Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City - Blue Moon Rising

• 08-09-2010 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

Manchester City show extent of their grand plans with move into movies

The club has spent big again by making Blue Moon Rising, a documentary detailing their first season under Sheikh Mansour

Manchester City's domination-complex is not, it appears, restricted to matters on the pitch. Loaded with Sheikh Mansour's billions, the club now not only wants to win trophies at home and abroad but also prove a success at the box-office. Their move into the movie world comes with the release of Blue Moon Rising, a behind-the scenes documentary that details City's first season under Abu Dhabi control and contains interviews with players, staff, fans and a certain guitarist from Oasis.

It is easy to mock the idea of a football-related film but if the exclusive trailer for Blue Moon Rising is anything to go by, this latest attempt has the potential to be rather good; more Damned United than When Saturday Comes.

That is no huge surprise given the club drafted in the Bafta-winning director Stewart Sugg and experienced producers Endemol (they of Big Brother notoriety) to make BMR. The plan at first was to release it for TV, but City being City, the ambitions got grander and backed by Buena Vista International, it is now scheduled to be distributed as a full-on movie. It will initially be shown at selected cinemas from 17 September.

"Blue Moon Rising reinforces Manchester City's standing as the most fascinating story in the world of football," said the club's marketing manager David Pullan. "We wanted to give football fans around the world a unique insight into the club and its future by getting them close to the action in this unique year.

"It will be a lasting testimony to one of the most exciting years in Manchester City's history."

There is no doubt that the 2009/10 season, City's first full campaign under the ownership of Sheikh Mansour, contained enough drama for Sugg to get stuck into, from the lavish signings of of Carloz Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor in the summer to the sacking of Mark Hughes and the appointment of Robert Mancini as his replacement at the turn of the year. Then there were the games, most notably the derbies with United in the league and Carling Cup and the 4-2 win at Chelsea in February.

The access Sugg was granted in making BMR is compelling, with all the leading figures (and Garry Cook) interviewed. As the trailer shows, the director was also able to enter the dressing room as City's hopes of securing a Champions League place slowly disintegrated.

Perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of the film, however, is the views of the supporters. Noel Gallagher is heavily featured, as are a clutch of less well-known fans who reveal just how remarkable it is to follow a club that has gone suddenly from being renowned for decades of under-achievement to finding itself on the cusp of major success.

Their loyalty is obvious if not rather overblown. Take Adam White for instance who, as he says in the film, has voted Conservative all his life simply because their official colour is blue.

Blue Moon Rising is being premiered at The Printworks in Manchester this Thursday. Mancini and his full City squad are expected to attend with a blue carpet also booked for the occasion. Time will tell if the film they see, like the club's current ownership, is a lasting hit or an expensive flop.
    Blue Moon Rising - Guardian

What's everyone's opinion on this? I think it's hilarious. Personally I think it will fit right in with the rest of Endemol's production line.

I don't think Man City is the most fascinating story in football history.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Le King wrote: »

Blue Moon Rising - Guardian

What's everyone's opinion on this? I think it's hilarious. Personally I think it will fit right in with the rest of Endemol's production line.

I don't think Man City is the most fascinating story in football history.

Maybe not, but what they have transformed into is interesting and deserves its own mention and merit in there history, its gonna be a film or DVD mainly seen by fans of the club.

Also the fact there bloody loaded means they can do nearly whatever they want. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

i wonder how it ends :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LOL tbh - the BB producers and Man City - a match made in heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Saw the trailers a few months back and it's all a bit meh. I'll watch it once maybe but it just smacks of being pretentious and we should really at least have won something before making a poxy movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Looks crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

arriviste

ar·ri·viste (-r-vst)
    n.
    1. A person who has recently attained high position or great power but not general acceptance or respect; an upstart.
    2. A social climber; a bounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    i wonder how it ends :D
    Bankruptcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tis no "The treble"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Its rubbish to be honest, they spent two years just buying every player who has 5 stars in football manager and then decided if they could fit them into their team or not. Absolute joke of a club. The film should be a comedy if anything. Leading star will be Will Ferrell playing Mark Hughes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Bankruptcy.

steven ireland parading around com in a pink sarong with his range rover in the background wearing a villa top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Is that for real? Talk about cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

LOL! Sure they havent even done anything besides buy a load of players! Win the champs league then make a film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

"Funniest comedy of the year!"

- Nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Take Adam White for instance who, as he says in the film, has voted Conservative all his life simply because their official colour is blue.

This made me laugh until I remembered I actually got married in Sky blue!!!:D

Advertisement