Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

fryup wrote: »
    I actually thought he saved the show from its pomposity
    Tommy should stick to what he thinks is comedy, ie. Attacking people in wheel chairs and the mentally handicapped. He brought nothing to the discussion, suggesting Santa Claus for President does not make good current affairs radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The panel after 11.00 was interesting, and just starting to get good.. and they go back to fkn studio at 11.30 to listen to Ronan Collins' iPod ... I mean what is the point in this, when they have a live panel of guests..

I was thinking the same thing myself.
    Yesterdays programme was one of the better ones.
    (Disregarding Tommy Tiernan and the misplaced Alzheimers topic).

PK seems to relax more when outside the confines of the Radio Centre in Montrose. The outside broadcast programmes from Kilkenny and Dundalk in recent months appeared less stuffy and formal than usual, despite tackling weighty issues in the presence of a distinguished panel of guests in both of them.

All the more baffling then that the plug was pulled yesterday just as it was in full swing. Especially as it was coming from PK's own doorstep.

Surely RTÉ must know that they are losing listeners as soon as Ronan Collins sig tune is heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

touts wrote: »
    Did you hear Waters defending the money spent sending Jedward to Eurovision. Of course he would defend it. He threw a major sulk in every media outlet that would listen until RTE finally sent one of his awful scribblings to Eurovision. Unsurprisingly Europe sent him home again with his tail between his legs. Now that was a true waste of money.

How old are you touts?

No need to answer that, but don't fcuking wonder about 'vested interests'.

Little tip for you,and not trying to condescend,always listen to where the commentator is coming from.Then evaluate the comment.You will almost always get a vested interest response.

Listen carefully my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I wonder if Pat Kenny's half-hour early finish during the summer is reflected in his salary? Probably not.

I thought it funny the other night when somebody suggested on The Frontline that Pat Kenny would make a great President. Would Pat really consider moving to a smaller house and taking a huge pay cut? Not bloody likely! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus anyone listening to O'Dowd? Very easy ride and he loves Ireland so much he'll come back to rule! For free (nearly)

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Jasus anyone listening to O'Dowd? Very easy ride and he loves Ireland so much he'll come back to rule! For <br />
    free (nearly)
    I would not worry too much about O'Dowd if I was you, the chances of him, dragon den guy or Mary Davis(does not have a clue what the presidential powers are)appearing on the ballot paper come polling day are slim to none in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I would not worry too much about O'Dowd if I was you, the chances of him, dragon den guy or Mary Davis(does not have a clue what the presidential powers are)appearing on the ballot paper come polling day are slim to none in my opinion.

Wouldn't be so sure about O'Dowd not getting a nomination,good few FF and Sinn Fein TDs are looking for someone to back. Loved the bit where he basically said he'll spend a fortnight trying to get nominated and then head back to the States if he gets nowhere. I really would wonder how much he wants it.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so sure about O'Dowd not getting a nomination,good few FF and Sinn Fein TDs are looking for someone to back. Loved the bit where he basically said he'll spend a fortnight trying to get nominated and then head back to the States if he gets nowhere. I really would wonder how much he wants it.
    I can think of 300000 reasons why he wants it. But seriously, my feeling is that FF might abstain from this one and concentrate on Dublin West by election which will probably be held the same day, at least it should be but you can never be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I agree that they'll probably abstain, for financial reasons as much as anything else. But they could let their TDs & Senators nominate him without actually spending a cent in campaigning for him - ie; he'd still be running as an independent.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I agree that they'll probably abstain, for financial reasons as much as anything else. But they could let their TDs & Senators nominate him without actually spending a cent in campaigning for him - ie; he'd still be running as an independent.
    Thats not really in their mature, that party are a seriously clannish bunch.

• Advertisement

Myles is back. It must be summertime.

Remember the year Tom McGurk stood in for Pat ?
    He was a joy to listen to.

Myles is ok. But gets bogged down in the arts too easily.
    Nothing wrong with the arts either.
    But the phrase, A time and a place springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Lapin wrote: »
    Myles is back. It must be summertime.

Remember the year Tom McGurk stood in for Pat ?
    He was a joy to listen to.

Myles is ok. But gets bogged down in the arts too easily.
    Nothing wrong with the arts either.
    But the phrase, A time and a place springs to mind.

Athens is burning and the European Union could be fatally wounded by the end of the day but Myles is only interested in talking about jewish bread and now is onto some yank and her new novel.

As least he isn't pre-recording slots for his "live" history show yet.

touts wrote: »
    Athens is burning and the European Union could be fatally wounded by the end of the day but Myles is only interested in talking about jewish bread and now is onto some yank and her new novel.

Yep, she's been blathering away in the background for the last half an hour although I completly tuned out myself. A couple of times I asked myself, what the hell is she on about?. Then I just went back to work without answering my own question.
    The Jewish bread bit passed me by altogether.

Awful boring stuff this morning. If it carries on like this it will take the Ronan Collins sig tine to wake me up and knock me into Newstalk mode.

Switched off the moment I realised Dungheap was boring for Ireland again.

I take it Kenny will be back tomorrow, fecking off on holidays midweek would be odd even by RTE standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Switched off the moment I realised Dungheap was boring for Ireland again.

I take it Kenny will be back tomorrow, fecking off on holidays midweek would be odd even by RTE standards.

Nope, Myles said he is on for Pat "for the next couple of days".

:( Right it'll be Tom Dunne at the Tall Ships race then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Myles followed by Ronan Collins is hardly what you would call "The Dream Team"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Myles followed by Ronan Collins is hardly what you would call "The Dream Team"

Myles/Collins/O'Reilly is "The Dream Team":D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Was listening to local radio this morning and switched over to Today. Heard them talking about a bakery in Dublin, thought "what's this?", and switched back again.

Surely to God there are enough national issues to be talking about rather than giving a plug to a Dublin bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Used to hate Pat's theme tune because it reminded me of primary school :P, but i've gotten to like the show over the last few years. The only show on rte1 i would listen to till evening (Collins/Duffy/Mooney are too much to bear)

• Advertisement

"we've only scratched the surface of it but there we have to leave it unfortunately, that's all we have time for, Ronan Collins follows"

"we've only scratched the surface of it but there we have to leave it unfortunately, that's all we have time for, Ronan Collins follows"

Yeah, I thought the same Mike.. pretty much the only interesting topic they had on all week and once again cut short to quickly go to Collins' Ipod Nano.. The place is run for the staff, not for the listeners..

Total joke of a station in the "off season", that said the producer could have scheduled
    the running order so the least valuable item was on last or could be dropped. I can't recall what else was covered apart from a bit on the (mis) use of English language.

Do you know why I don't like when Myles Dungan is on?

Pat and Myles are both smart blokes. The difference being, Pat doesn't tend down to people, and save us from Myle's little jokey pseudo-intellectual comments and his "knowing", smug laugh.

and save us from Myle's little jokey pseudo-intellectual comments and his "knowing", smug laugh.

Yeah he's like Tubridy in that way.. He makes "clever" little references/puns/allusions/jokes that have more to do with self indulgence than actually being for the good of the show..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Yeah he's like Tubridy in that way.. He makes "clever" little references/puns/allusions/jokes that have more to do with self indulgence than actually being for the good of the show..

On the toff he had on discussing language, on two or three occasions they both had a good laugh at the misuse of disinterested and uninterested without actually explaining the difference.

Myles being a smug know it all (now with added degree) didn't ask any interesting questions and risk appearing stupid. Really became quite boring after 3 mins.

Anyone remember when Prof. Terry Dolan used to do a similar weekly piece on Moncrieff ? He was fascinating, one of my favourite segments of that show.

Poly wrote: »
    both had a good laugh at the misuse of disinterested and uninterested without actually explaining the difference.

I was disinterested in their uninteresting piece.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

Des Cahill came on at 11 o' clock doing the sport and he said ''I seen a photograph of t-shirts''

I was hoping Myles would pull him on it, unfortunately he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

With Tubridy it's self indulgence. With Dungan it's self dillusion.

• Advertisement

Poly wrote: »
    On the toff he had on discussing language, on two or three occasions they both had a good laugh at the misuse of disinterested and uninterested without actually explaining the difference.

Myles being a smug know it all (now with added degree) didn't ask any interesting questions and risk appearing stupid. Really became quite boring after 3 mins.

Anyone remember when Prof. Terry Dolan used to do a similar weekly piece on Moncrieff ? He was fascinating, one of my favourite segments of that show.

Poor Terry Dolan had a stroke I believe and that's why he stopped doing the Moncrief slot. It was one of the highlights of that show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement