Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ivana Bacik making full use of her chance to get on another panel show... Her statement yesterday that any inquiry "must meet the needs of the family" is such an emotive and ridiculous statement from a legal person.. Surely the priority of any inquiry must be to find the truth and see if any measures can be taken to prevent such a death occurring in the future. No inquiry could ever meet the "needs of the family", and the family are unlikely to be happy with any inquiry as it will not bring the woman back..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Ivana put duct tape over her yap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ivana Bacik making full use of her chance to get on another panel show... Her statement yesterday that any inquiry "must meet the needs of the family" is such an emotive and ridiculous statement from a legal person.. Surely the priority of any inquiry must be to find the truth and see if any measures can be taken to prevent such a death occurring in the future. No inquiry could ever meet the "needs of the family", and the family are unlikely to be happy with any inquiry as it will not bring the woman back..

Didn't President Higgins say that?

Didn't President Higgins say that?

You're right actually.. I was googling for what she said on the news yesterday, that came up under my search with her name within 24 hours.. From what I remember she went even further saying something to the effect that the "priority" with such a report is that the family are happy with it... I'll find it and repost.

You're right actually.. I was googling for what she said on the news yesterday, that came up under my search with her name within 24 hours.. From what I remember she went even further saying something to the effect that the "priority" with such a report is that the family are happy with it... I'll find it and repost.

What's the matter with that?

• Advertisement

From Ivana Bacik on Morning ireland November 22nd 2012. She did actually say it, she was reiterating what Michael D Higgins said:
    "I think the time has come to recast the enquiry as President Michael D Higgins said yesterday, any enquiry into Praveen's wife's death must meet the needs of the family as well as the public and the state."

"There must be some way of reaching an agreement as to what sort of enquiry would meet his needs"

From Ivana Bacik on Morning ireland November 22nd 2012. She did actually say it, she was reiterating what Michael D Higgins said:

So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

So what?

The truth, surely, is the priority - that, and making sure that this never happens again. Making sure that Savita's family is happy with the enquiry cannot be the end point.

The truth, surely, is the priority - that, and making sure that this never happens again. Making sure that Savita's family is happy with the enquiry cannot be the end point.

I don't think it's unreasonable to meet the concerns of the family after what's happened to them. Do you?

Perhaps the poster just has an issue with the fact that a female Dublin liberal said it and not a male rural FGer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

IB's indefatigable in her zeal. Drives me round the twist as does that smoothie solicitor. Must have a standing invite to RTE - and all the stations.

Will use every rhetorical trick in the book. Everything is the law the law until it suits her to jettison it - as Michael D blatently did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Boyd Barret talking nonsence as usual :eek:

Why was Willie O'Dea given 20 mins by RTE to attack the Government? He should have been forced to resign from politics after swearing that false affidavit. Not sure quite how he got out of that one, but it seems to be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Stuttering Willie must feel that Fianna Failure have done their penance, or perhaps more accurately he believes people have the attention span of goldfish (understandable if the latest opinion polls are to be believed!) and have forgotten just how much damage he and his colleagues had done during their 15 or so years at the helm.

Partly guessed it would only have been a matter of time before he re-appeared on the national airwaves, he's been back to his normal compulsory coffin chasing duties down here for some time now. After all no funeral is complete without WillieO doing his funny walkpast, commisserations for your vote.

+++

as for Rich Boy Barrett, best summed up by the caller who termed him a Little Lord Fauntleroy who wants to lead a riot from the back.....also the Union heads who find common cause with the "wurrkers and the downtrodden in our society"...a little more humility and slimmer pay packets might be in order from those "I'm alright Jack" merchants before they start calling out the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

What surprises me about RTE presenters/journalists is their willingness to reveal and interject their own opinions as part of their questioning of interviewees. Sometimes they do this without the need to offer any evidence.

If you think they're bad, you've obviously never listened to [Fox]NewsTalk.
    europa11 wrote: »
    also the Union heads who find common cause with the "wurrkers and the downtrodden in our society"...a little more humility and slimmer pay packets might be in order from those "I'm alright Jack" merchants before they start calling out the masses.
    That's why Croke Park "works" ... Union heads pay rates are tied to Civil/Public Rates (at a certain level). Pay the PS more and by extension the Union boys get more. A powerful reason for them to defend Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

serfboard wrote: »
    If you think they're bad, you've obviously never listened to [Fox]NewsTalk.

Fox News? Sure I have, though I've not felt the compulsion to watch it for quite a while now. It's like the WWF wrestling of journalism - oddly compelling for a while, but hard to believe that the rest of the audience seems to accept it as reality. Fake punches - fake reporting. I think to myself; "Why are you cheering at that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Had to laugh at the comment made during the Charles Dickens segment about Dickens "being all about death and sickness"

Obviously Pat never tunes into to our very own, and still very much aliveline Dickensian, Joe Duffy :D

fkn hell poor Pat Byrne.... Another case of the RTE sound team making a pigs ear of it... Feeding back every couple of seconds..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

fkn hell poor Pat Byrne.... Another case of the RTE sound team making a pigs ear of it... Feeding back every couple of seconds..
    And he actually sounds like a good singer. What a pity.

And he actually sounds like a good singer. What a pity.

Well he's only gonna have five minutes of fame, and RTE have ruined about 20% of it.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Good hear to David McWilliams on Pat's show today. I forget who the twisting stooge was, but between Pat and David the government guy was made to look a right twat. He is one of those half tame attack dog types in the style that little pr!ck from Limerick. Threatening us with Greek style austerity and then harping on about how Argentina was in trouble for taking unilateral action. (totally irrelevant to our situation). The boys just took him to pieces.

You get the feeling this shower are even more terrified by their european political/banker masters that the last lot were.

Whats the betting Pat gets retired and some yes man like Jim Power gets his job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

Pat acting the maggot again. All innocent like 'If the Greeks can get it why can't we?'

Pat we can't get it because the Greeks got it.

Why don't we go to the Greeks and say 'Ye got a pile of money there lads - give us some.' Or say to EU if you give Greeks €100 bn we want 10%.

This 'we owe the money to ourselves' lark is another stupid comment. If it was that simple we would write it off. AIB got €500m in the markets today at 3% over three years. BOI got €1 bn two weeks ago. ESB got €500m the same week. Nama got Treasury bonds away at less than 1%. Would that money have come if we did a unilateral on the pro notes as that a**hole McWilliams wants?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Following a discussion on domestic politics and European matters, Pat now turns to a celebrity chef to talk about chickens.

I expected better on the day the Levison Enquiry is being published.

The findings of which have caused a rift in the Westminster coalition government which could result in their break up.

A matter of no little importance.

But a recipe book takes precedence on Today with PK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Lapin wrote: »
    Following a discussion on domestic politics and European matters, Pat now turns to a celebrity chef to talk about chickens.

The findings of which have caused a rift in the Westminster coalition government which could result in their break up.

Well in fairness, the item was probably prepped beforehand ... "here's one I did earlier" ;)

Pat's show, like a lot of others, does rely on new books to fill it out. But if the Levenson report breaks during the show, I'd expect them to be on it. There's not a lot that can be said about it until it's published, without going over old ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Things are tough enough for retailers without Paddy O'Gorman's item on how to beat the stores security tagging system :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lapin wrote: »

If you were patient......

in other news Make Hay Slowly!

mike65 wrote: »
    If you were patient......

in other news Make Hay Slowly!

Perhaps the second story covered on the Six One News this evening will be a piece about flower arranging in wicklow before they turn to other news of rockets blowing kids to smithereens in Israel and Gaza ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno what your beef is to be honest. Its a two hour magazine programme, he said they'd talk about it and he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Very educational stuff on today's show: How to rob DVD's and vodka. Now, if only they told us how to steal a box of tin foil without being noticed. It must be very difficult for them to conceal it and not get caught :D

mike65 wrote: »
    Dunno what your beef is to be honest. Its a two hour magazine programme, he said they'd talk about it and he did.

Thats my beef right there.

RTÉ themselves don't describe it as a magazine programme. Its frequently referred to as their flagship current affairs daily radio programme.

Their own website describe it as follows....
    Today with Pat Kenny

[URL="javascript:playLatestProgramme('133');"]0002b7e2.jpg[/URL]Rock solid, right in the middle of the morning, Today With Pat Kenny assesses the main news stories of the day and goes behind the headlines to bring you the very latest.

And....

Today with Pat Kenny
    Mid-morning current affairs.
    10am

The show doesn't know what it is.

I have no problem with it being a magazine programme if thats what they want. I'll go elsewhere for news and current affairs while Pat discusses recipes and tells banjo players what a good sound they have.

But I don't like being told its a news programme and then being fed a mixture of dumbed down time fillers about rhubarb tarts and Marie Louise O'Dramatic talking shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Very educational stuff on today's show: How to rob DVD's and vodka. Now, if only they told us how to steal a box of tin foil without being noticed. It must be very difficult for them to conceal it and not get caught :D
    I'd say there were lots of retailers listening this morning who weren't too happy with Paddy's item on how to rob stuff from stores and get away with it!

I wouldn't miss Paddy's contributions if they were dropped. He seems to thrive on the misery of others :(.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement