Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Can't believe 30mins has been spent on this nonsense .... we had it all weekend - ENOUGH :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

FF TD's really have some neck

Guineys closing

ah here leave eh ouuu

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bord Gorsh wha' LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Conor Pope is worlds ahead of Tina Leonard on the consumer stuff.. And he delivers it with far more confidence.. Dont know why RTE dont subcontract all that stuff to him.

But I dont agree with him on the "lethargic" people for not changing back to ESB.. I think people have a pain in their h0les with different companies being hit with Government diktats to shed customers to supposedly help competition... If the purpose of this whole thing was to reduce costs, then have done the reverse...And how it makes sense for the ESB and Bord Gais to duplicate the task of selling electricity, is beyond me.. It is just doubling all overheads..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Its not doubling overheads though.

The generation component was split from the "customer supply"
    The generating companies sell to the customer supply providers who in turn sell to us.

Most costs are incurred by generation (fuel) as this power is only being created once...and moved via a single national grid there is not much in the way of extra costs.

Obviously BGE & Airtricity will have costs associated with customer care call-centres & customer accounts etc.... however these depts tend to run pretty efficiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

The Energy "Regulator" on with Pat now. Just how many of these toothless, overpaid celtic cubs and their quangoes are there to be s;ashed?

Dirigent wrote: »
    The Energy "Regulator" on with Pat now. Just how many of these toothless, overpaid celtic cubs and their quangoes are there to be s;ashed?

He sounds like he went to the "Pat Kenny school of Speech" roisch?

Someone that texted in said that it's not easy to switch as when they tried from Airtricity to ESB they had to pay €8.50, set up a new account and wait 13 months??

Did I hear that right.

I've been with BG for last 2 years or so and am looking to go to Airtricity now - bonkers tells me I can save 110.00 over the year.

Am I bonkers moving to Airtricity ???

No wonder the prices keep going up:(

You need a Michael O' Leary type dealing with these energy gangsters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paddy here, Paddy there, Paddy is everywhere.

Dirigent wrote: »

Just what I was thinking ... his doesn't seem to be able to do anything about anything so what the bloody point of these guys?

Callan57 wrote: »
    Just what I was thinking ... his doesn't seem to be able to do anything about anything so what the bloody point of these guys?

Its cunning government.
    EU or "best practice" say we should have regulators & the like.
    Frame the statute creating same in a way that they have no real power just in case that becomes inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If I made another switch it would save me €50 per year.

Tbh, I couldn't be arsed.

I'd say Pat has a station full of guards queuing up to plug their books..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It's a bit of a joke to me, trying to say parents and college going kids are separate. If a child gets the grant, that saves the parents a fortune. Not every student has a part-time job.

It's a bit of a joke to me, trying to say parents and college going kids are separate. If a child gets the grant, that saves the parents a fortune. Not every student has a part-time job.

Pat's point was bang on... The initial premise for the grant is that the student's PARENTS do not earn enough to be able to support the son/daughter through college... So it seems the USI want the link between parent and child when it can be used to extract money from the State, but then completely disassociate the two when it means being responsible for the household charge.. Hypocrisy..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Pat seems to be studiously avoiding the allowances issue today.

There must be some whoppers in montrose.

Have to laugh when Chris donoghue is more cutting edge than the nations "premiere" broadcaster :D

Pat seems to be studiously avoiding the allowances issue today. There must be some whoppers in montrose.

With regard to the coffee morning, I bet Marian is putting the cost of the coffee on expenses, and the cost of Charlie Bird to host it while she is in France..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pat seems to be studiously avoiding the allowances issue today.

There must be some whoppers in montrose.

Have to laugh when Chris donoghue is more cutting edge than the nations "premiere" broadcaster :D

the way chris donoghue was saying it this morning that there were no cuts but the news at 10 on rte were saying the unions were up in arms that allowances had been cut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

neris wrote: »
    the way chris donoghue was saying it this morning that there were no cuts but the news at 10 on rte were saying the unions were up in arms that allowances had been cut
    AFAIK it's only cuts for new entrants, not for those currently employed.

AFAIK it's only cuts for new entrants, not for those currently employed.

So its not really cuts

I did find the RTE news odd.

How can the unions whine about an agreement (re: new PS entrants) that they themselves are a party to?

Do they whine like this about their choice of lunch in the union canteen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

He went through the allowances today

A secretary who gets an allowance for working 9-5 because she can't take advantage of flexitime :pac:

Allowances when you are on holidays because you don't get the allowance you possibly could have got for something else :pac:

Good times for the PS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did I just heard Pat Kenny suggest Obama v Romney was in some way comparable to Robert Peel v John Russell re the Irish famine? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Boombastic wrote: »
    He went through the allowances today

A secretary who gets an allowance for working 9-5 because she can't take advantage of flexitime :pac:

Allowances when you are on holidays because you don't get the allowance you possibly could have got for something else :pac:

Good times for the PS

I was flabbergasted when I heard those (esp. the latter). How can the unions defend this? It's indefensible.

Read one of the allowances for the air corps yesterday that newstalk had put up. "air Alowance" to be paid to personel who had to get air borne inclusing engineers. Like paying a mechanic extra to go in a car after fixing it

Yakuza wrote: »
    I was flabbergasted when I heard those (esp. the latter). How can the unions defend this? It's indefensible.

You can't blame the Unions they were doing exactly what their members paid them to do (same as James Reilly was doing when he represended the consultants!) .... the issue is with the "other side" of the negotiating table. If Management & their political masters lacked backbone & liathróidí you can hardly blame the unions for playing their advantage can you? Bit like expecting a football team to ignore an open goal! :confused:

Bet Pat expected his contract negotiator to get the best possible deal for him ... and indeed they did push the open door in RTE! :rolleyes:

Hypocrisy of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I take your point that the Government backed down in the face of a perceived thread of industrial action. The tail is wagging the dog, it would seem.

Any reasonable person ought to be sickened at the concept of someone being able to claim an allowance whilst on holiday because they're not entitled to claim the allowances they normally get while working. You couldn't make this stuff up- mé féinism of the highest order...

I didn't elect the unions, yet I will be directly affected by their intransigence in that savings that won't be made will have to be made up for by me and all the other John Q Taxpayers out there.

• Advertisement

Oh Dear God we have Marie Louise O'D hyperventilating this morning ... hope Pat give plenty of notice so I can hit the channel change button. She's enough to make me wish for a Donegal victory :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement