Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Therein lies the problem, they shouldn't be "Catholic school" They should be state run secular places of learning not places pushing ghost stories.

For a self-professed liberal, you seem to be very intolerant of other people's views, unless they tally with your own views........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

"Real change is needed in environmental, employment, housing, and transport policies to bring about meaningful improvement in people’s lives. As a board member of Friends of the Earth (Ireland), I believe in:

Tougher regulation of industry and of waste systems to combat pollution.
    Stronger incentives to recycle waste, and an end to proposed incineration schemes.
    A major social housing programme for the 60,000 families awaiting Council housing and affordable housing for first-time buyers.

Legal rights and protections for the 150,000 tenants in private rented accommodation.
    Investment in better public transport and a commitment to bicycle-friendly transport policies.
    Enhanced provision for workplace leave, including extended paid parental leave.
    Decent affordable childcare provision is a necessity to give working parents better choices and improved quality of life."

Flipping hell! Its all basic stuff that should be par for the course in any decent, 21st Century democracy, what crazy, pinko, stuff in the page you linked to that I pasted above do you find objectionable? :eek: Is it the legal protection for private tenants or the Stalinist "affordable childcare" ?

"basic stuff" as you refer to it for quite a lot of people these days is a job with reasonable prospects.

All the above is highly aspirational and idealistic and is pure 'Mom & Apple Pie' stuff churned out by ,one would have to believe,someone in a position far removed from the reality on the ground.

The reality is how can the State afford to pay for those aspirations and conditions?

Ms.Bacik in my opinion is out of touch with the ordinary electorate whose day to day lives are a struggle to put food on the table and i would doubt if cycle lanes are a pressing priority or incentives for re-cycling with this cohort of the electorate.

Proof of the pudding is her failure to bring the electorate with her at election time.

A sincere and earnest person, no doubt, but not on the same page as the ordinary punter in terms of what the priorities are.

That's the way I see it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Callan57 wrote: »
    I remember from my own school days the indoctrination was all pervasive .. as I remember it we had to say a prayer at the beginning of each lesson
    Callan - I wonder did we attend the same school, lol :D

I attended a secondary school in the 90s which was run by the Sisters of Mercy, we said a 'Hail Mary' at the start of every class (every 40 minutes :eek:) I've asked a question in the Clare Forum to see if this practice still continues. Somehow I doubt it!

In our school, teachers also wore long black gowns like the ones in Hogwarts :D They dispensed with them a few years back so perhaps the prayers went out with the cloaks.

I've a young child attending primary school and even though her school is under the patronage of the Bishop of Killaloe, the school is inclusive, they've children attending from all sorts of different backgrounds and the school always make a point of marking their special days (i.e Chinese New Year or Thanksgiving etc.) I honestly believe that things have changed a lot since our day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Am I the only one who think the media have lost the plot over the garda killing ?

Yes its awfull but its not 9/11

I'm really not sure where pats going with his show on this today as we don't know anything new on it yet besides someone slapping up a 50k reward .

If anything that would seem to imply they're getting no leads .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Callan - I wonder did we attend the same school, lol :D

I attended a secondary school in the 90s which was run by the Sisters of Mercy, we said a 'Hail Mary' at the start of every class (every 40 minutes :eek:) I've asked a question in the Clare Forum to see if this practice still continues. Somehow I doubt it!

In our school, teachers also wore long black gowns like the ones in Hogwarts :D They dispensed with them a few years back so perhaps the prayers went out with the cloaks.

I've a young child attending primary school and even though her school is under the patronage of the Bishop of Killaloe, the school is inclusive, they've children attending from all sorts of different backgrounds and the school always make a point of marking their special days (i.e Chinese New Year or Thanksgiving etc.) I honestly believe that things have changed a lot since our day.

@MrsD007
    No definitely no Black Cloaks where I was, nor did it resemble Hogwarths althought we had a few "spacers" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

If we could harness the hot air out of Eamonn Ryan's gasbag of a gob, we'd have our energy problems solved overnight.
    You can almost hear him screaming "We're still relevant, remember us, the Greens?? Please, please!!"
    Ehh sorry bud, you got into bed with FF and now you're screwed and irrelevant. Oh, and thanks for nothing by giving us a screwed up car tax system. Buh-bye!

Yakuza wrote: »
    If we could harness the hot air out of Eamonn Ryan's gasbag of a gob, we'd have our energy problems solved overnight.
    You can almost hear him screaming "We're still relevant, remember us, the Greens?? Please, please!!"
    Ehh sorry bud, you got into bed with FF and now you're screwed and irrelevant. Oh, and thanks for nothing by giving us a screwed up car tax system. Buh-bye!

The name dropping was embarassing .. Obama, The Chinese please :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"There's two thousand guards here Pat"...

As Pat tries to protect himself from the armed gang breaking in to his studio..

"There's two thousand guards here Pat"...

As Pat tries to protect himself from the armed gang breaking in to his studio..

couldnt help thinking right now theives around the country are going "pay day ! "

:D

i mean if its right thats a full sixth of the force up there.

Some of them might be off duty anyway. AFAIK at any given time, only about 1/3 -1/2 of the force is active given the nature of their duty rosters / shift work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Some of them might be off duty anyway. AFAIK at any given time, only about 1/3 -1/2 of the force is active given the nature of their duty rosters / shift work.
    On average, fewer than 25% of the force are active at one time. They work about 42 hours per week: that's a quarter of the week; and then you have to allow something for those on holidays or on sick leave.

Fair enough, I thought more might be on during "office hours" than the night shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Fair enough, I thought more might be on during "office hours" than the night shift.
    Will I did say "on average". Yes, I agree that a bigger proportion might be on duty during office hours, but I can't imagine it rising as high as even one-third of the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Lapin wrote: »
    Anyone catch the name of these estates in Ennis ?

Good follow up on the coverage of this story on PKS going on in the Clare forum now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82948197#post82948197

Sadly, a growing nationwide phenomenon which our national broadcaster prefers to tip-toe around rather than confront head-on.

In the obvious interests of not offending certain self-styled 'oppressed' people no doubt. :mad:

Jays pat in full on shill mode for the banks. Why isn't he asking why people are now serving banks instead of the other way around ?

A simple solution is issue new banking licences and let the customer decide if they want to embrace all this new tech .

2 fecking chances of that though.

If all the main banks try to go ebanking just WATCH the flood of cash out of the banks by old people and the subsequent rise in burglaries that'll follow .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

bleedin hell whats the story with this hillybilly redneck noise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

My ears, my beautiful ears aaagh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

was that clown on with pat earlier about the property tax minister brian hayes? who ever he was thinks ethics should be used by the home owners but not the government or their agents so they can screw the ethical home owners and tax payers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

neris wrote: »
    was that clown on with pat earlier about the property tax minister brian hayes? who ever he was thinks ethics should be used by the home owners but not the government or their agents so they can screw the ethical home owners and tax payers

One of them was a chartered surveyor, the other was a tax accountant. Typical self-serving crap.
    I wonder if Pat is a landlord? He had a sly dig at the Liveline listeners who like to have a go at the landlords in this country.

Pat does indeed own investment property. He owns a suite in a hotel down the country that's in a takeover situation where he looks to be wiped and facing rates to boot.

Was in the news recently. He put a million in if the reports are accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Pat does indeed own investment property. He owns a suite in a hotel down the country that's in a takeover situation where he looks to be wiped and facing rates to boot.

Was in the news recently. He put a million in if the reports are accurate.

Hasn't tried to comandeer next door's balcony or the corridor outside (yet) by any chance has he? ;)

Translation for what this guy is saying "will you crims ever hand up the lads that shot the gard. We can't get em without your help "

With a mad its bad for business vibe thrown in .

Bizarre stuff altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

This guy is giving me a headache, pity his poor wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh god. SO. MANY. CLICHES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

Andrew Clover? He was painful.

I read that article this past Sunday, and he was quoting verbatim from it. Just shoehorning great tracts from it into the conversation!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Pat on this morning taking about a Richard the third and having a Jekyll and Hyde with a Richard the third.

This Magdalene stuff is harrowing; what's most disgusting is the state collusion (blind eyes turned, the Gardaí facilitating the transport of kids from airport to these slave pits laundries). The obsequiousness shown the church by the state and state institutions at the time really makes me wretch. How could this have been left to perpetuate for so long?

It's, what, 15 years since the first documentary that broke this story was shown, and we're still dragging our heels in getting to the bottom of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭softy2012

Heart breaking stuff , another shame for Irleland .

disgraceful.

softy2012 wrote: »
    Heart breaking stuff , another shame for Irleland .

disgraceful.

Absolutely .... and not a snowballs chance in hell of an apology, much less recompense from the so-called Christian organisations.
    Shame! Shame! Shame .... I wonder how these nuns feel in their well cossetted old age paid for by slave labour and the tears of thousands of women & children ... They make me sick every last one of them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

How could this have been left to perpetuate for so long?

Because collectively Irish society does not demand change.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement