Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy phone cable to move Broadband modem?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi all, I have installed eircom wireless broadband (netopia modem) but basically i need to move the modem to a central location in the house as the signal is poor(bos currently located a front door)

So basically Im wondering where in Wexford (wexford town preferably) could I buy approx 50m of phone cable with the necessary connections to go into my wall and modem?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Any good DIY store will supply the necessary bits and pieces e.g. Woodies,
    Dublin Providers, C+D Providers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Turkleton wrote: »
    50m of phone cable
    From my brief support role in Eircom dial-up support, let me say that your speed should drop a bit. A homeplug not suit you better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Turkleton

Cheers for the replies, im probably over exagerating slightly,ill have to measure it out but hopefully I could get away with 30m ( Im ****e at judging measurements in my head)

What amount of cable do you think would be the max before I experience a drop? ie anything less than x amount should be fine?

Wall plug? I think I was reading about them but couldnt quite grab the concept.. from what I gathered I just plug one end in where I have the modem and another in the other end of house? Id probably have to wire in a new plug by the phoneline to do that so it probably would be a last resort.

Is phone cable expensive or indeed how much or where can you get these wall plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Question: the router is powered... where is that plugged into?

Have these myself: http://www.dabs.ie/products/devolo-dlan-highspeed-ii-homeplug-kit--twin-pack--85mbps-62Z7.html + a Devolo wireless point.

But for an extra 12 euro, you could get these: http://www.dabs.ie/products/devolo-dlan-200-av-plus-se-ii-kit-black-edition-200mbps-with-pass-through-74P6.html

The 2nd pair would suit you, as you could plug the router into the homeplug, and the homeplug into the wall. You could then plug the other one where you want the wireless point to be.

The homeplug will connect via your electrical wires. VERY handy.

=-=

Seems the max is 30m, so you may get away with it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Turkleton wrote: »
    Hi all, I have installed eircom wireless broadband (netopia modem) but basically i need to move the modem to a central location in the house as the signal is poor(bos currently located a front door)

So basically Im wondering where in Wexford (wexford town preferably) could I buy approx 50m of phone cable with the necessary connections to go into my wall and modem?

Thanks.

Stay away from the DIY hardware stores go directly to the Suppliers

Wexford trade electric
    Pinewood Business Park
    Whitemill Industrial Estate, Wexford, Co. Wexford
    053 914 7150

or

Tom Dunne electrical supplies
    Unit 2 H
    Wexford, Co Wexford
    Ireland
    tel: +353 5324477

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

to be honest pal your better off getting a longer ethernet cable rather than a longer phone cable...this is the mistake most people make....

if your not going for wireless points etc and want a cabled connection forget about lengthening the phone cable... keep the phone cable short as possible and leave it next to the telephone point... if you need somthing longer buy an ethernet cable... you can get them as long as up to 100metres and it will not lose quality compared with your phone cable which will lose signal every metre longer you go ...

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

to be honest pal your better off getting a longer ethernet cable rather than a longer phone cable...this is the mistake most people make....

if your not going for wireless points etc and want a cabled connection forget about lengthening the phone cable... keep the phone cable short as possible and leave it next to the telephone point... if you need somthing longer buy an ethernet cable... you can get them as long as up to 100metres and it will not lose quality compared with your phone cable which will lose signal every metre longer you go ...

hope this helps.

Advertisement