Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

touts wrote: »
    a younger presenter like Collins

*splutter* :D
    touts wrote: »
    It also has the benefit of allowing Myles to pre-record slots for his "live" history show and that way they can save production costs and double up on the income from texts when people text the "live" show on a Sunday.

No doubt about that. Scandalous carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wertz wrote: »
    God, Dungan is a complete bore, no matter what the topic may be...

Can someone explain to me the point of getting studio guests (who are presumably paid an appearance fee) on for the closing 15 minutes of a show and having to rush through a week's worth of topics? Padded out arts nonsense in the first hour then tearing through what might be an interesting segment, with some possibly opposing views.
    I also can't understand the summer curtailment of the show to make way for Collins's anniversary request show...
    Tune into Mary Wilson just after 5 every Friday. She has the exact same discussion with the same interchangable guests.

Which begs the question "Why bother doing it half arsed in the morning?"
    I'm more of a Last Word listener until they go sports crazy at 6 on fridays. Wilson isn't a good host.

This isn't just a summer problem either or Dungan specific: when Pat runs the show till 12 during normal service they do the same crap of having a panel on at 11.30 and cutting them short for a cookery slot/food tasting. I just don't get the point of padding out certain parts of the show then shoeboxing the potentially more interesting bits. Maybe that's just me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh boy this is a discussion that needs Kenny. Dungan is not able to sound like he knows what's going on never mind actually knowing what's going on.

Oh hell, if Dunheap wasn't quite anodyne enough here comes Miriam of the Seven Five Veils, covering for Kenny.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/miriam-to-keep-patrsquos-seat-warm-while-he-boils-on-beach-2842351.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I'd much rather have Miriam O'Callaghan than Myles Dungan.

It'll be interesting to see how she gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Skid wrote: »
    I'd much rather have Miriam O'Callaghan than Myles Dungan.

It'll be interesting to see how she gets on.

Ah but dam it how many more programmes are they going to shove her on ... is there no one else left alive in Montrose

Callan57 wrote: »
    Ah but dam it how many more programmes are they going to shove her on ... is there no one else left alive in Montrose
    Dobson looks to be back for another stint on Morning Ireland, thought he did ok .
    As for Miriam I fear her stint on the Kenny show will not go well.

I'm praying it won't. If she is considered a success and Kenny gets the chop I'll just have to stop listening to RTE full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Kenny is 63. I'm afraid we're getting a glimpse of future and I can't say I'm liking it very much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'll be like genuinely delighted to hear Miriam on the PK show. Genuinely.

Seriously though, I'd say she'll do quite well on it if she can tone down her 'genuine's and other verbal props.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

dambarude wrote: »
    I'll be like genuinely delighted to hear Miriam on the PK show. Genuinely.

Seriously though, I'd say she'll do quite well on it if she can tone down her 'genuine's and other verbal props.

Why not give the temporary host role to a lesser known name, and preferably one who hasn't been shoved down our throats enough?

I don't see what a very well paid, very well established presenter like MOC is, has to gain/lose from doing this stint.

It really is a select old boys/girls club out there in Montrose.

Maybe because she's knocking about Montrose with nothing to do?! I'm sure it doesn't take a full week to prepare for Saturday Night with Miriam;).

They probably want what they deem a 'safe' pair of hands for the PK show. I read in the Indo today that he thinks poor decisions have been made in the past regarding stand ins, which lost listeners, and that for that reason he thinks it's great she's presenting.

Maybe because she's knocking about Montrose with nothing to do?! I'm sure it doesn't take a full week to prepare for Saturday Night with Miriam;).

They probably want what they deem a 'safe' pair of hands for the PK show. I read in the Indo today that he thinks poor decisions have been made in the past regarding stand ins, which lost listeners, and that for that reason he thinks it's great she's presenting.

It would help if the regular presenter stopped taking ridiculously long summer breaks.

His break's much shorter this year though, isn't it?

His break's much shorter this year though, isn't it?

He's been off for at least three full weeks this year - at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Well if he was a year older, and working in FAS, he would be getting 70 days holidays to ease him into retirement!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

He's been off for at least three full weeks this year - at least.

That's 15 days annual leave.

Far less than most jobs. Compared to Marion Finnucane, Pat's working in an Indonesian sweatshop.

Maybe its because her partner is Steve Carson one of the suits in RTE!

Oh noes arty types passing judgement on the riots.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh noes arty types passing judgement on the riots.

Myles seems to have found a sense of humour too...nice deflection on the Meeriam stand-in.
    K. Myers bashing is fashionable again as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Just woke up to that Mongolian folk singing... For a minute, I thought it was the rapture and I'd been sent to hell. It's not what I need on my day off...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

seriously WTF are the production team smoking this morning ?

has ming been in the building or something cause this is one fecking bizarre show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Just woke up to that Mongolian folk singing... For a minute, I thought it was the rapture and I'd been sent to hell. It's not what I need on my day off...

I thought my radio had gone all out of tune when that rubbish was on. I found myself tweaking the dial trying to retune it. Suffering Jaysus, I pity the poor arty farty types that'll be going along to listen to it tonight.

Myles Dungheap must've been positively orgasmic this morning with the likes of Colm Toibin, Tobias Wolff and PAUL............ MUL.....DOON around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Pat Kenny would want to get back while he still has a show.. Waaaaay too much Myles this Summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

PAAAAATTTTTTTT. Come back. What is going on on RTE.

yeah didn't catch the first 30 min but since 10.30, I've almost been bored back to sleep. Was it about one book? Several? History? Culture? All I know is that it doesn't make good morning radio...don't know how Myles will follow that in the next half hour...

[edit] regional radio...drunken sing song with salt of the earth type Dubs at a goat fair. Could Miriam actually do any worse than this lad?
    ...and now here comes queen of the obvious.

*click*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

just tuned in for a sec there, sounded like a bad pub sing song going on, back to Nova for me.

I just gave up. Pat Kenny if you are reading this your programme is er burning down in your absence!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I tuned in at 10.35 or so, and there was Myles was droning on about "Achilles and Patroclus"... wtf is going on... I'd say David Norris was the only one who left the radio on..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement