Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There are loads of negative items about them why shouldn't there be one positive story? To say 100% of a population are crooks is dangerous nonsense which is the view that some people on these forums seem to hold about Nigerians/Travellers/insert prejudice here, re: your fraud story I could tell you about the 2 Nigerians I worked with (one in accounts, one in stores) who were decent blokes who paid their taxes, liked the craic and worked hard but where's the sensationalist angle in that?

Its not my fraud story. Its a caller to Joe Duffy as outlined in the promo to Liveline earlier. If you want to talk to Joe about your two ex colleagues (for balance) the number is 1850 715 815.

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Lapin wrote: »
    There are loads of negative items about them why shouldn't there be one positive story? To say 100% of a population are crooks is dangerous nonsense which is the view that some people on these forums seem to hold about Nigerians/Travellers/insert prejudice here, re: your fraud story I could tell you about the 2 Nigerians I worked with (one in accounts, one in stores) who were decent blokes who paid their taxes, liked the craic and worked hard but where's the sensationalist angle in that?

Its not my fraud story. Its a caller to Joe Duffy as outlined in the promo to Liveline earlier. If you want to talk to Joe about your two ex colleagues (for balance) the number is 1850 715 815.

Good luck with that.

You know quite well I meant the story you were referring to not that you rang it in, if the guy is a crook fcuk him, my only.point is that not all of an entire population is criminal, I have no problem with liveline covering the story but if 100% of rte items were about criminal Nigerians without any balance I would have a problem with it, hence its nice to hear a positive story like Kenny one now and again, but then again I'm a fair minded person who takes people as I find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

You know quite well I meant the story you were referring to not that you rang it in, if the guy is a crook fcuk him, my only.point is that not all of an entire population is criminal, I have no problem with liveline covering the story but if 100% of rte items were about criminal Nigerians without any balance I would have a problem with it, hence its nice to hear a positive story like Kenny one now and again, but then again I'm a fair minded person who takes people as I find them.

Well I take MLO'D as I find her ... and I find her a patronizing, over the top, bombastic & downright boring reporter. Which is why my finger goes directly to the off button the instant I hear her name mentioned consequently I didn't hear the item on the Nigerians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Callan57 wrote: »
    Well I take MLO'D as I find her ... and I find her a patronizing, over the top, bombastic & downright boring reporter. Which is why my finger goes directly to the off button the instant I hear her name mentioned consequently I didn't hear the item on the Nigerians.

Yeah she is a tad manic alright, wouldn't be my favourite "reporter" on that show either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

great txt sent into Pat in response to all those gambling useless old f&rts in Newbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

great txt sent into Pat in response to all those gambling useless old f&rts in Newbridge.

What did it say ?

Lapin wrote: »
    What did it say ?

i can't remember the wording as Pat read it out quickly and finished with a Joe Duffy sigh, but it was sneering at the bumpkins who Paddy O'Gorman was in a pub talking to, and pointing out how they're gambling (and not winning) their dole and state pension money on horses and drink. I found it a bit sickening myself, reinforces the stereotype of us as nation of simpletons who are perfectly content sitting in a pub all day and shouting at whatever is on the tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Very noticeable that the day they have to read the apology to Gallagher, PK is away, leaving Myles in the hot seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pats Paddys Day Long Weekend dontchaknow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

handy coinkydink.

:D

thought miles did alright though as a stand in. pat might need to be on guard with his wage scale !

• Advertisement

jaysus.

myles not even pretending theres an option to a yes vote on the fiscal compact.

its that or "waves" throughout europe.

not quite sure what type of waves or what the apocalypse will be that he says WILL effect the markets.

not might, not could, not even "in my opinion" .

WILL.

you'd think with ALL the shyte RTE has got into lately they'd be a bit more conscious of keeping their rampant bias off the airwaves.

but shure what can ya expect when your dealing with a bunch of yes voters talking to another bunch of yes voters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Heard this guy Fergal Keane splutterin and stumblin over the Mahon Report...who is employing this gimp ?

Can they not get someone who can put a few words together coherently ?

is Mason the in-vogue name for Tallaght mothers these days? What happened to Josh, or Cian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Heard this guy Fergal Keane splutterin and stumblin over the Mahon Report...who is employing this gimp ?

I agree Fulton, Fergal Keane is an excitable disgrace

is Mason the in-vogue name for Tallaght mothers these days? What happened to Josh, or Cian.

I was laughing at that too

Mason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Keane was just on Drivetime, talking over Brian Dowling's every utterance - turning the first half of the show into a incoherent mess. Wilson or Dowling should of told him to shut the **** up. A huge story completely fluffed and it's all down to Fergal Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

More apologies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

More apologies:D
    Funny how it was about Bertie as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

An apology to Bertie Ahern at the start of the show, his week is looking up already :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Missed the start of that, having to apologise over that chancer of all people!

• Advertisement

ah heres comrade joe !

:D

say what ya will about him he was the only guy to piss off ahern in the dail.

this has been quite fun so far, even if the pannel is stuffed with apologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Don't trust Des Peelo,one who is on a character recovery mission.Am not convinced too that that Bertie's presence at negotiations was essential to the Northern deal.He was an important part of an inevitable political tide towards common sense and mutual benefit.Peelo said yesterday on RTE1 that Bertie is a highly intelligent and enigmatic person.Surely "cunning" and "devious" would be more appropriate epithets

Don't trust Des Peelo,one who is on a character recovery mission.Am not convinced too that that Bertie's presence at negotiations was essential to the Northern deal.He was an important part of an inevitable political tide towards common sense and mutual benefit.Peelo said yesterday on RTE1 that Bertie is a highly intelligent and enigmatic person.Surely "cunning" and "devious" would be more appropriate epithets

+1

Remember, the only crime in Fianna Fail is getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Planning scandals now being discussed.FF culture of corruption does precede Haughey era.Yes lots of money was made through insider knowledge and planning influence throughout the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

what was the apology for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

That was like going back in time listening to Des Peelo today. Nearly a word for word repeat of his mitigation speech for Charlie the night they published the McCracken Tribunal report.

At the very least, doing the forensic accountacy for them both is not bad PR for Des in certain circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I noticed Des Peelo getting sufficiently more speaking time than Joe Higgins.

Good ol' RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Des peelo - there must a be a special place reserved for his type in the afterlife.....at least he won't need a coat.

Isn't it amazing how Bertie, a man who claimed not to have ever held a bank account, could know of the existence, and indeed pupose of, a forensic accountant.

Have to say, the most cunning and devious of them all certainly learned well while he sat at the heel of his Master.

btw, and to repeat an earlier question, what was that "apology" to the man of untruths for at the beginning of the PK Show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Owryan wrote: »
    what was the apology for ?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/kenny-aired-a-onesided-rte-show-on-bertie-finds-watchdog-3060112.html

PAT KENNY'S radio show has come under fire for broadcasting a "one-sided" show on Bertie Ahern featuring his former party colleague Royston Brady.

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland has taken RTE to task for its "unfair" coverage of the last Taoiseach and his financial affairs on the 'Today with Pat Kenny' show on October 27.

It upheld a complaint, by an unnamed individual, against the show just a day after the Mahon Tribunal condemned Mr Ahern's own account of his finances.

The authority said its Compliance Committee upheld the complaint against the programme that centred on a discussion of Colm Kenna's book, 'Bertie: Power and Money', last year.

It found that Mr Ahern should have been given a right of reply given the allegations were made about his honesty on the programme, which was aired last October.

On the show, Pat Kenny was joined by journalist Colm Kenna, former Fianna Fail Dublin Mayor Royston Brady and Fianna Fail activist Joe Tierney.

During the show, Mr Tierney said Mr Ahern did everything "with a motive for himself". "Fianna Fail owes nothing to Bertie Ahern but Bertie Ahern owes everything to Fianna Fail," he said.

The authority said the person who complained argued that the discussion during the programme on the newly released book was "one-sided".

The person who made the complaint said it "should have contained a balancing voice", but "demonstrated a lack of fairness, objectivity and impartiality".

The broadcasting authority said the focus of the discussion on the political and financial activities of Mr Ahern and criticism of these activities "was a legitimate subject matter" for a news programme.

"However, given the allegations made during the programme as well as the personal remarks about the motivations and honesty of Mr Ahern, the absence during the programme of a right of reply or alternative perspectives on Mr Ahern was considered unfair," said the broadcasting authority. It said the programme was, therefore, in breach of the Broadcasting Act.

The announcement of the authority's decision to uphold the complaint was broadcast on RTE radio yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

If anything, yesterday's broadcast came across just as pro-Bertie, as that was anti-Bertie. Overcompensation, I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement