Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I tuned in at 10.35 or so, and there was Myles was droning on about "Achilles and Patroclus"... wtf is going on... I'd say David Norris was the only one who left the radio on..

You Philistine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Callan57 wrote: »
    You Philistine :)

Nothing against some high brow literature but there's a time and a place...

Gay Mitchell on the campaign trail...some caller is after raising the Paul Hill clemency issue as it relates to Norris's appeal and Mitchell's fobbed it off with some generalised rhetoric about the death penalty, and things were quickly moved on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Wertz wrote: »
    Nothing against some high brow literature but there's a time and a place...

Is there anywhere else on daytime RTE Radio 1 that will include something that's a bit "high brow"? Usually it's a case of: "Phone us or text us about anything."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jesus this shyte is SO bad ive actualy turned over the sile seioge.

got a laugh out of gay micthell squirming but this stuff is beyond boring.

where the hell does he FIND them ?

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere else on daytime RTE Radio 1 that will include something that's a bit "high brow"? Usually it's a case of: "Phone us or text us about anything."

Fair comment. I wouldn't be a listener in the evenings but I assume they get a bit more diversified in the content and do some more arts type stuff (maybe I'm assuming too much?)...perhaps some more daytime arts would be a good move but we both already know that you'd have the typical R1 listener complaining that it was over their heads or boring...

This studio discussion started at 11.14...given the week that was in it, 15 minutes is a pitifully short time for a weekly review and discussion of same. Incidentally Drennan makes for painful listening...why does he need to embellish what he has to say with such terrible attempts at irony and allegory?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any presenter that cuts Drennan off mid smart alec metaphor is worth a couple of brownie points.
    Having said that I honestly can't remember Miles being more self indulgent than he has been this past while. Its hard to believe that he once anchored 5 7 live back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Incidentally Drennan makes for painful listening...why does he need to embellish what he has to say with such terrible attempts at irony and allegory?

The ubiquitous John Drennan. He is appalling. I was actually going to start a thread on this guy as a few weeks back he seemed to be quite literally everywhere. RTE/Newstalk/Today FM.

I think he's gotten worse the more he gets asked back, as he obviously believes he's a fount of wisdom and wit of Wildean proportions.

And it's the delivery of his drivel that grates the most. This pompous, smug 'wait for it' tone of voice. Vomitous.

He is dreadful, dreadful, dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think he's gotten worse the more he gets asked back, as he obviously believes he's a fount of wisdom and wit of Wildean proportions.

This definitely happens.. It happened to Terry Prone.. I used to enjoy her on Pat's Friday panel.. But now she really hams it up, with hyperbolic and sensationalist statements..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Agreed. She is insufferable. And again, ubiquitous as a house fly in summer. Like the son, Anton Savage.

That 'gathering' shyte is bound to become wearisome if the talking heads aren't shuffled about fairly regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I tuned in at 10.35 or so, and there was Myles was droning on about "Achilles and Patroclus"... wtf is going on... I'd say David Norris was the only one who left the radio on..

Hi!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Gay Mitchell on the campaign trail...some caller is after raising the Paul Hill clemency issue as it relates to Norris's appeal and Mitchell's fobbed it off with some generalised rhetoric about the death penalty, and things were quickly moved on...

What do you mean "generalised rhetoric"? He quite clearly stated his correspondence was based on his absolute opposition to the death penalty. He didn't ask for any prisoner to be released, his request was based on his belief (genuinely held) that Society should not execute human beings.

got a laugh out of gay micthell squirming but this stuff is beyond boring.

I don't know what you were listening to but there was no "squirming" from Gay Mitchell today.

He answered everything that was thrown at him, honestly and truthfully, and put a few idiotic questioners in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Gophur wrote: »
    What do you mean "generalised rhetoric"? He quite clearly stated his correspondence was based on his absolute opposition to the death penalty. He didn't ask for any prisoner to be released, his request was based on his belief (genuinely held) that Society should not execute human beings.

I don't know what you were listening to but there was no "squirming" from Gay Mitchell today.

He answered everything that was thrown at him, honestly and truthfully, and put a few idiotic questioners in their place.

That sounds like a fair description of the interview that I heard.

I particularly enjoyed the part where a caller wanted to make an issue of Mitchell's reluctance to support separation of church and state, only to learn that all his "evidence" on Mitchell's record was wrong -- but he ploughed ahead anyway.

Before the interview, I was not very keen on the idea of President Mitchell (nor, for that matter, was I enthused by any other candidate or prospective candidate). I haven't actually changed my mind, but I do think that Mitchell had a very good outing today.

Well tbh I don't think the questioner went far enough with his questioning and allowed Mitchell to wriggle off the hook...had he followed through with a question about why it was singly Hill he pleaded stay of execution upon, rather than everyone on FA death row, Hill being someone who Mitchell could identify with on the level of being a staunch anti abortionist (who took his beliefs to an extreme level, hence his sentence)...
    Not going far enough allowed the candidate to come out with a truism a majority of Irish people would probably have come out with; ie. that they are against the death penalty etc....Dungan to get the nod and moves on to the next caller.

I'd say that some of the other questioners were poorly prepared also and had not done their research (as espoused by Mitchell himself) but I'll not go as far as saying that he was given an easy ride (although for instance Gallagher got a much tougher time, and we already know what Norris got, rod made for his own back though)...Kenny might have made more meat of this interview and maybe taken it in a different direction?
    Callers to the show seemed unsure of themselves, perhaps due to being live on radio (or maybe pre-screened? not a fair allegation, just putting it out there though) perhpas due to their own agenda or lack of preparation.
    That Mitchell could brush them off as easily as he did makes him a good politician and savvy to media tactics, although not necessarily a good candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh look !

a gay mitchell voter .

so your the one.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ah, censorship lives?

Strange, folks, that my original post here was deleted.

Not Really. This one is also going for a hop along with a warning to you not to question a moderator decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sheesh Myles and his history fetish.

Anyone want to listen to the myths of 1916 rehashed?

and now the show has gone to the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

bbability wrote: »
    Not Really. This one is also going for a hop along with a warning to you not to question a moderator decision.

Really? You could start with adopting the same standards towards all users.

You have given me a warning with as vague a reason as possible. If that's the standard of this forum, I have no wish to participate any more.

And, with that, I'll bid this forum goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

mike65 wrote: »

With you there.

Why is it when Myles is on we do history? I thought it was a current affairs show.:mad:

Hope Pat comes back soon.

I won't be listening to Miriam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Greenman wrote: »

Why is it when Myles is on we do history? I thought it was a current affairs show.:mad:
    PK show hasn't been a proper current affairs show for some time, 30-40 mins max of Current affairs then onto the books & banjos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Myles needs to cram in as much pre-recording of his "Live, text us on 51551 for just 10c" Sunday history show before his time runs out and he is finally replaced by Miriam. That segment and many others from the last few weeks will be edited and repeated on his "Live, text us on 51551 for just 10c" show.

He threw in another one at 11.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Can anyone tell me who those pretentious artist types were? Annoying.

And is myles seriously trying to tell us that he's never heard of the words 'beure' and 'feen' before?! I suppose its proof of the sheltered lives led by those up in Montrose.

(Cue a shed load of people on here claiming they have never heard of them either...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yep... never heard of either, that's not a claim, I have a pretty good vocabulary and have just never heard of them, apart from being about to search for them on google.

Maybe they are local words.

edit: yes, clearly they are local slang words. Not everyone is from the areas where these seem to have originated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

telekon wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me who those pretentious artist types were? Annoying.

And is myles seriously trying to tell us that he's never heard of the words 'beure' and 'feen' before?! I suppose its proof of the sheltered lives led by those up in Montrose.

(Cue a shed load of people on here claiming they have never heard of them either...)

Only heard that item on playback this morning, actually, and that struck me too.

To be honest, I thought 'beure' was from traveller slang and, therefore, not confined to just one part of the country. Certainly, when I was growing up in the west, it would have been well known.

Ah, well...

Only heard that item on playback this morning, actually, and that struck me too.

To be honest, I thought 'beure' was from traveller slang and, therefore, not confined to just one part of the country. Certainly, when I was growing up in the west, it would have been well known.

Ah, well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelta

Perhaps Myles should grab himself a shelta/english dictionary. Thought with his oorts/drama background he'd be well down with the lingo.
    Bet you Paddy and his dog knew what beur and feen meant...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelta

Perhaps Myles should grab himself a shelta/english dictionary. Thought with his oorts/drama background he'd be well down with the lingo.
    Bet you Paddy and his dog knew what beur and feen meant...

By his own account, Myles was reared in Kells, Co. Meath, whereat there is a cemetary within which there is a series of Traveller Memorials of Baroque splendour which are legendary for "miles" (no pun intended) around. Strikes me as odd then that he may lack knowledge of one of the more prominent native Irish sub-tongues, given that Kells is a major burial ground of the Traveller Community.

Oh here we go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Oh here we go.

I know.

10.18 now and they are still covering a relevant news story.

Myles would have moved on to the latest events in Clonakilty amateur drama society or Killybegs book club by now.

Pat would be interviewing the Ballyjamesduff Banjo Band by now or taking cookery lessons from a housewife in Honalulu.

Having said that, I'm still waiting for Miriam to introduce Mr Gaddafi and one of the sons he has left for a chat about growing up in Tripoli in the rare oul times.

I wonder what songs they'll pick for her to play.

• Advertisement

Tedious CAO chit chat, still that would happen regardless of the host.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement