met working class people " routine )

:)

Why doesnt Pat give a bit of his field to build a school on..

• Advertisement

Whoo-hooo, Ditch watch!!

What will we find today? bottles, cans and other sh1te

for gods sake he's back on the bloody rubbish again !

oh if ONLY there was something serious going on in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given how dirty the Irish are I think the ongoing campiagn is reasonable.

Is Pat avoiding the bye-election issue today?

Poly wrote: »
    Is Pat avoiding the bye-election issue today?

Dont know Poly.... but knowing Pat, I wouldnt be surprised if a band who looked similar to this was in studio to give us two chicken-pickin' songs before the end of the program....

Hayseed_Dixie__wideweb__430x213.jpg

• Advertisement

ah now here. whats a court case leading to a by election and supreme court challenge got to do with the national interest when theres nappies in bushes to be tackled !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ah now here. whats a court case leading to a by election and supreme court challenge got to do with the national interest when theres nappies in bushes to be tackled !

you mustn't have been listening yesterday no? The day the judgement was actually handed down?

tbh wrote: »
    you mustn't have been listening yesterday no? The day the judgement was actually handed down?

Yeah, but it's still a developing story:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1104/donegal.html

Rte's flagship current affairs show should really be all over this

yup.

yesterday it was happening live, today shouldve been the time to have some guest on talking about the ramifications of it.

if VB can do it that night , kenny can cobble something together a full 24 hours later.

i mean listen to the crap he's going on about now.

is anyone interested in what that old biddy is going on about?

think of the comedy gold were missing if he'dve got eoin harris on !

FFS, Government actively conspiring in denying people democracy and PK gives us spuds
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yup.

yesterday it was happening live, today shouldve been the time to have some guest on talking about the ramifications of it.

if VB can do it that night , kenny can cobble something together a full 24 hours later.

i mean listen to the crap he's going on about now.

is anyone interested in what that old biddy is going on about?

think of the comedy gold were missing if he'dve got eoin harris on !

In fairness, there's nothing really new that can be brought to it - it's been discussed to death on all the shows yesterday. Granted, I didn't know about fine gael getting involved, but all the analysis has been done.

having said that, no, I'm not interested in the spuds thing either, and yes, I would prefer by-election analysis to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Here we go, a token 5 mins.

gas isnt it.

didnt know the house was suspended twice today.

by the by, if anyones interested our 10yr bonds near hit 8% today during pats show.

apparently thats not news either.

by the by, if anyones interested our 10yr bonds near hit 8% today during pats show.

8% . Game over, please insert €70 billion to continue

• Advertisement

At 12. Newstalk went to Donegal first, now the bond rate story within 20mins.

PK show was a failure today. Has Pat been muzzled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

`Yea I'd say RTE were told to ignore it. BUt saying that, Pat kenny show has gotten very 'lightweight' I must say

i must admit.

the potatoes section was a bit mad.

i mean WTF was that all about considering the day thats in it ?

fillers ok for the silly season but theres genuine news breaking and developing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Kenny's show is rapidly going downhill. The second hour was always a bore but now it seems its creeping into the first hour too. And there's no other station to turn to mid morning current affairs wise.

telekon wrote: »
    The second hour was always a bore but now it seems its creeping into the first hour too.

yeah I noticed this too... it's fast becoming the case that only the first half hour of the program is topical or interesting... The rest of the show is
    - something US-related or
    - somebody talking about a book
    - some hayseed band
    - the lovely Ella talking agriculture
    - Mary Louise O'Donnell's Drama Society..
    - Valerie Cox's rubbish hunt..
    - Tina Leonard reading from "The Dummies Guide To Consumer Affairs"

boring, boring, boring... cmon Pat you're turning into Tubridy ffs..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If ever a programme has succumbed to the culture of "dumbing down" in recent months it's Today with Pat Kenny.

According to the programme's own website "....Pat Kenny assesses the main news stories of the day and goes behind the headlines to bring you the very latest."

On most days now, this only holds true for the first half an hour. After that the programme can degenerate into a kind of magazine type radio show which tries to be all things to few people. A bit like RTE television's Afternoon Show on the wireless.

Today's programme was a perfect example. Excellent opening report into the failure of the Department of Education to deliver on their budget, followed by some mediocre stuff, followed by a load of rubbish.

Pat Kenny has often questioned TDs in relation to the number of (or lack of) sitting days in Dáil Éireann. Yet when something of interest was actually taking place there while he was on air, the PK show was down in Leitrim or somewhere talking about spuds.

Maybe thats what they mean by "going behind the headlines".
    Along way behind them. And hardly an assessment of "the main news stories of the day" that listners expect from a flagship current affairs programme.

Perhaps the trend towards a lifestyle type show with less emphasis on real news is out of Pat Kenny's hands. I could say that he deserves better as one of the best broadcasters on radio. In fact he does, and more importantly, so does the listener. But the unfortunate thing is that the presenter seems comfortable and totally at ease with the dumbing down of his own programme.

very good item at the moment on the permanent government.

but then again its the first half hour like you guys pointed out.

proof of the pudding will be to see where he goes after this.

still, riviting stuff about what goes on behind the scenes in gov depts.

proof of the pudding will be to see where he goes after this.
    It's friday, he will cut the weekly review short to bring on the yer wan, the perky little chef, to tell us how to correctly serve fresh lobster vol-u-vents dressed with a drizzling of 1954 port combined with a reduction of quails testicles.

Yeah, I dont get the whole cooking thing either.. They bring in four (usually high enough profile) guests.. and then cut them short lest she might burn the spuds... You think they would give them at least 45 minutes.. it's probably the best part of the show in the whole week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Nice book-ending on today’s programme:

John "I'm not really FF" McGuinness at the start, and
    Des "I'm not really FF" Peelo at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That Cox one and her scavenger hunt across the nation is laughable. Calling to people's doors with bills...leave it up teh environmental officers...it's bad enough we're paying one person to do it let alone a reporter and a sound recordist as well. Nothing ever seems to come of it either.

The cooking slot is so out of place (and who honestly doesn't know what a slow cooker is???)...it's a curent affairs radio show...leave the cookery demos for the mid afternoon Mooney shows or the TV equivalents, especially as JonathanAnon says during the most decent 30 minutes of the friday show when they have a panel who get interrupted for canapés or some other crap with 10 minutes left.
    Why is this cookery woman even on the payroll? (and that's not because she's not Irish btw)

The piece on NI shopping was interesting (but nothign there that any savvy shopper didn't already know really)....until we got the shill texts in after the 11 news calling for the heads of any NI shoppers to roll and for their pensions/dole/wages to be cut, disgrace, economic treason etc.

What a crockpot of a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Jesus who cares about some orphan that was adopted and then found his real parents???????????????? About 25 mins of it and now onto another 10 minutes of the most drawn out boring sports news.

sealgaire wrote: »
    Jesus who cares about some orphan that was adopted and then found his real parents????????????????

Was thinking exactly the same thing.. We got a half hour of interesting, topical stuff... Pat took a break, spoke to Shane Coleman for about two minutes, then took another break... and I was thinking, is this where he heads off on some uninteresting tangent?? Then straight into that boring adoption story.. The format has definitely been changed to have less political stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Agree with earlier posters that the show is not what it used to be. The contributors really are a detriment to the show - especially Valerie Cox, and that unbearable Marie Louise lady.

Being in his early sixties, it wouldn't surprise me if Kenny has already planned his retirement date from the show.

pat decides to have a chat with pensioners today to see how theyre hacking the life retired.

a prison officer and a gardai.

yeah , thats NORMAL pat. whats the matter couldnt find any retired tesco shop workers on the golf course ?

a texter even called him on why he was only talking to PS workers but got dismissed out of hand.

jesus the vast majority of people would kill to be on those pensions and he's making out like theyre just subsisting. hell most workers would kill to be earning it as a wage.

shoddy shoddy work.

• Advertisement

^ Yeah that's a good point... The local guard in my home town area, retired recently from the "force"... The man is not more than 50 and look mid 40s.. He was straight into a job in Customs And Excise, for which he is now paid along with his pension.. ...

One of the things about pensions that really pisses me off is the way that ex public servants can serve the minimum amount of years for their particular sector (which can be as low as 21 years), then receive a pension while also setting up their own business or doing another job... This allows them to run their business with a subsidy from the state... and every private business has to then try to compete with them???? Surely this is completely anti-competitive...

ex-Public servants should be given a choice... a) take the pension and dont work or b) work in another job, and receive NO pension until they retire from work completely..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

The contributors really are a detriment to the show - especially Valerie Cox, and that unbearable Marie Louise lady.

The Marie-Louise O'Donnell one is horrendous. It's like listening to Avril "the famine was a shared experience between the British and Irish peoples" Doyle. Like Doyle, she's a stereotype of the nasal horsey D4 Fine Gael type. She's superficial, shallow, vacuous and inane. She dumbs down RTÉ Radio 1 in a way which I could never have envisaged. She should be on whatever is The Sun of Irish radio: RTÉ should not be it.

Kenny is superb - organised, well researched and really on-the-ball on current affairs. However, he demeans his entire show by having such a wannabe D4 snob trying to be something she isn't: a woman of the people. This is the same Marie-Louise O'Donnell who was on The Midnight Hour some years back ranting against the Irish language and stating that the money given to Irish should be given to ... opera! I really enjoy opera, but that woman, at that moment, was everything which people who want to promote classical and opera in Ireland do not need.

It's time for the producers of Today with Pat Kenny to raise the intellectual and educational level of the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Dirigent wrote: »
    Nice book-ending on today’s programme:

John "I'm not really FF" McGuinness at the start, and
    Des "I'm not really FF" Peelo at the end.

I can't abide McGuinness - he wants the best of both worlds. Hopefully, the people in his constituency will see as much in the next election and evict him. I doubt it, though.

“So Valerie, you found a bag of sh1t. But the question is, where are all my listeners gone?”

(sunglasses on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Bonds heading for 9%

FF still LYING to us...

Below......Latest Image of Pat via Studiocam

english-bulldog-dog-muzzle-leather-dog-muzzle-british-bulldog_LRG.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement