Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Paddy talking to people who have forsaken contraception in these hard times.
    Theres a cheap gag in there somewhere, just can't spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I was grinding my teeth during that entire segment.

There's your "the vulnerable", folks. Worried about how much of their free i-had-a-child money they are losing . Think about that when you see 33% of your income going in tax.

At least you're helping out these poor "unfortunates".

The parents may be irresponsible jokes, but are you suggesting that the children themselves should be allowed to rot, with no small support system?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The parents may be irresponsible jokes, but are you suggesting that the children themselves should be allowed to rot, with no small support system?

Free money for doing nothing isn't the answer.

In the vast majority of cases the children will end up the exact same as their parents because the system is just a broken repeating cycle of paying people to go away and be someone elses problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

He's a joke of a presenter really. I wouldn't hire him to wash cars, he seems like an utter bufoon.

He gets people to talk. You get to hear their experiences of life and their views on things. He often digs in a bit, getting below the surface, and revealing real stories.

You might not warm to those people he interviews, but that's not his doing.

Attacking him for what he does is shooting the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Free money for doing nothing isn't the answer.

In the vast majority of cases the children will end up the exact same as their parents because the system is just a broken repeating cycle of paying people to go away and be someone elses problem.

I don't think there is a realistic alternative, though. Anyway, the courts can decide who makes a responsible parent, or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I like O'Gorman too. He sounds to me to be genuinely empathetic... whether you think he's a fool for being so to some of his interviewees is another thing, but like it or not he tends to get frank and honest comments from people who all too often the media either ignore or paint in some sort of "us and them" manner.
    Also some of the subjects usually fall wel outside the comfort zone of a typical radio 1 listener.
    I thought the revisit to old interviews feature in the run up to christmas was good radio and his pieces make a good snapshot of the country warts and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

What was that bit on gambling addiction Pat was discussing, just caught the end of it?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

What was that bit on gambling addiction Pat was discussing, just caught the end of it?.

Some gaa player came out and admitted spending some massive amount of money on gambling in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

McNamee reveals gambling addiction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

As Pat alluded to himself this morning, gambling is among the most dangerous of addictions affecting close family and friends.
    It can take years to blow money away on drink or drugs, but you can lose everything on the outcome of a race or the turn of a card.

Fair play to Niall McNamee for facing up to his torment. I hope he gets all the support he needs and we see him back on the pitch before long.

He's in good hands.

• Advertisement

Did anybody hear the promo for Tubridy's show .. in the middle of one of Pat Kenny's ad break ....

"The Turbridy Show.. 9 to 11 weekdays.. make it part of your daily routine"

It's comes back to Pat, and Pat says:

"On the other hand, you could make US part of your morning routine"...

:D:D:D Pat gets funnier as he gets older..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 99 ✭✭Royal Dub

Why are they playing Deliverance on today's show?

Mary Raftery died.. Wasnt expecting that one.. Didnt think that she was very old.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mary Raftery died.. Wasnt expecting that one.. Didnt think that she was very old.. :(

She wasn't, she was only 54, and died after a long illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Royal Dub wrote: »
    Why are they playing Deliverance on today's show?

I know... it was kinda scary.

As a rural dweller (Co Wicklow) and septic tank user, I’m embarrassed by the attitudes of those in that piece.

It gets my goat hearing this attitude, the pig-headed refusal to consider something that will only be for the good of themselves, their neighbours and the environment.

and as one who genuinely knows... its not like the vast majority of them are shy for €100

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

It must be only a matter of time before "Roooral Ireland" declares independence and they can happily return to the days of driving around on dark nights pissed out of their heads, dumping litter where they want and frankly doing what the hell they please and to hell with consequenses.......it's what they fought and died for in 1916 after all.

To hear one guy there go on about what would Kevin Barry have done if he had to pay a charge for septic tank emissions! Jeeesus wept!

europa11 wrote: »
    It must be only a matter of time before "Roooral Ireland" declares independence and they can happily return to the days of driving around on dark nights pissed out of their heads, dumping litter where they want and frankly doing what the hell they please and to hell with consequenses.......it's what they fought and died for in 1916 after all.

I'm sick of ye people with yer dublin 4 rules...

*grabs pitchfork, starts tractor and points in direction of the N7*

Pat's response to an ad for "making Tubridy part of your morning routine" played during his show..

It was just too good not to upload..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

She wasn't, she was only 54, and died after a long illness.

Very sad ... a very great loss to journalism ... May she RIP

I didn't hear all of this morning's show but as a rural dweller the bit I did hear was downright embarrassing ... what rock do these people crawl out from under?

Paddy O'Gorman pondering "How could you carry out a brief for the Pat Kenny show" while incessantly engaging in masturbation... LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

getting a great laugh out of pats commentators on the film "shame".

the naievity is massive.

poor paddy in particular doesnt seem to have been to an irish nightclub in decades.

its easier to get a ride there than a relationship !

the notion of golden showers seems to be way above/below them too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The naivety reminded me of the peoples talking about "the Passion of St Tibullus" outside craggy island cinema!

Do you see whole lot, do you Father?

Paddy O'Gorman pondering "How could you carry out a brief for the Pat Kenny show" while incessantly engaging in masturbation... LOL

Proves men can't multi-task :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tina is on with a few words of wisdom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ya dont have to let strangers into your gaff if you dont want to.

**** me tina i never wouldve figured that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"You dont know whether the painting quote will include parts"

sez Tina

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I sometimes wonder if my radio is different from everybody else's.

I take an interest in consumer matters, and consider myself fairly well informed and able to look after my own interests. I am also aware that many people are not very well aware of their rights, and not tuned-in on how to recognise and deal with dodgy traders.

My reaction to Tina's piece today was "yeah, I know that, but it's no harm to try to alert other people".

Colm Rapple this morning .... the original & still the best man when it comes to money advice. No over the top nonsense just straight, practical, down to earth advice. I always enjoy him & I would definitely take him very seriously.

Dear god, every time I hear Paddy O'Gorman I get just get madder.... That woman on now... "cos the credit union wouldnt give me a loan for my HOLIDAY"... Then DONT go on holiday... !!!!

• Advertisement

oh ffs and listen to this numpty..

"cheered up the nation".. ???? by p1ssing away money in state handouts to these people... That couple having another child, her bleeding the state for welfare and him living "at home with his parents" when the social come round to check...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement