Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Yakuza wrote: »
    You're missing the point - he's on about the effect on their kids, not the prisoners per se.

Edit - was replying to My Friend, not Callan.

Then I suggest you re read the last paragraph of my post

'The negatives they are presenting are what keeps loving and caring parents from conducting activities that might land them in prison in the first instance...'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

"I've no knowledge of accounting". That much is clear, Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ffs listening to these gimps you would think these billionaires went into business as an altruistic way of helping the world, its to make gigantic profits for themselves, employment is a by product to these people not the motif, reminds you of the Irish peasants bowing and scraping to the landowners 200 years ago, sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Ffs listening to these gimps you would think these billionaires went into business as an altruistic way of helping the world, its to make gigantic profits for themselves, employment is a by product to these people not the motif, reminds you of the Irish peasants bowing and scraping to the landowners 200 years ago, sad.

"Everyone hides money away for their family" ... OH NO THEY DON'T and definitely not half a billion :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Also, have the thought about the hardship caused to all the irish (not just a few people employed in Cavan) by the Anglo debacle?

• Advertisement

I'm confused now, has the story moved on to Gandhi, all the downtrodden touching his garments?

Callan57 wrote: »
    "Everyone hides money away for their family" ... OH NO THEY DON'T and definitely not half a billion :eek:

was that the Priest that said that?

Also, have the thought about the hardship caused to all the irish (not just a few people employed in Cavan) by the Anglo debacle?

Sean Quinn didnt need to buy a bank

Sean Quinn didnt want to own a bank

Sean Quinn wanted to own the Bank that held so much of his debt

Cant even compute the damage he would have caused if he had sneakily acquired it as was his plan....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think it is shocking that the first person to go to jail in the state with regard to the financial crisis is Sean Quinn, and is testament to the fact that the State always find itself on the right side of the law in such cases.. No action taken against central bank, no action taken against staff in The Department of Finance (some of whom KNEW about the illegal share sales in Anglo), token action only taken against McAteer, Drumm, Fitzpatrick, managers who recklessly ran banks for their own financial ends are still receiving huge money in wages and pensions, ratings agencies are all still held in high esteem (even though they are paid by the banks).....

From the moment the State took over Anglo there was only gonna be one winner, and it's not justice. It's all about the State protecting the State..

great to hear the SW Inspectors are doing their jobs their effectiveness might also explain the rise of FF again

• Advertisement

my friend wrote: »
    is Des Cahill the biggest dick on Irish radio?

Sneaky little remark about "privileged" Pat .. :D

More fekn moochers.. justify their sponging..

Borrowing at 6% from the Germans to pay for the Lithuanian unemployed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

I'm not pro-Israel, but it's very hard to take any discussion on Israel/Palestine seriously when Fisk weighs in with his completely unbalance pov.

Totally agree. Seriously biased. Kenny loves him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

is Des Cahill the biggest dick on Irish radio?

Probably the smallest dick on Irish Radio, he just overcompensates with his blustering.
    Sneaky little remark about "privileged" Pat .. :D

I've been to a Formula One event (once, mind!) - you don't need to be privileged to go to it :) Just goes to show Cahill's mindset, if it's not something you can see here or (at a push) in the UK it must be something only for the rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭touts

Tim Pat Coogan is on about the Famine. I presume it was DeV's fault.

Then I suggest you re read the last paragraph of my post

'The negatives they are presenting are what keeps loving and caring parents from conducting activities that might land them in prison in the first instance...'

Again, I repeat, I thought your man's point was that it's unfair *on the child* when one of their parents is locked up.

If someone has been sent to jail, then, yes they are being punished for something they did (but don't forget that what they did could be on a spectrum from non-payment of a fine to murder) then fine, punish them, but what's the harm in letting them see their kids in a somewhat child-friendly environment for a few hours a week/month so *the child* can have some semblance of a normal childhood via interaction with their parent? It might even break a cycle of crime where a child grows up into a balanced adult instead of a scrote if they've had access to both parents.
    I fully agree that victims of crime (and their dependents) are shafted by our justice system, but I don't see the harm (from the child's point of view) of letting a child interact with their parent (even if it's in a room with a few toys on a table)

Just saying / a bit of Devil's advocacy :)

Praise the Lord, Julie Feeney is on the radio and it's not "Impossibly Beautiful". Cannot hear that song one more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Praise the Lord, Julie Feeney is on the radio and it's not "Impossibly Beautiful". Cannot hear that song one more time.
    She has a lovely voice but there is something about her style of singing that reminds me of when I was kid and I used to mess with the volume button, turning it up and down constantly during a song.

I couldn't listen to that warbling at all, I thought it was dreadful stuff and that some of his US folk slots were more listenable to. Chacun à son goût, I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Robert 'I heart Hamas' Fisk trolling our airwaves
    I'm not pro-Israel, but it's very hard to take any discussion on Israel/Palestine seriously when Fisk weighs in with his completely unbalance pov.
    mattser wrote: »
    Totally agree. Seriously biased. Kenny loves him.

The interview with Fisk was followed immediatly by a discussion with the Israeli Ambassador.

You cannot get much more balanced or unbiased than that.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    The interview with Fisk was followed immediatly by a discussion with the Israeli Ambassador.

I made my comment before the ambassador came on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Fair point.

However I always find PK (on radio) to be one of the most balanced interviewers in the country and would have anticipated some counter argument to Fisk.

Unlike many others in Kenny's profession who are content to air one side of a story or give a voice to a weakened alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Fisk is English, and never stops running down the U.S. A Palestinian spokesperson would be more appropriate to counter the Israeli Ambassador.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

MLO'D Alert .... I'm gone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Good point.
    I noticed the anti-Fisk posters didn't point out any errors or untruths in Fisk's contribution to the prog yesterday.

Fisk has a great deal of experience in the Middle East, and considering how pro-Israeli voices seem to dominate the mainstream media it's informative to hear his view on the conflict.

Good point.
    I noticed the anti-Fisk posters didn't point out any errors or untruths in Fisk's contribution to the prog yesterday.

Fisk has a great deal of experience in the Middle East, and considering how pro-Israeli voices seem to dominate the mainstream media it's informative to hear his view on the conflict.

To be fair the media in Europe is quite balanced, RTE in particular; whereas in the US even liberal media like NPR are very pro Israeli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Well, that was pretty much the most openly pro-legalisation/decriminalisation of cannabis discussion I've heard on Irish radio. All professionals with experience and knowledge of drug abuse, drug crime, etc.

They should repeat it for Liveline and see the reaction of Joe's brigade to evidence-based discussion of pragmatic public policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Sacksian wrote: »
    Well, that was pretty much the most openly pro-legalisation/decriminalisation of cannabis discussion I've heard on Irish radio. All professionals with experience and knowledge of drug abuse, drug crime, etc.

They should repeat it for Liveline and see the reaction of Joe's brigade to evidence-based discussion of pragmatic public policies.

...and it takes a TV drama to make some of these 'professionals' realise how bad it is out there?
    Thinly veiled ad for Love/Hate. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Happyman42 wrote: »
    ...and it takes a TV drama to make some of these 'professionals' realise how bad it is out there?
    Thinly veiled ad for Love/Hate. :rolleyes:

To be fair, they were supposed to be discussing Love/Hate and crimes/gangs, etc - that was the plan for the discussion ahead of this morning - it was one of the guests who sort of shoehorned cannabis legalisation into the conversation and they went from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

QUOTE=Technocentral;81838880]To be fair the media in Europe is quite balanced, RTE in particular; whereas in the US even liberal media like NPR are very pro Israeli.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be so sure . In so many cases the view presented is the establishment view. Sometimes it's even hard to detect; it's just the choice of language e.g the use of terms "war on terror", "WMD", "war on drugs".

A classic example was the invasion of Iraq and the media reporting of WMD and Saddam H's connection with Al- Quaeda. Jeremy Paxman admission that he accepted Colin Powell's pre-invasion evidence because he (Powell) was "a decent man and trustworthy". Astonishing really. The New York Times (no less!) belatedly apologising for it's failure to investigate and report pre-invasion propaganda lies.
    More recently it's was the blanket characterisation of Libyan rebels and Syrian rebels as freedom fighters - maybe they are but it suited western powers to do that. Remember the Afghan mujahadeen and Taliban were also western allies ( well US and UK) once. The Sunday Times castigating Egyptian protesters and supporting Mubarak in the early days of the uprising is another example.

Closer to home: What surprises me about RTE presenters/journalists is their willingness to reveal and interject their own opinions as part of their questioning of interviewees. Sometimes they do this without the need to offer any evidence. A recent blatant example from Marion F springs to mind. BBC presenters would scrupulously avoid this approach - not that that makes them unbiased

Re Israel: They have powerful lobbies in the corridors of power, the experienced PR machine, connections with think-tanks, are western allies and are "partners in the War on Terror" . They secure more air time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement