Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

MrsD007 wrote: »
    No, MLOD took early retirement from DCU last year.

Senators in storm over €23,000 leader perk

"She (Marie Louise O'Donnell) also said she resigned from her position in Dublin City University (DCU) to take up her Seanad seat, which was given to her by the Taoiseach."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I've listened to Declan Ganley a lot and I still have no idea what exactly he is in favour of, every time I think I know what he's getting at he launches off into a vague, esoteric rant, "Articulate a real vision" ... what exactly does that mean?
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The bit I like from that article is this:
    MLOD wrote:
    What we're paid in the senate is €65,000 a year. (From) this I pay everything, all taxes and everything. You're left with very little and rightly so. I have a very, very small pension and a huge mortgage and a child at €15,000 a year in graduate medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

serfboard wrote: »
    The bit I like from that article is this:
    "What we're paid in the senate is €65,000 a year. (From) this I pay everything, all taxes and everything. You're left with very little and rightly so. I have a very, very small pension and a huge mortgage and a child at €15,000 a year in graduate medicine."
    I see MLOD was educated in the P Flynn school...

I think the rule of thumb should be.. if the people you are negotiating with are saying that you are "doing a great job", then you obviously arent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pat sits back and sparks up a joint:D

Pat sits back and sparks up a joint:D

FEkn foreigners coming out here taking our jobs, telling us to be positive... Oh here we go, Paddy O'Gorman.. that's the end of the "positive changes"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Ah, how I missed MiseryGuts O'Gorman these last few days. Cheeky buggers in work calling planning meetings during the PK show, what a nerve!

I will never donate to that charity because i have seen people getting hampers and vouchers who dont need them

they can also buy drink and smokes with their vouchers

I see MLOD was educated in the P Flynn school...

Must be a Mayo Character trait :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

They're not "working class" Paddy, they all live on the Scratcher. They're Welfare class.

They're not "working class" Paddy, they all live on the Scratcher. They're Welfare class.

Underclass

an embarrassment to the working class

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

For some reason, I'm getting an urge to dig out and listen to Graceland. :) It's only, what, just over 26 years since it came out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

That was quite nice music today, and the baby was bopping his head off, that's always a good sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Underclass

LOL :D

All this talk about 'class' reminds me of this sketch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Underclass

Nice to see the milk of human kindness runneth over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Nice to see the milk of human kindness runneth over ;)

It's hard to have it run over when its being sucked dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

touts wrote: »
    It's hard to have it run over when its being sucked dry.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge people. We don't know their backgrounds, we don't really know their situations. I don't think anybody ever deliberately sets out to be on welfare for the long term. All we get is a 30 second soundbite from Paddy O'Gorman's tape recorder and a judgemental sigh from Pat "750k a year" Kenny. It's fairly obvious that the PK Show has an anti-welfare agenda. If you need proof of this, just listen to his interview with Joan Burton on Monday.

I detest Paddy O'Gorman's reports and I wish to God they were dropped, as far as I'm concerned, his reports are the radio equvilent of the Jeremy Kyle Show. I hate the way Paddy comes across all sympathetic while he is with people and once he is in studio, he becomes all preachy and judgemental :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge people. We don't know their backgrounds, we don't really know their situations.
    I agree, the thing is there are good and bad in every walk of life.

I think people also need to remember that some the greatest damage done to our country, its economy and its reputation was caused by men (for the most part) who were privately educated, wore flash designer suits and played golf and swigged champagne in their elite country clubs. Now that the country is broke, we all seem very quick to turn on each other, we're all looking for someone to blame, Monday, it's the nurses, Tuesday, it's social welfare recipients and on it goes........:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Kenny is one of the best radio presenters in Ireland. He is highly underrated and i think some what taken for granted
    by the listening public.Not many presenters can hold a show and bounce topics as well as Pat Kenny.

...In my opinion.

• Advertisement

LeakyGee wrote: »
    Kenny is one of the best radio presenters in Ireland.

...In my opinion.
    I agree, he definitely is but he could do with dropping a couple of his regular contributors - Marie Louise 'I'm so dramatic' O'Donnell and Paddy O'Gorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I detest Paddy O'Gorman's reports and I wish to God they were dropped, as far as I'm concerned, his reports are the radio equvilent of the Jeremy Kyle Show. I hate the way Paddy comes across all sympathetic while he is with people and once he is in studio, he becomes all preachy and judgemental :rolleyes:

I agree, the thing is there are good and bad in every walk of life.

I think people also need to remember that some the greatest damage done to our country, its economy and its reputation was caused by men (for the most part) who were privately educated, wore flash designer suits and played golf and swigged champagne in their elite country clubs. Now that the country is broke, we all seem very quick to turn on each other, we're all looking for someone to blame, Monday, it's the nurses, Tuesday, it's social welfare recipients and on it goes........:mad::mad::mad:

Mary Harney and Mary Coughlan did a fair bit of damage.
    Sean Quinn, Sean Fitzpatrick,Bertie Ahern,Paddy Neary........... none of these were privately educated. Is there something wrong with being privately educated by the way?

With regard to social welfare recipients. If you seriously believe that there is not a hardcore of people who have no intention of ever working then you are naive. There are generations of families who have no intention of working and feel entitled to hold that position.Paddy seems quite adept at identifying this particular cohort as opposed to those on welfare who genuinely want to work and have lost their jobs. There are two distinct categories and everyone knows that.

You know full well that I was referring to the damage caused by wealthy bankers and developers but you definitely can throw some politicians into the mix if you want.

I agree with you to an extent about Paddy, the item is rubbish and I feel it should be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

You know full well that I was referring to the damage caused by wealthy bankers and developers but you definitely can throw some politicians into the mix if you want.

I agree with you to an extent about Paddy, the item is rubbish and I feel it should be dropped.

Sorry MrsD, totally disagree with you on this one.

Its impossible to know for sure but I bet instances of welfare fraud have been reported by listeners as a direct result of hearing those welfare cheats he interviews.

Besides, if anything is to be dropped, it should be all the non-current affairs items i.e. the rubbish music segment and the cooking segments. Cooking demonstrations don't work on the radio! Sheesh, has no one told them yet?!

Telekon - I'll give you an example of why I hate Paddy's item - a couple of months ago Paddy spoke to numerous people who had been up on shoplifting charges, he gave these people 10/15 minutes to describe in detail how to rob goods from stores without the security tag systems going off. This is just what every business struggling to survive needs at the minute (not).

Pat is an intelligent man but I can't understand why he felt the need to discuss this [how to beat store security] in even greater detail after listening to Paddy's report :eek: but then Pat did have an item on how to make some sort of explosive another morning, lol :D

As I said in an earlier post, I see Paddy's contributions as the radio equivlent of the Jeremy Kyle Show. There have been lots of very sad cases too, people who have very genuine problems - serious literacy issues, drug/alcohol addiction, abuse etc. I feel uncomfortable with the lives of these people being invaded (I know they agree to be interviewed) and there is something awful about Paddy and Pat giving their judgements after each piece as if they were in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

LOL :D

All this talk about 'class' reminds me of this sketch ;)

Originally there were meant to be four people in that Comedy sketch, but the man representing the Welfare Class didn't bother getting out of bed to film it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

As I said in an earlier post, I see Paddy's contributions as the radio equivlent of the Jeremy Kyle Show. There have been lots of very sad cases too, people who have very genuine problems - serious literacy issues, drug/alcohol addiction, abuse etc. I feel uncomfortable with the lives of these people being invaded (I know they agree to be interviewed) and there is something awful about Paddy and Pat giving their judgements after each piece as if they were in court.

Don't see anything "awfull" about it to be honest...listening to some of the roaches that Paddy interviews would boil any taxpayers blood.

I agree with a previous poster when he says that there is a cohort of people who look on welfare as a way of life and have no interest or intention of working.

What shines out for me from these peices is the lazy attitude of the public servants dealing with these people with the courts /remand / bail areas being perticularly shambolic.

Why are the legal profession and the judiciary not shouting from the rooftops about this.....(I think I know the answer)

Don't see anything "awfull" about it to be honest...listening to some of the roaches that Paddy interviews would boil any taxpayers blood.

I agree with a previous poster when he says that there is a cohort of people who look on welfare as a way of life and have no interest or intention of working.

What shines out for me from these peices is the lazy attitude of the public servants dealing with these people with the courts /remand / bail areas being perticularly shambolic.

Why are the legal profession and the judiciary not shouting from the rooftops about this.....(I think I know the answer)

No interest like self interest is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Amen to that!

'Mr. Soft Landing' is often on with Marian Finucane too :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement