Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Disgusting that schools in 21st century are still pedaling religious nonsense, fairy tales should be kept for home but if people insist on it the parents should pay 100% of the costs with no state funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Great woman, always straight talking, unpopular with some for that of course.

unpopular with most

thats why no one outside of trinity will elect her to anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Its also an oddity that the HSE pays their rent.

The health service should have no role in doing so.
    In doing so its almost impossible to find anyone in that vast organisation to take responsibility for it.

If a rent allowance is to be paid (which it shouldnt be to begin with) It should be paid from the local authority.
    Having better local accountability will help residents focus their concerns.

unpopular with most

Plenty of populist gimps elected as thats what plays best to the masses, someone who speaks the unpopular truth on a load of contemporary issues like Ivana will always find it much more difficult, btw why isn't John Murray on 2fm, inane nonsense. He should take Des Cahill and his drivel with him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I would actually be ad idem with IB on a lot of issues, it's just her personality and mannerisms that I can't stand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

unpopular with most

Yeah especially with Hannifin and the Pro Life brigade drum up hysteria about her robbing babies from people's wombs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'd love to know how Bacik thinks that religion "permeates" throughout the whole school day. Does she think that teachers are sending out subliminal religious messages during maths class? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I'd love to know how Bacik thinks that religion "permeates" throughout the whole school day. Does she think that teachers are sending out subliminal religious messages during maths class? :rolleyes:

I remember from my own school days the indoctrination was all pervasive .. as I remember it we had to say a prayer at the beginning of each class & I'm not talking a million years ago!
    It's really only in recent years that I realise how subtle and incidious the indoctrination was and have made efforts to reeducated myself. For the vast majority of people they accept what they are told as children & very few engage in any study or criticism as adults, it's easier to just go with the flow which of course, suits the organised religions nicely. The last thing most religions want is anybody thinking. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

That's what is intended in primary schools: the curriculum is said to be "integrated".

Callan57 wrote: »
    I remember from my own school days the indoctrination was all pervasive .. as I remember it we had to say a prayer at the beginning of each class & I'm not talking a million years ago!
    It's really only in recent years that I realise how subtle and incidious the indoctrination was and have made efforts to reeducated myself. For the vast majority of people they accept what they are told as children & very few engage in any study or criticism as adults, it's easier to just go with the flow which of course, suits the organised religions nicely. The last thing most religions want is anybody thinking. :confused:

I went to a Christian Brothers' school in the 1980's and we didn't have to say a prayer at the start of each class.
    The fact that 80% of parents didn't even bother to give their opinion online could be interpreted that this isn't really an issue for them. Bacik seems to think that if a majority of the 20% who responded are in favour of removing Catholic doctrine/ethos, then that gives them a mandate to impose the changes. I'm glad Pat Kenny pulled her up on this, not that it made a blind bit of difference to her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

If I have x loaves of bread and x number of fish, with z number of hungry people .. I dont think the bible obeys the laws of algebra, Harry.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I've no problem that my kids (2 of my 3 are in primary right now) are getting what I'd deem a christian ethos being shown them - have consideration for others and treat people with respect. The fact that both schools are Catholic is down to logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I went to a Christian Brothers' school in the 1980's and we didn't have to say a prayer at the start of each class.
    The fact that 80% of parents didn't even bother to give their opinion online could be interpreted that this isn't really an issue for them. Bacik seems to think that if a majority of the 20% who responded are in favour of removing Catholic doctrine/ethos, then that gives them a mandate to impose the changes. I'm glad Pat Kenny pulled her up on this, not that it made a blind bit of difference to her.

I would suggest that what it says is that most parents are apathetic & could care less about religion really, just get the kids through school with as little hassle as possible.

Callan57 wrote: »
    I would suggest that what it says is that most parents are apathetic & could care less about religion really, just get the kids through school with as little hassle as possible.

Or maybe they're just satisfied with the current status quo, i.e. if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Great woman, always straight talking, unpopular with some for that of course.

Hmm... wonder what her next 'cause' will be ?

Ireland driving on the right?

No mention of religion in schools?

gay marriage,adoption, gay rights?

Free heroin,coke, hash,cannabis for all, at taxpayers expense.?

Abortion on demand up to any length of time?

Divorce in a day?

Can't understand why the proletariat don't elect this woman:confused:

Can't understand why the proletariat don't elect this woman:confused:
    Possibly because so many members of the proletariat mount intemperate attacks on her.

Possibly because so many members of the proletariat mount intemperate attacks on her.

Maybe maybe, you could have something there.

She certainly has the knack of rattling the ABC punters cages,I'll grant you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Maybe they do that because she can take time from her three jobs (two of whom are paid for by taxpayers) to come on the radio and talk about a subject that most people obviously couldn't give a toss about.

serfboard wrote: »
    Maybe they do that because she can take time from her three jobs (two of whom are paid for by taxpayers) to come on the radio and talk about a subject that most people obviously couldn't give a toss about.
    I refer you to my previous response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I like Ivana Bacik. She always annoys the right sort of people. :)

• Advertisement

Prayer in the morning, prayer before lunch, prayer after luch, last prayer- and 30-40 mins of RE a day in my time!
    (Ordinary bog standard primary- do they still do that?)

RayM wrote: »
    I like Ivana Bacik. She always annoys the right sort of people. :)

:rolleyes:

The people who actually have to pay for the stuff she advocates?:P

:rolleyes:

The people who actually have to pay for the stuff she advocates?:P

What's wrong with the stuff she advocates? Would removing religious indoctrination from schools be expensive, for instance? You're not making any sense.

RayM wrote: »
    What's wrong with the stuff she advocates? Would removing religious indoctrination from schools be expensive, for instance? You're not making any sense.

Who is going to pay for this stuff.

Conscious I'm straying off topic here, so just reply to that and let's get back on topic.

Conscious I'm straying off topic here, so just reply to that and let's get back on topic.

Maybe she should hand these proposals to her running-mate Gilmore, or perhaps she doesn't realise that Labour happen to be in government at the moment? (I don't think anybody in Labour realises they're in government at the moment)

I don't have any objections to any of those things. I'd be happier, for example, paying towards improved public transport, social housing, childcare provision and things that generally make the country a better place, than paying off the massive gambling debts of people who care about nothing other than making an easy profit.

The levels of hatred some people seem to have towards Ivana Bacik (one of the few Irish politicians who actually stands for something) are truly bizarre, and say far more about them than about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

efb wrote: »
    Prayer in the morning, prayer before lunch, prayer after luch, last prayer- and 30-40 mins of RE a day in my time!
    (Ordinary bog standard primary- do they still do that?)
    What exactly do you expect in a catholic school??

padd b1975 wrote: »
    What exactly do you expect in a school??

I expected to be though the 3 'R's not how great a virgin mary was and sing songs about tax collectors :rolleyes:

padd b1975 wrote: »
    What exactly do you expect in a catholic school??

Therein lies the problem, they shouldn't be "Catholic school" They should be state run secular places of learning not places pushing ghost stories.

• Advertisement

"Real change is needed in environmental, employment, housing, and transport policies to bring about meaningful improvement in people’s lives. As a board member of Friends of the Earth (Ireland), I believe in:

Tougher regulation of industry and of waste systems to combat pollution.
    Stronger incentives to recycle waste, and an end to proposed incineration schemes.
    A major social housing programme for the 60,000 families awaiting Council housing and affordable housing for first-time buyers.

Legal rights and protections for the 150,000 tenants in private rented accommodation.
    Investment in better public transport and a commitment to bicycle-friendly transport policies.
    Enhanced provision for workplace leave, including extended paid parental leave.
    Decent affordable childcare provision is a necessity to give working parents better choices and improved quality of life."

Flipping hell! Its all basic stuff that should be par for the course in any decent, 21st Century democracy, what crazy, pinko, stuff in the page you linked to that I pasted above do you find objectionable? :eek: Is it the legal protection for private tenants or the Stalinist "affordable childcare" ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement