Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

It's about time the State started treating the Travelling community with sympathy and giving them minority status... They should be treated like the mafia they are.. Pat Kenny's show, is the only one that is prepared to address the issue..

The criminals amongst them should be treated with contempt, but you can't cathegorise 100% of a people as criminals, thats totally unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭touts

Some lads on complaining about their local 5 mile stretch of local road being dangerous. Join the queue. Half the major roads in the country (e.g. Limerick to Waterford and Limerick to Cork) are just as bad and have actual fatal accidents on a regular basis rather than potential fatal accidents. Got to love the local parish we're the centre of the universe attitude.

touts wrote: »
    Some lads on complaining about their local 5 mile stretch of local road being dangerous. Join the queue. Half the major roads in the country (e.g. Limerick to Waterford and Limerick to Cork) are just as bad and have actual fatal accidents on a regular basis rather than potential fatal accidents. Got to love the local parish we're the centre of the universe attitude.

They have every right to highlight a dangerous situation like that, as has everyone else, why wouldnt they do it on the nations flagship current affairs show? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

touts wrote: »
    I don't mind the issue being discussed, but one thing that was a bit odd, was the guy talking about all his family members who had accidents. 1. They're from the area, don't they know it's dangerous? and 2. A speed limit will be of no use if locals who know the danger of the road are having accidents there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This is actually very educational.. never have I learned so much about procreation...

Also, Pat Kenny thinks women are hot.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

This is actually very educational.. never have I learned so much about procreation...

Also, Pat Kenny thinks women are hot.. :pac:

Prof Kingsland has a great attitude to his subject, practical & with a good sense of the ridiculous :)

I like the football metaphor as well... talks to people in language they understand...

I can just imagine it... "Well you have the testosterone levels of John Terry, and your sperm have the mobility of Luis Suarez, but you have about as much chance of procreating as Carlos Tevez."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I like the football metaphor as well... talks to people in language they understand...

I can just imagine it... "Well you have the testosterone levels of John Terry, and your sperm have the mobility of Luis Suarez, but you have about as much chance of procreating as Carlos Tevez."

Think tevez has 2 kids already so youd be having some little kicker then

neris wrote: »
    Think tevez has 2 kids already so youd be having some little kicker then

yeah I thought about that when I said it.. I was gonna say Ian Dowie, but I dont know if anybody would remember him..

On another note I think Pat should have gone to that spoofer Brendan Keenan first this morning... I dont think he was half expecting Peter Browne to be as vociferous in his criticism of the Department Of Finance (for selling the share of BOI) as he was.. It seemed to me that he changed his own analysis after hearing what Peter Browne had to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I was hoping he would say "if theres grass on the pitch, play ball!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

That counciller from Galway who is advocating tougher measures against the burglars is spot on !

No point in waiting for the pencil lickers from the local nick....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hah, I didn't think I'd ever hear the words 'with extreme prejudice', or words to that effect, on the PK show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

That counciller from Galway who is advocating tougher measures against the burglars is spot on !

No point in waiting for the pencil lickers from the local nick....

He's about as infantile as the Yank NRA spokesman, with their reaction to the Sandy Hook killings, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". Except the bad guy here doesn't have a gun. Yet.

As the barrister said, the only think he'll achieve is to guarantee a return raid by the burglars, to get his gun for themselves.

I wonder would barrister Michael O'Higgens refer to John Ward as "Mr Ward" if he found him in his sitting room in the early hours of the morning... The approach should be taken in legislation that if you break in to somebody's house and harm them, you will serve minimum of twenty years without possibility of release...

However if somebody breaks in to your house and you harm them a) You should be allowed to do whatever you see fit to defend your family and no criminal action should be taken against the householder and b) the fact that the intruder WAS IN THE PROCESS OF COMMITTING A CRIME should invalidate any possible civil claims against the householder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'm enjoying listen to yer wan from the IPHA squirming when the drug price rip off scandal is being highlighted on the airwaves (again).

Yakuza wrote: »
    I'm enjoying listen to yer wan from the IPU squirming when the drug price rip off scandal is being highlighted on the airwaves (again).

She's making a fairly pathetic job of defending this rip-off :mad:

Last autumn, French health authorities shut some pharmacies for a month for not selling enough generics. They should do something like that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

"Can you name one drug that's cheaper in Ireland than Spain?"

"Sputter sputter sputter, but not when you add in tax, pharmacy costs etc etc."

Meh, another ongoing scandal being long-fingered by our woeful so called government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Last autumn, French health authorities shut some pharmacies for a month for not selling enough generics. They should do something like that in Ireland.

My doctor always prescribes the generics, if available.
    "Can you name one drug that's cheaper in Ireland than Spain?"

"Sputter sputter sputter, but not when you add in tax, pharmacy costs etc etc."

Meh, another ongoing scandal being long-fingered by our woeful so called government.

When we go abroad, not just Spain, my wife stocks up on a couple of things. We usually have a discussion with the pharmacist because we wouldn't know the local generic name but last September we were in Spain and told the pharmacist the brand of drug in Ireland we wanted and what it cost here. His reaction was priceless, and rightly so. A months prescription here is over €50, he charged something like €7 !

He was probably straight onto his bank manager when we left looking to set up over there.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    My doctor always prescribes the generics, if available.

When we go abroad, not just Spain, my wife stocks up on a couple of things. We usually have a discussion with the pharmacist because we wouldn't know the local generic name but last September we were in Spain and told the pharmacist the brand of drug in Ireland we wanted and what it cost here. His reaction was priceless, and rightly so. A months prescription here is over €50, he charged something like €7 !

He was probably straight onto his bank manager when we left looking to set up over there.

In France, the doctor gives the drug name. The pharmacy can give you the brand, or the generic (if one is available). Is it true that in Ireland if the doctor puts the brand name on the script, the pharmacy can't give you the generic?

The whole Pharma thing ...it .is so obvious that the big pharma companies here must be putting immense pressure on the Govt. not to address this profiteering.

That coupled with lazyness by the GP'S makes us have yet another "dearest in Europe" award.

Whoever let that lady from the Pharma Board on live radio without any media training deserves to be sacked...terminated with extreme prejudice mebbe....Kenny and the Times guy could have filleted her if they had a mind to.

The whole Pharma thing ...it .is so obvious that the big pharma companies here must be putting immense pressure on the Govt. not to address this profiteering.

That coupled with lazyness by the GP'S makes us have yet another "dearest in Europe" award.

Whoever let that lady from the Pharma Board on live radio without any media training deserves to be sacked...terminated with extreme prejudice mebbe....Kenny and the Times guy could have filleted her if they had a mind to.

Totally out of her depth ... but isn't the real issue the way too cosy relationship between doctors, pharmacists & parmaceutical firms?

Callan57 wrote: »
    Totally out of her depth ... but isn't the real issue the way too cosy relationship between doctors, pharmacists & parmaceutical firms?

Yes ..that is a major factor...the pharma companies bombard GP'S with goodies and largess to prescribe their branded drugs.

But I'm sure the same pressures must be there in other countries - like Spain - who seem to have much cheaper drugs and medicines.

How have they cracked it ?

They should replace O'Gorman with that Brian guy doing stories from around the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

More MOTR, anodyne dreck for our aural pleasure. Just waiting for the the "Wow" at the end.
    These bands all sound the same to me, I must be getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

They should replace O'Gorman with that Brian guy doing stories from around the Country.

dont think i could put up with stories about the child of prague, saint anthony and some simpleton talking bout his chinese bride. the boredom might force me to death

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Callan57 wrote: »
    She's making a fairly pathetic job of defending this rip-off :mad:

Nobody really could defend this blatant rip -off.

Big pharma companies must have some kind of a 'lean' on Govt. to allow this stuff to continue,as a previous poster suggested.

Otherwise the prices would surely be more in line with other countries.

Our dependence on the pharma Industry is a tad worrying, shades of the building and construction debacle if they move out.

Unlikely perhaps but not an impossible scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Breaking news of a helicopter crash. And over now to our London Correspondent. Oh wait we don't have one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

To his credit, Simon Coveney is always on top of his brief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement