Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Yep. Good first hour by Miriam apart from the CAO twilight zone. Although I reckon that had to be carried on RTE's 'flagship current affairs' programme as a public service.

That was a chilling clip there from the 911 attacks. However, in the interview that followed my first thought when I heard the woman with the American accent was "what book is this one trying to flog?"

Perhaps this is due to an overexposure to Moncrieff, who I (cynically) believe has the same American woman on his programme everyday plugging a different book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I think they missed a great opportunity with the 9-11 piece there.

The engineer in Pat would have loved the detail about the building collapse and so on.

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh here we go.

Yep, now here we go.

Its a wonder Miriam doesn't have this guys parents in the studio to play their favourite songs. :)

Time for local radio I think. Newstalk is not an option these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

kinda mixed feelings about the show today.

on the one hand no myles which is to be greeted with relief, on the other hand miriams voice really is annoying on radio.

i managed to get to the 9/11 stuff before turning off.

why cant they just stuff racheal english on the show for a couple of weeks?

surely theres someone from the drivetime/morning ireland set that'd kill to do the gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

giftgrub wrote: »
    I think they missed a great opportunity with the 9-11 piece there.

The engineer in Pat would have loved the detail about the building collapse and so on.

Agree it was clear Miriam had just the barest brief for this item prepared by her team, Kenny would have been able to draw out more about the structures and the conspiracies based on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I can't stand that woman's voice so I turned over the minute the intro music faded out this morning...don't tell me I missed an interesting piece about 9/11 conspiracy on the national broadcaster?

No, not really a couple of reporters have written a book about the events of September 11th 2001 which goes through all the various conspiracies as well as detailing a time line leading up the the day. It could have been interesting but wasn't (see my comment above).

http://www.amazon.com/Eleventh-Day-Story-Osama-Laden/dp/140006659X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ah, right...not really surprising, I couldn't foresee O'Callaghan giving much credence to outlandish variations on the official story, at least not enough to expand on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Wertz wrote: »
    I can't stand that woman's voice so I turned over the minute the intro music faded out this morning...don't tell me I missed an interesting piece about 9/11 conspiracy on the national broadcaster?

Thah's a tarrible thing to saiy .

Shaaaime on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My goodness, this one on talking about Wallis Simpson (very cutting edge topic, that) is very shrill....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

My goodness, this one on talking about Wallis Simpson (very cutting edge topic, that) is very shrill....

I suppose they have to work through the bitter aftertaste of Myles. Some PR/advertising slots (like this one for the new book on Wallis Simpson) may have been booked and paid for weeks ago so it will take time to return this to a current affairs show rather than a history/arts show.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

P1ss poor performance by Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

P1ss poor performance by Burton

How many times did she say "That's something we have to look at?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Poly wrote: »
    How many times did she say "That's something we have to look at?"

She sounded a bit like someone who expected a soft interview & got caught out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Has Pat not had enough of the Santa Ponsa sunshine yet? He'll be like a burnt tomato when he comes home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Callan57 wrote: »
    She sounded a bit like someone who expected a soft interview & got caught out

She must have been listening to the presidential candidate interviews earlier in the summer...

later10 wrote: »
    Has Pat not had enough of the Santa Ponsa sunshine yet? He'll be like a burnt tomato when he comes home.

Santa Ponsa.....Nah man.

Portugal is Pakie's retreat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Santa Ponsa.....Nah man.

"I know, for example, when I was in Portugal...."

Santa Ponsa.....Nah man.

How could I forget.

Expect lots of detail about the cost of petrol or the the price a meal for four in Portugal when Pat comes home.

Of course, Pat could probably bail out Portugal all by himself if he wanted to.

How could I forget.

Expect lots of detail about the cost of petrol or the the price a meal for four in Portugal when Pat comes home.

Hmmm ...........maybe not, that lump of rock he bought a while back cost the guts of 1.5m.

Might need a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

somehow i cant see the discussion coming around to "how cheap their national broadcasters are" when listening to radio by the pool !

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How could I forget.

Hope he chokes on a bone. A real big one.

I wonder if Pat uses boards, he almost struck me as a guy who would be interested by some of the categories on here... probably best if he doesn't read this one, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I wonder if Pat uses boards, he almost struck me as a guy who would be interested by some of the categories on here... probably best if he doesn't read this one, though...

Really? He seems too D4 yuppie for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I remember thinking that myself when I heard him cover some topics a while back, the wording he used was very similar to the thread, can't remember what the subject was

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Whatever about trying to fill the gap left by G Ryan, the gap left by PK whenever he goes will be massive.

Myles is OK in short doses, and I think I can bear Miriam's voice for one week, but nobody can do the same job as PK really.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dambarude wrote: »
    Whatever about trying to fill the gap left by G Ryan, the gap left by PK whenever he goes will be massive.

Myles is OK in short doses, and I think I can bear Miriam's voice for one week, but nobody can do the same job as PK really.

God help you. The man's a creep.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

God help you. The man's a creep.

I don't need any help from God, thanks.

I think he's good, and I know plenty of people who'd agree with me on that. That said his salary is a disgrace, and he wasn't exactly great on the Late Late.

I agree, there no Today Show without PK in the seat. If I were to suggest an alternative/successor it would be erm......:( (anyone help me here?)

• Advertisement

+1

Pat is the best for the mid morning programme. (If only we had less of the hey diddle music though).

As for a suitable replacement should poor Pat get hit by a double decker bus in Portugal.

How about Tom McGurk ?
    I thought he was very good when he stood in for Pat a year or two back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement