Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Poor Terry Dolan had a stroke I believe and that's why he stopped doing the Moncrief slot. It was one of the highlights of that show.

He was interviewed by Marion Finucane last February, would have been about 3 years after the stroke...

http://www.sccenglish.ie/2011/02/professor-terry-dolan-with-marion.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Rubik. wrote: »
    He was interviewed by Marion Finucane last February, would have been about 3 years after the stroke...

http://www.sccenglish.ie/2011/02/professor-terry-dolan-with-marion.html

Moncrief also had him on at one point and if I recall correctly he even discussed some of the language of strokes. It was mentioned that they hoped to have him back on a regular basis but it looks like that never happened. His slot was one of the best things on Irish radio and I hope he is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Poor Terry Dolan had a stroke I believe and that's why he stopped doing the Moncrief slot. It was one of the highlights of that show.
    I'm a neighbour of his and a nicer person you could not meet. Most deffo not a toff!
    And yeah he was a highlight of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    I'm a neighbour of his and a nicer person you could not meet. Most deffo not a toff!
    And yeah he was a highlight of the show.

Yeah it was a joy to listen to that slot, I learned something new every time and he seemed (seems) like a really affable guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Newstalk should bring his slot back, even as a pre-recorded piece, that's if he is up to it of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Live panel in studio this morning.. and again at 11.29am just as it was starting to get really interesting, Pat says "I have to rush you here"... Absolutely ridiculous.. Can nobody in RTE see this ffs..

Terry Prone on again as an "independent expert" talking about Fine Gael selecting Gay Mitchell. No mention that she works for Fine Gael......

touts wrote: »
    Terry Prone on again as an "independent expert" talking about Fine Gael selecting Gay Mitchell. No mention that she works for Fine Gael......

"The FF brand is toxic" she says, obviously no FF contracts for her anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

touts wrote: »

How very selective of you?

She clearly stated what work she has done for FG and clearly stated she was a freelance and is available to work for FG should they wish to employ her.

She was/is hiding nothing. There was absolutly nothing partisan about anything she said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Poly wrote: »

She was right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And what the fook is wrong with that statement?

Toxic as 3 Mile island.

Facts is facts;)

And what the fook is wrong with that statement?

Toxic as 3 Mile island.

Facts is facts;)

Nothing wrong with it, I was trying to (poorly)point out that she would never have said something like that if she was still engaged by FF or expects to be again.

PR spin and bullsh1t was key factor in their demise.

Nothing wrong with it, I was trying to (poorly)point out that she would never have said something like that if she was still engaged by FF or expects to be again.

PR spin and bullsh1t was key factor in their demise.

Indeed,all of which re-enforces the point I am always batthering on about, always look for the vested interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh dear jesus is anyone listening to this coverage of the 12th up north ?

FFS.

The entire ARSE has fallen out of the EU with stockmarkets crashing around the continent with the prospect of default finally being accepted by polticians.

and these guys are talking to locked northerners on the piss having bonfires.

"no surrrendddeerrrr !"

wish i ****ing could when it comes to my TV license, cant belive im paying for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

FFS.

The entire ARSE has fallen out of the EU with stockmarkets crashing around the continent with the prospect of default finally being accepted by polticians.

"no surrrendddeerrrr !"

wish i ****ing could when it comes to my TV license, cant belive im paying for this.

I'm not usually a fan of those reports by Paddy O'Gorman and his dog.

They usually consist of the same old interviewees - single mothers - dole recipients - travellers - junkies & jailbirds.
    People the middle classes refer to as - The marginalised.

But I really enjoyed this mornings piece.
    Those girls in Omagh sounded like a breath of fresh air compared to the usual self pitying downtrodden folk he meets every other week.

"Won't ya have a wee can of beer Paddy".
    "Eh, no thanks - I have to drive back to Dublin".

They all seemed to be in great form and good luck to them.
    Beers & Bonfires up north and willing girls to spend the night with.

Feck driving back to Dublin - Paddy missed out there.

Maybe 'No Surrender' was his motto too! I wonder how his dog got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

FFS.

"no surrrendddeerrrr !"

It reminds me of a sketch I saw on TV a few years back about an Orangeman politician who was on a fact finding junket to the Middle East. It was July 12th and he was complaining about the insularity of the Israelis and Palestinians because there was no mention whatsoever in their media about the Twelfth :D

Lapin wrote: »
    I'm not usually a fan of those reports by Paddy O'Gorman and his dog.

They usually consist of the same old interviewees - single mothers - dole recipients - travellers - junkies & jailbirds.
    People the middle classes refer to as - The margianalised.

But I really enjoyed this mornings piece.
    Those girls in Omagh sounded like a breath of fresh air compared to the usual self pitying downtrodden folk he meets every other week.

"Won't ya have a wee can of beer Paddy".
    "Eh, no thanks - I have to drive back to Dublin".

They all seemed to be in great form and good luck to them.
    Beers & Bonfires up north and willing girls to spend the night with.

Feck driving back to Dublin - Paddy missed out there.

Maybe 'No Surrender' was his motto too! I wonder how his dog got on.

Marginalised surely.

Wasters:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

They were interviewing a woman about Moldovan sex slaves who are taken against and held against their will, to provide illegal sex services in other countries.... It was coming towards 11am for the news and Myles says "We're going to keep you here, and hold you over the news".. She's probably speed dialing the guards as we're listening to the headlines.. :)

Good to see Pat back.
    The difference in the quality of the programme is palpable when he is on. (For the first 40 minutes at any rate).

Although I see Paddy O'Gorman and his dog are back talking to the whingers and Druid cider connisseurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lapin wrote: »
    Good to see Pat back.
    The difference in the quality of the programme is palpable when he is on. (For the first 40 minutes at any rate).

Although I see Paddy O'Gorman and his dog are back talking to the whingers and Druid cider connisseurs.

His dog seems to have a nose for the tramps:D

• Advertisement

His dog seems to have a nose for the tramps:D

I reckon its the other way around.

The poor dog wants to get the hell home, but Paddy keeps sniffing out these bushmen. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I felt Paddy O'Gorman's piece about homelessness in Dublin was very biased. Some of the comments he made about foreign homeless people were really ****ty and I can't imagine him saying the same things about Irish homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Getting very tired of these Catholic Far Right headbangers like Quinn:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pat Kenny being very good about keeping Quinn "honest". That said DQ is essentially part of the problem in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

"Have you anything nasty for me to smell?".

Jesus Pat !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

FFS.

"no surrrendddeerrrr !"

So they should only ever talk about the financial crisis? Just tune into Bloomberg if you're that partial to it...
    mike65 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny being very good about keeping Quinn "honest". That said DQ is essentially part of the problem in this country.

In fairness, Quinn has as much right to be heard in public as anyone else. I like listening to him, and reading his articles, because it invariably makes me think about why it is I oppose so many of his positions.

Just finished a 20 minute party political broadcast for David Norris. No tough questions and certainly no answers to even the most basic of question. The elephant in the room (Norris's comments on underage sex and incest) was totally ignored. You could tell the callers were getting frustrated that Pat did nothing to make the Norris answer any questions. The sad thing is I don't imagine he will do any better with Mary Davis or Michael D as they are both darlings of Montrose. In contrast Gay Mitchell will get reamed if Pat has to store up all his frustrations and unleash them on him. If we get presidential debates I hope Miriam and not Pat gets the gig and they don't feed her for a week before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I switched off, I figured it would be quite pointless. As is the job they are all grasping for.

[off topic]Seeing them having to make their case in front of a bunch of yeharr councillors and no mark TDs just to get the chance to run is quite embarrassing/demeaning.[/off topic]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

God, Dungan is a complete bore, no matter what the topic may be...

Can someone explain to me the point of getting studio guests (who are presumably paid an appearance fee) on for the closing 15 minutes of a show and having to rush through a week's worth of topics? Padded out arts nonsense in the first hour then tearing through what might be an interesting segment, with some possibly opposing views.
    I also can't understand the summer curtailment of the show to make way for Collins's anniversary request show...

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    God, Dungan is a complete bore, no matter what the topic may be...

Can someone explain to me the point of getting studio guests (who are presumably paid an appearance fee) on for the closing 15 minutes of a show and having to rush through a week's worth of topics? Padded out arts nonsense in the first hour then tearing through what might be an interesting segment, with some possibly opposing views.
    I also can't understand the summer curtailment of the show to make way for Collins's anniversary request show...

It's a long running policy of RTE management since Gaybo had the slot. Replace it with Arts and Music and they will win a greater share of the young people's market who are on holiday from School. They believe a younger presenter like Collins will appeal more to the teenage market in his choice of popular music by the likes of the Beatles, Joe Dolan and those young american fellows the Beachboys.

It also has the benefit of allowing Myles to pre-record slots for his "live" history show and that way they can save production costs and double up on the income from texts when people text the "live" show on a Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement