Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I hope there's never a prohibition on crankiness cos Gay Mitchell would be out of a job..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

WTF is it with gay Mitchell and death ?

Blokes obsessed .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Oh Jesus , MLOD alert !

I'm off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

MLOD .... I gone :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I fúcking hope MLOD pays for these jollies herself. Seaweed baths me ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

WTF is it with gay Mitchell and death ?

Blokes obsessed .

I never knew Gay was so closely related to Joe Duffy.

You learn something new every day! ;)

AFAIK, Mitchell is a first cousin of The Penguin, who might have, err, let's just say a different opinion on drugs to that of Gay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

How anyone can continue to follow the Catholic Church is beyond me.

People will say there are good priests etc...

If they really had any shread of consciousness they would resign en masse in protest at the corruption of their organisation.

This might - just might- make the Vatican sit up and take notice. Because its obvious that as things stand, Rome doesn't give a toss for the victims of the launderies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Lapin wrote: »
    How anyone can continue to follow the Catholic Church is beyond me.

People will say there are good priests etc...

If they really had any shread of consciousness they would resign en masse in protest at the corruption of their organisation.

This might - just might- make the Vatican sit up and take notice. Because its obvious that as things stand, Rome doesn't give a toss for the victims of the launderies.

I never understood why these 'good men' don't just take the buildings back (what are they gonna do..invade?) and form their own independent church.
    We can self fund and run one of the best in-house sporting organisations in the world...why not our own church?
    The bible is well out of copyright too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

In my anger this morning, I got to thinking about an organisation using using slave labour and running concentration camps declared to be an illegal organisation, due to it's activities. The other thing is the way our state was complicit in the internment of the women, and (Gov't etc) denied it to the last.

• Advertisement

aloyisious wrote: »
    In my anger this morning, I got to thinking about an organisation using using slave labour and running concentration camps declared to be an illegal organisation, due to it's activities.

ah hang on! those guys used to go around dressed in black uniforms, using informers and strict laws to enforce their policies upon the general population, often parading and marching about the place, forcing kids to dress up and take part in bizarre initiation ceremonies while their leaders would stand in high places garishly attired and telling everyone how to think, act and live..........whereas the nazis....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Yakuza wrote: »
    This Magdalene stuff is harrowing; what's most disgusting is the state collusion (blind eyes turned, the Gardaí facilitating the transport of kids from airport to these slave pits laundries). The obsequiousness shown the church by the state and state institutions at the time really makes me wretch. How could this have been left to perpetuate for so long?

It's, what, 15 years since the first documentary that broke this story was shown, and we're still dragging our heels in getting to the bottom of it.
    softy2012 wrote: »
    Heart breaking stuff , another shame for Irleland .

disgraceful.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Absolutely .... and not a snowballs chance in hell of an apology, much less recompense from the so-called Christian organisations.
    Shame! Shame! Shame .... I wonder how these nuns feel in their well cossetted old age paid for by slave labour and the tears of thousands of women & children ... They make me sick every last one of them :mad:

What people must realise is that this stuff originated in TOTALLY different times.

Totally different outlooks,mores, customs and society.

Not for a second condoning it but a little common sense folks.

History will show a lot of stuff that has not place in today's society.

Different times.

Hope they get what they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

europa11 wrote: »
    ah hang on! those guys used to go around dressed in black uniforms, using informers and strict laws to enforce their policies upon the general population, often parading and marching about the place, forcing kids to dress up and take part in bizarre initiation ceremonies while their leaders would stand in high places garishly attired and telling everyone how to think, act and live..........whereas the nazis....

Confirmation of my fears

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

What people must realise is that this stuff originated in TOTALLY different times.

Totally different outlooks,mores, customs and society.

Not for a second condoning it but a little common sense folks.

History will show a lot of stuff that has not place in today's society.

Different times.

Hope they get what they are looking for.

Oh Dear God ... they're still with us :mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Maybe instead of putting in mad emoticons you might make some kind of coherent point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Make your point pilgrim...the poster has a valid point !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Howlin emoting about Magdalene scandal instead of getting off his ass, doing his job and trimming the incomes of the upper echelon fat cats in public service and using the savings to compensate these poor people. Hypocritical dick head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Listening to Howlin he seems to have every excuse in the world for why he has failed to deliver any of the savings he was supposed to in his half of the finance job. He is actually defending quangos as absolutely essential and needing more money! It's like listening to Fianna Fail in the bad old days.

And his only justification for diverting money to Wexford hospital. Waterford is too far away for the people of Wexford. He had no decent answer when challenged on the likes of Donegal and Roscommon people being expected to travel to Galway.

Gobsh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I wonder who elected him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Once again an interesting discussion on PK is interrupted by Des Cahill's meandering gibberish. Will they PLEASE dump this slot? It's not as if there's not enough sports coverage available!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what a story

How the fúck can you arrest and sentence a BABY for begging? What the fúck????? Where were her parents?
    That poor woman got no justice from practically the start of her life - my blood is boiling here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Howlin was on the ball this morning. Good performance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

zzzzzzzzz, this lad objects to soooooo much

Dirigent wrote: »
    Once again an interesting discussion on PK is interrupted by Des Cahill's meandering gibberish. Will they PLEASE dump this slot? It's not as if there's not enough sports coverage available!

Meant to post earlier about that.

Todays' Dessie-does-sports-slot at 11 was led by the fascinating story that Ryan Giggs of Manchester United showed a DVD dramatisation of the Munich air-crash to "foreign'" players on the ManYoo payroll who may not be aware of the tragedy that happened 55 years ago :eek:

Cahill wasted at least 5 minutes yapping about this non-story.

I'm not anti-sport but tbh, there's no need for this worthless interruption halfway through the programme and more often than not it also interrupts an interesting discussion about something relevant and topical. People who are interested in sport usualy have ample opportunity to grab the headlines on earlier programmes or through the morning papers and (word has it) that curious new-fangled yoke called the Internet which is being used to source up-to-date, as it happens, events and news from the wide world of sport while they're at their desks or checking their phones!

Des, take a break, go home for a few hours will you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Meant to post earlier about that.

Todays' Dessie-does-sports-slot at 11 was led by the fascinating story that Ryan Giggs of Manchester United showed a DVD dramatisation of the Munich air-crash to "foreign'" players on the ManYoo payroll who may not be aware of the tragedy that happened 55 years ago :eek:

Cahill wasted at least 5 minutes yapping about this non-story.

I'm not anti-sport but tbh, there's no need for this worthless interruption halfway through the programme and more often than not it also interrupts an interesting discussion about something relevant and topical. People who are interested in sport usualy have ample opportunity to grab the headlines on earlier programmes or through the morning papers and (word has it) that curious new-fangled yoke called the Internet which is being used to source up-to-date, as it happens, events and news from the wide world of sport while they're at their desks or checking their phones!

Des, take a break, go home for a few hours will you.

Absolutely agree, as absurd as having a mandatory daily interlude of music or film news during the discussion of what is sometimes really important issues, how the hell is sports more important than either of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I like catching up on the latest sports news after the 11 o'clock news. It's the only sports segment on Radio One between the finish of Morning Ireland and the tail end of the News At One, and it rarely goes beyond a few minutes. Pat seems to think he's the intellectual superior of Des Cahill, but Des always seems to get one over on him, such as that Charlotte Church joke. Good man Des!

Absolutely agree, as absurd as having a mandatory daily interlude of music or film news during the discussion of what is sometimes really important issues, how the hell is sports more important than either of those?

Keeping these gasbags in a job by making them indispensible is more important than pressing national issues - it's the RTE in-club, remember! I'd go so far to say as the 11:00 headlines could be dispensed with as well, giving PK the ability to continue a conversation without these interuptions. There are plenty of sources of information out there now, headlines on the hour or half-hour are fast becoming an anachronism.
    I do acknowledge that there is still a cohort of R1 listeners that mighn't be as tuned in (forgive the pun) to these other ways of getting information as it happens, but I'd conjecture that it is a dwindling minority. As a compromise to this cohort, why not make the headlines time flexible so that he can wrap up a conversation / piece without having to break it, wait 5-10 minutes and pick up the conversation again. Does something really have to be repeated at 11:00 that was said at 10:00 and will be repeated again at 12:00. The chances are that if news does break during the PK show, they'll cover it anyway.
    I like catching up on the latest sports news after the 11 o'clock news. It's the only sports segment on Radio One between the finish of Morning Ireland and the tail end of the News At One, and it rarely goes beyond a few minutes. Pat seems to think he's the intellectual superior of Des Cahill, but Des always seems to get one over on him, such as that Charlotte Church joke. Good man Des!
    If there has to be sports segment, can they at least stop the jibber jabber between PK and DC - it's just that such forced joviality between barbed comments sounds plain awkward and creepy.

But how much sporting activity happens between 8:30 and 1:40 on any given weekday?.

A few exceptions aside, the Olympics, a World Cup/major event with Irish participation taking place in another time-zone of general public interest would also warrant some time on PK. Not neccesarily dead-on the button after 11:00 news though.

Another exception for European Cup draws - something Pat could easily relay over the air in a few minutes.

Otherwise it's just bar-stool banter, and as Yakuza rightly observed, it's often forced humour (imagine PK is tough work in that regard but can only judge him by his on-screen persona, so apologies if he's the life-and-soul of any pub he frequents ;)).

But granted I'll give you that one Harry, the Charlotte Church gag was classic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

But granted I'll give you that one Harry, the Charlotte Church gag was classic! :D

What was the gag?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement