Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

dambarude wrote: »
    I think he's good, and I know plenty of people who'd agree with me on that. That said his salary is a disgrace, and he wasn't exactly great on the Late Late.
    Absolutely agree. The man is a plank on television, he isn't capable of doing light hearted chit chat with someone who is not particularly erudite. Although I wouldn't call Pat Kenny an intellectual, he is more comfortable with exploring intellectual points of discourse than goofy broadcasting (like for example, Jonathon Ross might succeed at).

When Pat tries to be cool or goofy, he comes across as awkward and a bit tense. And the Late Late show was often awkward and tense.

I know it would have been a difficult interview regardless of who conducted it, but Pat Kenny interviewing Libertines frontman Pete Doherty? Jesus. It was like a father 'having a word' with his daughter's rebellious boyfriend. Full on lecture mode. I can't link to it online because it's been removed from youtube, but it was quite a memorable exchange.

However, put Pat in front of a politician or a scientist and his broadcasting skills really do shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

later10 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. The man is a plank on television, he isn't capable of doing light hearted chit chat with someone who is not particularly erudite. Although I wouldn't call Pat Kenny an intellectual, he is more comfortable with exploring intellectual points of discourse than goofy broadcasting (like for example, Jonathon Ross might succeed at).

When Pat tries to be cool or goofy, he comes across as awkward and a bit tense. And the Late Late show was often awkward and tense.

I know it would have been a difficult interview regardless of who conducted it, but Pat Kenny interviewing Libertines frontman Pete Doherty? Jesus. It was like a father 'having a word' with his daughter's rebellious boyfriend. Full on lecture mode. I can't link to it online because it's been removed from youtube, but it was quite a memorable exchange.

However, put Pat in front of a politician or a scientist and his broadcasting skills really do shine.

Completely agree. On the radio, the preparation he puts into the topics covered really shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Really? He seems too D4 yuppie for that.

Born a Northside man around the NCR , went to O'Connells Schools not your

D4 stereotype in fairness.

Father worked in Dublin Zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

For a serious subject PK has absolutely no rival but he just does not do lighthearted ... salary is absolutely ridiculous though. RTE are very bad at nurturning new talent, I can't understand why they don't use the 'summer' to blood new talent rather than recycling old hands. That would also serve to keep the old hands fresh and nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I know that already, but he has a D4 mindset.

• Advertisement

Why would someone with a D4 mindset not post on boards? I know one individual from D4 in real life who is a regular on after hours. Granted, D4 is more a state of mind (!) but I don't see why it wouldn't be associated with use of boards.ie, or why you seem to think boards is some sort of workman's retreat.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Why would someone with a D4 mindset not post on boards? I know one individual from D4 in real life who is a regular on after hours. Granted, D4 is more a state of mind (!) but I don't see why it wouldn't be associated with use of boards.ie, or why you seem to think boards is some sort of workman's retreat.:confused:

Well, it is more that I never saw elite broadcasters like Kenny, - who are in a D4 bubble - as those who would post on message boards. Just never felt that they would think highly of them in general. Look at Tubridy recently, who can't bear a bit of criticism from the plebs.

In general, I would say the profile of this site is middle class people either full or part time working.

Ah yeah, I see what you mean about being insulated alright.

I was embarrassed for tubs after his diva trip in deleting his twitter account, and then self pitiful declaration that he would fall on his broadcasting sword if he continued to get the two fingers from the listening public. What a hero.

Maybe, but then you should have said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He must have swapped with a chimp.

• Advertisement

He must have swapped with a chimp.

No need for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I too have suspected that Kenny (and a fair few other boradcasters, Matt Cooper especially) read boards.ie forums, judging simply by some of the things I've heard them come out with (can't think of anything specific)...wouldn't be in the least surprised if some of them posted here too, since the anonymity may well be a welcome escape.
    Not sure if any of them read the radio forum though...except Foley. *waves*

Anyway I gave Miriam a chance today I really did, but it was wall to wall Libya which is past saturation point with me so I still ended up turning over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

How could I forget.<br /><br />
    <br /><br />
    Expect lots of detail about the cost of petrol or the the price a meal for four in Portugal when Pat comes home. <br /><br />
    <br /><br />
    Of course, Pat could probably bail out Portugal all by himself if he wanted to.
    <br /><br />
    Thought Pat was a Bermuda man. Seem to recall him praising the natives for their ingenious water recycling methods. As far as I know his wife is from there.

As for Miriam, that woman really needs to slow down when reading from a script. The breathless nervousness is not doing her any favours either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cant find the Tina Leonard fan club thread but she is on now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

here you go (the original thread title was quite rude, so got modded!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Cant find the Tina Leonard fan club thread but she is on now:D

If she was doing her job properly and seriously giving consumer advice, she would be telling people not to bother with The Pat Kenny Show for the Summer months and change to Newstalk..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Tina Leonard giving top tips about renting today: "Choose your flatmates carefully".

Really, ya think?

If she was doing her job properly and seriously giving consumer advice, she would be telling people not to bother with The Pat Kenny Show for the Summer months and change to Newstalk..
    I think The Pat Kenny show has been seriously let down this summer by woeful presenters namely Miriam and by Dungan who is usually a capable go to guy.
    Too much of his own comfort zone topics.
    This show is generally restricted to re working what has already been covered by Morning Ireland unless something breaks mid morning which does not always happen. Therefore it has to delve into the file called backup topics/filler. This is when the show is at its weakest and to be honest a lot of it should not really have been broadcast over the past couple of months.

Time for a root and branch approach before all respect is lost in a sea of historical characters nobody cares about, books nobody will read and bands nobody will listen to.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think The Pat Kenny show has been seriously let down this summer by woeful presenters namely Miriam and by Dungan who is usually a capable go to guy.

The show is gone to the dogs tbh... It's not worth switching on past eleven even when Pat is there.. The summer months with stand in presenters, and handing over to Ronan Collins' Ipod at 11.30, just discourages me further from tuning in... As it stands, the Pat Kenny show is really just from 10-10.30 ..

The show is gone to the dogs tbh... It's not worth switching on past eleven even when Pat is there.. The summer months with stand in presenters, and handing over to Ronan Collins' Ipod at 11.30, just discourages me further from tuning in... As it stands, the Pat Kenny show is really just from 10-10.30 ..
    Yeah I have to agree, sometimes I feel that Pat breathes a sigh of relief at 10 30 when he can move on from the political stuff.

• Advertisement

Todays was particularly poor I have to say. We need some proper low grade knockabout domestic politics to re-awaken Pat I think.

Queen of the obvious on again this morning with some great advice for renters... :rolleyes:

Oh and I'm sure I heard MLOD on the other morning about feet or something...for christ sake didn't she get a seat in the seannad? WTF is she doing at an old people's podiatrist's clinic, moonlighting for PK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

He's been covering the Essex nomadic people. It must be pretty uncomfortable for PK to cover a story about people claiming land that is not theirs.

Poly wrote: »
    He's been covering the Essex nomadic people. It must be pretty uncomfortable for PK to cover a story about people claiming land that is not theirs.

As far as I understand the land IS theirs, but a lot of the 'buildings' don't have planning permission.

As far as I understand the land IS theirs, but a lot of the 'buildings' don't have planning permission.

Yeah I think that's the case.. Though I did see an interview with one of the neighbours and he was seriously p1ssed off with the carry on on the site.. Though I dont think many people in the media wanted to acknowledge his point of view..

Another interesting discussion, the Friday panel, cut short to make way for hits from the 1970s... :( What are RTE at??

Back to 2 hours on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Wertz wrote: »
    Queen of the obvious on again this morning with some great advice for renters... :rolleyes:

Oh and I'm sure I heard MLOD on the other morning about feet or something...for christ sake didn't she get a seat in the seannad? WTF is she doing at an old people's podiatrist's clinic, moonlighting for PK?

here lads, whats a "keropodist" ?

and that MLOD is a teacher !

:)

Worse, she's a feckin' lecturer (both by nature and by job description).

Triple jobbing blue blouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thanks for that man.

for the life of me i couldnt think of the term "lecturer" and i was pretty sure she wasnt a professor so settled on "teacher".

im sure all her students at third level appreciate her unique grasp on english.

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement