Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

The snorting and snot sucking is very off putting, whoever is doing it.

Think it's Noonan feeding from the trough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I find him (Noonan) very gruff and not fit to deal with the public. Whenever someone makes a point that is not quite correct he pontificates on the error that was made rather than addressing the substantial point. Typical politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I like the PK show but the music is normally pants.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

Yakuza wrote: »
    I find him (Noonan) very gruff and not fit to deal with the public. Whenever someone makes a point that is not quite correct he pontificates on the error that was made rather than addressing the substantial point. Typical politician.

No. Untypical in being precise and accurate. That's what I like about him. Both did well today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is Roisín Shortall defecting or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭touts

Is Roisín Shortall defecting or what?

She jumped ship months ago over Reilly. She is now the postergirl for the campaign to tax the hard pressed middle class more.

Good loser wrote: »
    No. Untypical in being precise and accurate. That's what I like about him. Both did well today.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's well suited for the job, and would like to think he's a good negotiator behind the scenes, but I found his dealings with the callers condescending.

Probably what coloured my post yesterday was his gruff "No" to the guy who was asking about some form of credit in respect of stamp duty paid against the property tax. I reckon I've paid about 50 years' worth of property tax when I bought my home. Ah well, thems the breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Don't get me wrong, I think he's well suited for the job, and would like to think he's a good negotiator behind the scenes, but I found his dealings with the callers condescending.

Probably what coloured my post yesterday was his gruff "No" to the guy who was asking about some form of credit in respect of stamp duty paid against the property tax. I reckon I've paid about 50 years' worth of property tax when I bought my home. Ah well, thems the breaks.
    The guy in question asked Noonan the question and specified he just wanted a "simple yes or no answer". He got what he asked for.

Oh and about the music, would it not have been cheaper just to stick on a Sinatra CD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Oh and about the music, would it not have been cheaper just to stick on a Sinatra CD?

I thought both songs were played from CD.. The second song started very quickly more like a button was pressed... But like the man said, if you turn off the radio, he sounds just like Frank Sinatra.

• Advertisement

The guy in question asked Noonan the question and specified he just wanted a "simple yes or no answer". He got what he asked for.

Fair enough. There's still a 12-ish billion shortfall to make up between income and expenditure, so roll on budgets 2013, 2014 and 2015. The low-hanging fruit is well gone at this stage, so the screws will really get ratcheted up in the next years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

When I heard the question, I thought the demand for a yes or no answer was wrong, and should not have been allowed: that sort of questioning precludes any opportunity to explain the answer, and can therefore be very unfair. I was immediately interested in how Noonan would respond. I thought it would have been reasonable for him to say "No, and this is why ...". It was, to my mind, brave of him to limit his answer to one word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

touts wrote: »
    [Rosin Shortall] is now the postergirl for the campaign to tax the hard pressed middle class more.

I don't agree - I think she's become like the conscience of the Labour Party and wants the government to go after the rich more. And what's rich? As someone said on the show there are 100,000 people earning over 100,000 in this country - thems the rich ones. The extra USC charge for earnings above 100K should without doubt have been brought in, IMO.
    I was immediately interested in how Noonan would respond. I thought it would have been reasonable for him to say "No, and this is why ...".
    Agreed - but there is a conventional wisdom that says "when you're explaining, you're losing".

serfboard wrote: »
    Agreed - but there is a conventional wisdom that says "when you're explaining, you're losing".
    There is another strand of conventional wisdom that says that when you allow yourself to be boxed into a corner, you're losing.

The real art is in judging which guideline to follow. That's not easy, and you can't please everybody. Sometimes it seems that politicians (those in power, anyway) can't please anybody. Of course, we know that most of our politicians want to please everybody, and their next preference is to avoid annoying anybody. So they tend to obfusticate. A handful don't, and whether I agree with their political standpoint or not, I respect their honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I don't agree - I think she's become like the conscience of the Labour Party and wants the government to go after the rich more. And what's rich? As someone said on the show there are 100,000 people earning over 100,000 in this country - thems the rich ones. The extra USC charge for earnings above 100K should without doubt have been brought in, IMO.

If your single and earning over 50,000 your wealthy, the extra USC should be on earnings over that as well as a 55% tax rate.

There's no way there are 100,000 people earning over €100,000 per annum.

At an even €100,000 per person per annum their total income would be €100,000,000,000 or €100 billion.

Total wage/salary income in the economy is about €70 bn.

Just on a point of detail.

The price you paid for your house included stamp duty but that does not necessarily mean you would have paid the net price if there was no stamp duty.

Because of the booming market you could easily have paid the same gross price; effectively the Govt was just picking the stamp duty from the builders/developers pocket.

Just like the VAT from the suppliers - though there there was more competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0Dz6Ci4GwPNij_jW5qgvYNbIs4rB4vlpVUkbvIXVwsTIXDBf9

Is this Prof. Dr. Gunther Gruhn on the radio this morning ?

Apparently we Irish misspent the money lent to us by German investors and pension funds and we must repay those debts.

Like **** we did. I didn't see a cent of the money and neither did anyone I know. But the Reichstag know they have **** all chance of getting their money back off the likes of Fingers, Fitzie and Quinner so they send the heavies after us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Very interesting discussion regarding Germany. But why, oh why does it have to be interrupted by the sports "news"? Does Des Cahill need to get to the canteen for lunch by 11:10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Fascinating discussion this morning ... PK Show at it's very best

Callan57 wrote: »
    Fascinating discussion this morning ... PK Show at it's very best

What's really facsinating is the line "It could have happened in Germany and if it did there would be revolution but it happened in Ireland and in your juristiction so you have to take responsibility" coming from the Ambassador.

It's clear now that we have bailed out their gambling investors and pension funds no help will be coming from the Reichbank or their puppet ECB. Our only hope now is that Greece defaults and pulls the whole rotten pile down around the ears of the Germans.

I can't actually figure out what that woman is talking about .... she seems to be flailing all round her but not actually making her point :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Dirigent wrote: »
    Very interesting discussion regarding Germany. But why, oh why does it have to be interrupted by the sports "news"? Does Des Cahill need to get to the canteen for lunch by 11:10?

Totally agree, as unnecessary as an X Factor "news" slot. Sports should be limited to dedicated programmes instead of taking a regular slot on current affairs programmes.

Callan57 wrote: »
    I can't actually figure out what that woman is talking about .... she seems to be flaining all round her but not actually making her point :confused:

Marie Louise O'Dramatic hasn't been on already, has she ? ;)

Lapin wrote: »
    Marie Louise O'Dramatic hasn't been on already, has she ? ;)

You anticipated her ... I'm gone :eek:

I spoke too soon, wait for me.

Something faintly sickening about MLOD saying that Leahy made "interesting and controversial remarks about how money is used" and then making a pat remark about how the Foxford rugs kept homeless people warm, without any mention about how many beds HER double jobbing could finance.

Totally agree, as unnecessary as an X Factor "news" slot. Sports should be limited to dedicated programmes instead of taking a regular slot on current affairs programmes.

I agree, that slot has no place being there on an ongoing basis. The "banter" between PK and Cahill always seems forced, with Cahill always looking for ways to trump PK on his knowledge of this that and the other. Cahill should be put out to seed, and let someone else that doesn't nose whistle into the microphone so much take his place.

• Advertisement

If the people who regularly campaign here against broadcasters got their way, there would be nobody left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement