Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Jim went very quiet when John Crown made the statement about the bad advice that people were given during the boom...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Aha! I was wondering why Jim didn't take the opportunity to tell us how he actually predicted the Crash, as he is habitually allowed to when in the Maids' company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

That night in December will live in infamy. Can't we lock Cowan up or something? Is anyone going after them for incompetence?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What do they expect?

a five star hotel with a swimming pool:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Excellent interview this morning with Tony Foley of DCU .... first real explaination of why these bonds are being paid, at least the first I can understand. I still don't like it but at least it's an understandable explaination. Well done PK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I enjoyed the piece on the French Presidential election. It was well informed and concise (since moving to France I realised that a lot of reporting of things in France is rubbish).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

True,

The manner in which Marine Le Pen has steered th FN to a more moderate posotion than that held by her extreme right wing father is something that has gone unnoticed outside much of France.

The comparison with UKIP in the UK this morning was a decent analogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Stephen Donnelly is a hero!

Probably the best independent TD in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

Stephen Donnelly is a hero!

Probably the best independent TD in the Dail.

No way - do not agree at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Pat reviewing a few books of late.

Always closes off interview with author or critic saying "Price in Sterling is (xxx) Pounds and pence".

Would it kill someone in the PK Show office to ring up a bookshop in town and get the price in Euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jaysus here we go.

rich civil servent moaning about how hard he has it being one of the best paid people in the world and how he's being "forced" to take early retirement cause he'll be out massive amounsts of moola if he retires next year.

when he'll STILL be one of the best paid people in the country.

these ****ers just dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

jaysus here we go.

rich civil servent moaning about how hard he has it being one of the best paid people in the world and how he's being "forced" to take early retirement cause he'll be out massive amounsts of moola if he retires next year.

Indeed. The man claims he has been worn down by a war of attrition trying to get a budget to run the museum. Imagine the pressure he would have been under if he was in the real world earning half the amount and battling to keep his company open. In the public service world the worst that can happen is he doesn’t get new shelves for a display. In the real world the worst that can happen is he loses his job and the jobs of all his staff. He seems to firmly believe that he has been hard done by and poorly paid over the last 20+ years in his secure job and that he has to go now to preserve his lifestyle with a massive pension as opposed to a huge one. Just another example of a public servant living in a parallel universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Tina alert. Prepare for 15 minutes of the bleedin' obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Yakuza wrote: »
    Tina alert. Prepare for 15 minutes of the bleedin' obvious.

lol! It's a bit like listening to Bosco!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jaysus here we go.

Do you know how much he is paid, and what his responsibilities are?

Her segment over.
    Stuff that was trotted out before simply rehashed (with Pat's prompting): Most of what was said.
    New stuff learned: EU Directive to ban excessive CC fees from the like of ticketmaster and airlines will be brought forward.

On balance, a somewhat worthwhile piece, for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

touts wrote: »
    Indeed. The man claims he has been worn down by a war of attrition trying to get a budget to run the museum. Imagine the pressure he would have been under if he was in the real world earning half the amount and battling to keep his company open. In the public service world the worst that can happen is he doesn’t get new shelves for a display. In the real world the worst that can happen is he loses his job and the jobs of all his staff. He seems to firmly believe that he has been hard done by and poorly paid over the last 20+ years in his secure job and that he has to go now to preserve his lifestyle with a massive pension as opposed to a huge one. Just another example of a public servant living in a parallel universe.

did you hear him crying about not being considered the equal of another grade and being looked down on because of it ?

this fifedom shyte is rampant in the CS with everyone condecending to everyone else and is one of the reasons its so dysfunctional.

no wonder no one in the private sector will go into it, it must be like working in a court in 15th century france.

patently obvious the only reason the bloke was on the show is because he's a mates of pat, what with all the mutual backslapping at the end.

did you hear him crying about not being considered the equal of another grade and being looked down on because of it ?

this fifedom shyte is rampant in the CS with everyone condecending to everyone else and is one of the reasons its so dysfunctional.

no wonder no one in the private sector will go into it, it must be like working in a court in 15th century france.

patently obvious the only reason the bloke was on the show is because he's a mates of pat, what with all the mutual backslapping at the end.

Do you know how much he is paid, and what his responsibilities are?

Just listened to the interview with the departing director of the National Museum ... My God what a self-serving, gratuitous, pompous & overpaid ego!
    Surely control of costs is a central responsibility of the job of director and likewise if he has people retiring who are 'experts' it is a failure on his part not to have made provision for the upskilling of others?

I'm a great supporter & regular visitor to the National Gallery & Museum but surely in the current financial state of the country they can hardly expect to be exempt from cuts. It just goes to prove how far removed these senior civil servants are from the reality of the world the rest of us are living in & he is going on a very, very generous pension & will still be well cosseted from that reality & as he says he will be able to enhance his pension with lecturing & speaking arrangements.

Whinge, whinge, whinge

Callan57 wrote: »
    Just listened to the interview with the departing director of the National Museum ... My God what a self-serving, gratuitous, pompous & overpaid ego!
    Surely control of costs is a central responsibility of the job of director
    You opened your post by saying that you listened to the interview. It dealt with constraints on the degree of control the director has.
    and likewise if he has people retiring who are 'experts' it is a failure on his part not to have made provision for the upskilling of others?
    You said you listened to the interview. One instance he gave was the retirement of the natural history museum's only entomologist in circumstances where there is no provision for recruiting a replacement. What should he have done? Trained up a curator to take over the role of a PhD scientist?
    I'm a great supporter & regular visitor to the National Gallery & Museum but surely in the current financial state of the country they can hardly expect to be exempt from cuts. It just goes to prove how far removed these senior civil servants are from the reality of the world the rest of us are living in & he is going on a very, very generous pension & will still be well cosseted from that reality & as he says he will be able to enhance his pension with lecturing & speaking arrangements.
    Do you know how much Dr. Wallace is paid, and what his responsibilities are?
    Whinge, whinge, whinge
    Yeah, but maybe your whinge is unjustified.

• Advertisement

Well he said in the interview that he is on Principal office level which is 100,000+ .... so no, I do not accept he has any justification for this morning's whinge when you consider what others in this society are now expected to survive on!

My heart does not bleed for him ... and no it is not on the day someone is due to retire or on the month before that you make provision for their departure .... a known, inevitable event!

IMO clearly another area where money was freely allocated and when things tighten they are unable or unwilling to negotiate & fight their corner in more constrained circumstances.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Well he said in the interview that he is on Principal office level which is 100,000+ .... so no, I do not accept he has any justification for this morning's whinge when you consider what others in this society are now expected to survive on!
    And where in the interview did he whinge about his pay or his pension? Have you any answer to my question about his responsiblities?
    My heart does not bleed for him ...
    I don't think he is asking that your heart bleed. It is unfair to represent what he said as a plea for personal sympathy.
    and no it is not on the day someone is due to retire or on the month before that you make provision for their departure .... a known, inevitable event!
    So how could he provide for the replacement of a PhD scientist who has just recently decided to retire? In answering that, please take account of the recruitment embargo in the public service.
    IMO ...
    I note that you are stating an opinion ...
    ... clearly another area where money was freely allocated and when things tighten they are unable or unwilling to negotiate & fight their corner in more constrained circumstances.
    ... and in the absence of anything adduced in support of it, I will treat it with the lack of respect it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

She seemed to have enjoyed herself in the cab of that truck

who is this bird talking about trucking?
    I've never heard her before.

I don't want to hear her again.... she is excruciating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I thought that segment was fairly entertaining tbh.

There's a sh1te* subject being discussed now :D

Dog poo

As a not exactly proud resident of that town I can vouch the footpaths practically swim in dog-doo, especially outside the main street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm glad we are hearing more about Fracking on mainstream media.

It scares me that potential jobs are being pushed ahead of serious environmental considerations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

who is this bird talking about trucking?
    I've never heard her before.

I don't want to hear her again.... she is excruciating!

She's back again. She hasn't been on for a while and I thought we'd heard the last of her.

No such luck.

She became so annoying that she even has her own thread here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Lapin wrote: »
    She's back again. She hasn't been on for a while and I thought we'd heard the last of her.

No such luck.

She became so annoying that she even has her own thread here.

Oh no! Why do the likes of Pat Kenny and Vincent Browne indulge her so much?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement