Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

telekon wrote: »
    Was saying on the liveline thread yesterday Ivy that I have problems with it every day (both the website stream and the TuneIn radio app on my phone.)

Its a joke. It looks like RTE spent a lot of money with its fancy design but my stream keeps dropping off and I have to reload it maybe 8/9 times an hour. Really annoying.

They've invented these yokes called 'Radios' which will pick up RTE anywhere in Ireland by all accounts..they even work with batteries and cheap as chips! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I live in Dublin and stream is perfect any time I listen to it (like today), only radio is in my bedroom, listening to it on computer now cos I'm in my living room and on computer, I have a Mac maybe its more solid on these as opposed to PC's? I would email RTE if I lived abroad and had constant problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Happyman42 wrote: »
    They've invented these yokes called 'Radios' which will pick up RTE anywhere in Ireland by all accounts..they even work with batteries and cheap as chips! :D

I'm not in Ireland so those "yokes" won't cut it. But thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

telekon wrote: »
    Was saying on the liveline thread yesterday Ivy that I have problems with it every day (both the website stream and the TuneIn radio app on my phone.)

Its a joke. It looks like RTE spent a lot of money with its fancy design but my stream keeps dropping off and I have to reload it maybe 8/9 times an hour. Really annoying.

I haven't had too many problems with it recently, but this morning it did not play at all til just there now. The podcasts play fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

The RTE 1 stream has been very unstable recently - sometimes it doesn't load at all with Firefox (seems to be better with Chrome, mind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

This solicitor is terrible. PK doing a very good job with his questioning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

That guy representing the Olympic Council of Ireland on the Pat Kenny Show this minute is easily the most arrogant, ignorant and offensive person I have heard on Irish radio in a long long time.

Incredibly infuriating. What an insulting arsehole as if mentioning some ten times that Justine McCarthy writes for "Rupert Murdoch" negates anything she said, never mind the pain of that abuse victim. The only redeeming aspect of the "interview" is that Kenny lost it with him and went through him for a shortcut. Arsehole then turns around and says to Kennedy "you're emotive".

The name of the arrogant, patronising fúcktard in question is Giles Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Rebelheart wrote: »
    That guy representing the Olympic Council of Ireland on the Pat Kenny Show this minute is easily the most arrogant, ignorant and offensive person I have heard on Irish radio in a long long time.

and he got his little dig into to Pat by saying 'you know yourself about legal costs'.

I missed most of that, stream issues, will look out for it on playback / podcast. He did sound like a toss3r, for sure. That poor girl got appalling treatment, let down on all fronts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This solicitor is terrible. PK doing a very good job with his questioning.

I hadnt seen your post before reading Rebelheart's and downloading the podcast for a listen... I thought exactly the same about the solicitor, he was awful..

His childish, derogatory and somewhat populist references to "Rupert Murdoch's paper" - Did he think that by aligning Justine McCarthy with Murdoch's paper that this would bring people on to his side of the argument???

The OCI certainly have some responsibility for Gibney.. This issue is just about money.. I see Pat Hickey as a self serving and mischievous character, so I wouldnt expect any better from his organisation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I hadnt seen your post before reading Rebelheart's and downloading the podcast for a listen... I thought exactly the same about the solicitor, he was awful..

His childish, derogatory and somewhat populist references to "Rupert Murdoch's paper" - Did he think that by aligning Justine McCarthy with Murdoch's paper that this would bring people on to his side of the argument???

The OCI certainly have some responsibility for Gibney.. This issue is just about money.. I see Pat Hickey as a self serving and mischievous character, so I wouldnt expect any better from his organisation

Just listened to the podcast now & I absolutely agree .... that solicitor is a disgrace to his profession & a pathetic example as a human being. Well done Pat Kenny & my admiration for Justine McCarthy is enhanced ... she is a superb journalist regardless of what paper she writes for! Appalling the treatment that woman has received & Justine McCarthy deserves praise for her calm and measured outlining of the case & for her continued concern for the victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Callan just reminded me of something else I meant to say...
    Giles Kennedy: "She (Justine) has seen the letters that were written to implore the lawyers that were acting for this unfortunate woman to discontinue the proceedings that they were bringing against the Olympic Council Of Ireland because they were destined for failure. They were hopeless, it was desperate."

Since when does a plaintiff take legal advice from the lawyer of the defendant? He presented it as though they (the experts) had advised this silly woman to desist and she refused to listen to sense.. And like Pat Kenny said, it is for the people of Ireland to decide for themselves as to whether the OCI have any responsibility for Gibney, whether the courts consider that they should be held legally responsible or not.

He also accused Justine McCarthy of having seen all the letters associated with this private case.. Even though she is slightly conflicted with her husband's connection to the case, he has no grounds to make the assumption that she goes in to his office and starts rummaging through the files.. Very unprofessional, arrogant and irresponsible performance from Giles Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Am I alone in never having heard of most of the musical guests that Pat has on his radio show? It's as if they've just arrived from another planet most of the time. Some of them are half-decent, some of them are rubbish but I'm often wondering where he gets them from.
    The only one I had heard of was Dan Boyle and that was memorable for all the wrong reasons. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Am I alone in never having heard of most of the musical guests that Pat has on his radio show? It's as if they've just arrived from another planet most of the time. Some of them are half-decent, some of them are rubbish but I'm often wondering where he gets them from.
    The only one I had heard of was Dan Boyle and that was memorable for all the wrong reasons. :eek:

They are generally promoting a new album or tour so I presume RTE get something for the interview. Same with the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

And they are always the same folksy / country musicians.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lurleen Lumpkin turned up next week to promote some new material

Mabey its a sign of the listening demographic (or Pats own preference).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah he's an independent.

i was wondering why he got prosecuted but the lads in my area doing the same thing, but were members of political parties, didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Some Irish people really are barbaric towards animals :(

I wonder will PK refer to today's ruling by the BAI about Sean Gallagher's complaint?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Yakuza wrote: »
    I wonder will PK refer to today's ruling by the BAI about Sean Gallagher's complaint?

the bagmans complaint didn't merit further investigation per the BAI

SG not 'doing' interviews (must be afraid that he will slip up again)

Bagman 0 PK 1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

my friend wrote: »
    the bagmans complaint didn't merit further investigation per the BAI

SG not 'doing' interviews (must be afraid that he will slip up again)

Bagman 0 PK 1

It is not within the remit of the BAI to investigate any further than it has.

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic; I heard his replacement on the Dragons' Den on The Last Word; he sounds like an interesting chap. Looking forward to watching the new series.

Getting back to PK, he'll have to mention it in passing at least, elephant in the room and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Getting back to PK, he'll have to mention it in passing at least, elephant in the room and all that.

For a starter they will have to read out the BAI ruling, then theres the fact that the radio show (not just frontline) was found 'guilty' - specifically the failure to mention the SF press release that the tweet was not an official SF tweet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

well, what was the outcome? what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

my friend wrote: »
    well, what was the outcome? what happened?
    He glanced over it saying they will discuss it another day but they (RTE PK team) felt today was the wrong/Inappropriate day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

i wonder does Pat have 'angry mob' coverage on his home insurance, given his high salary.

I really enjoyed the last slot with Sue Townsend - I'm of a similar age to Adrian Mole and loved reading that series when it came out. (I had to re-read it a few years later, as there were a few subtle things I missed the first time around :))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I really enjoyed the last slot with Sue Townsend - I'm of a similar age to Adrian Mole and loved reading that series when it came out. (I had to re-read it a few years later, as there were a few subtle things I missed the first time around :))
    Yeah same here, great to hear her in such good spirits.
    I was delighted to hear that another Adrian Mole is in the pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Monday: speaking to female musician
    *Adopts soft voice*
    "Wonderful.......Wonderful"

Tuesday: speaking to female musician
    *Adopts soft voice*

Wednesday: speaking to female musician
    *Adopts soft voice*

Thursday: speaking to female musician
    *Adopts soft voice*

Friday: speaking to female musician
    *Adopts soft voice*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

leo varadkar getting his arse handed to him over election promises.

fun to hear hims squirm TBH.

:)

• Advertisement

I bet he still thinks it's better to be in power and being sniped at from the sidelines, rather than being in opposition (which they have been for most of my adult life). All politicians think it's better to be on the inside p1ssing out, than on the outside p1ssing in!

He keeps implying (when the FFer lets him get a word in edgeways) it will take more than they year that they've been in power to unfcuk the country after 14 years of FF rule.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement