Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How excited are you about all this motion control business?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

How bothered are you about Kinect and Move. Will you be buying into it at release, will you wait to see what the elders of the internet say about it, or like me, are you not interested in the slightest and happy to let it pass you by?

I listen to a good few gaming podcasts and to be honest, Im sick to death of hearing about motion control. I cant see it being anything other than Sony and Microsoft's attempt at the wii, except with the added horsepower of their respective consoles. Also when I want to sit down to a gaming session after a long day, I want to do just that. Sit down!

If games come out which make genuinely ground breaking use of motion control to such an extend they almost make a controller redundant, then I will pay attention.

How exicted are you about all this motion control business? 51 votes

Yes, Im excited. it could be life changing. Day one for me
    0% 0 votes
    Fairly interested. If it turns out to be good, I may get into it
    3% 2 votes
    Not really bothered. Id rather focus on the games themselves
    33% 17 votes
    Couldnt give a shíte!
    62% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Couldn't give a ****e to be quite honest. It's all a bit too gimmicky for my taste and a lot of it looks fairly stupid. Why would you want to pretend you're running at the Olympics, throwing a javelin or playing football? Go outside and do it all yourself for God's sake!

I'll take a controller or a keyboard and mouse in my hands over that any day of the week. It seems like it's aimed towards casuals more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Keyboard and mouse is all you ever need. I find nothing appealling about having to wave my arms around like a spastic in order to play a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

*shrugs*
    Neither Move nor Kinect yet have a killer app for me (although Dance Central is close... *bites lip*), so I'm not excited yet. I'm sure something will come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I am interested in it but more so for what it's potential in other aspects of life could be. The games industry is good at pioneering technologies that we have never seen before but i don't think even the hardware developers understand the potential their technology offers.

When i was in my final year in college, I spoke to someone using the Wii Motion controller to develop a system to help stroke vitcims. Its that kind of ingenuity that amazes me and why I think every tech advancement made in the games industry should be noted

• Registered Users Posts: 33,782 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If I wanted a Wii, I'd buy a Wii.

I'll buy any controller or gimmicky thing if I need it to play a game I really want to play, but nothing shown so far has interested me in it at all. Flipping through menus by waving my hand in front of the screen looks fun for all about 4 seconds. But if "You can move the menu with your hand" is supposed to be a major selling point, then no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Been there, done that, bought the wii-shirt. No interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

I think it'd be good with RPG style games (swords and that) or shooters. The games they are used with would have to be good to peak my interest. If like other people said it's all throwin javellins, bowlin and that type o ****e, than nah, i wouldnt be arsed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Been there, done that, bought the wii-shirt. No interest.

+1

also as a home owner with lampshades etc in my house jumping around flailing my arms about smashing my fittings and looking like a total spas is never gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 34,999 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bollocks to motion controlled gaming. I want a 3DS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Glorified EyeToys...remember that piece of crap ??

The only fun I ever had was seein some kid playing it in GAME....I stood behind him..hitting everything before he did...it was fun for about 3 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've no real interest in the Move as it's just a gimmick to get more casual gamers to play the games. Sony claim it'll revolutionise hard core gaming, but I can picture most people keeing it in a drawer for 11 months of the year.

Kinect is a little more interesting because of it's possibilities. But where games are involved I can't see it being much use to me. Although, it will let me pretend to be Horatio from CSI, so that pretty much makes it a must have for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

humanji wrote: »
    I've no real interest in the Move as it's just a gimmick to get more casual gamers to play the games. Sony claim it'll revolutionise hard core gaming, but I can picture most people keeing it in a drawer for 11 months of the year.

Kinect is a little more interesting because of it's possibilities. But where games are involved I can't see it being much use to me. Although, it will let me pretend to be Horatio from CSI, so that pretty much makes it a must have for me!

Yod don't need a new fangled controller bullsh1t for that. All you gotta do to be Horatio Caine is say something irrelevant put on a pair of sun glasses, pout then leave the room and its occupants will be like WOW was that the real Horatio Caine from C.S.I :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love my Wii but it's not because of motion control it's because of the games on it and most of those games that I love use a traditional control scheme or one that could easily have been replaced by one. Maybe we'll see if implemented better in the next round of consoles which will all have motion control because I can see the Sony and MS efforts being flops and Nintendo are the only ones really trying with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I don't like it. I mean the PS3 and 360 ones. It seems like a gimmick and nothing more.

I have all 3 consoles and the Wii was built on motion control. But it was just that. The 360 and PS3 are trying to take it to the next level and are gonna fail I think.

I have Zelda TP on the gamecube and I didn't like it. Got it on the Wii and loved it. It was fun swinging the wii-mote like a sword. But I'll be damned if I'm going to stand up for several hours just to play a game. So that 360 gimmick is not for me.

The PS3 one on the other hand... it looks sort of interesting but I can't help thinking that Sony is just annoyed that Nintendo succeded with the Wii and they failed with the eye-toy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never had to stand up to play Wii games, in fact I usually play them lying on my bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Until the computer can be directly connected to my brain and make me think im in a matrix like thing my good old fashioned keyboard will do fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I'll be picking up the kinect + 250gb S bundle on launch.

No interest in the Move. The line up looks very poor, with extremely poor 3rd party support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Instead of updating to the latest tech they add gadgets and stupid gimmicky toys to milk as much as they can out of old tech. PS2 had motion in 2004

Wake me up when the 3D and holographic shít arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

I'm looking forward to Move.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Had a Wii a couple of years ago, quickly got bored of it and sold it. I have absolutely zero interest in a rip-off of it from Sony or a fancy Eye Toy from Microsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

o1s1n wrote: »
    Bollocks to motion controlled gaming. I want a 3DS!

took the words out of my mouth mate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Not bothered. Didn't think the Wii was all that and still feel that Developers don't know how to use it. Instead, we get Mini-games 425!

In a way, things could be done well - be able to look around corners, blindfire properly, etc...But it won't be!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

In fairness, option 4 on the poll could be applied to every single poll made about anything at all, that you ask Irish people to vote on, and come out top everytime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

But, but but but...
    The one thing that did excite me at one stage was the control unit for PC's that let you control stuff (including games) with your brain via just "thinking" of what you wanted to do.
    I never had the disposable income to get one myself, well actually I did order one at one stage but overclockers messed up my order and I never bothered after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The Move/Kinect aren't being made with the best intentions.Giving us crap like Kinectimals & Eyepet or Wii Sport ripoffs isn't enough to make people want to play the likes of Killzone 3 on Move instead of Dualshock 3.The launch line-ups for both are quite embarrasing not one great game but I have to say Child of Eden is the way to go a game much better in motion than it could ever be with Analogue Sticks. Point & Click games along with RTS games are also genres that should get a reboot with these devices. Squad based shooters that require Sign making or using it to do things more interactive than pressing A/X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Playing Metroid Other M recently has made me remember just how much I ****ing HATE motion controls.
    I like to play games from the comfort of my own couch, I like to have my laptop open on the coffee table while I do this... I don't want to have to clear or even move aside the coffee table every bloody time I want to play a game:mad:
    Kinekt and Move are both overpriced gimmicks which I'm very unlikely to buy.
    Kinekt is obviously the more interesting of the two, but still needs a killer app before I'd consider parting with my hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Software sells hardware, so unless an awesome game comes out on either the Kinect or the Move that you HAVE to have the motion add-on to play, I won't be buying either of them. With a €200+ price tag, I'm sure a lot of other people share this sentiment.

Hell I wouldn't have bought the Wii remotes if they were released later as a separate add-on, but since they were the default bundled controller I had no problem using them.

I still hook up my trusty Gamecube controllers whenever I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

rizzla wrote: »
    No interest in the Move. The line up looks very poor, with extremely poor 3rd party support.
    You sure about that? List of Kinect games -v- List of PS Move games. The Move has better third party and first party support it would seem, although Microsoft are apparently announcing more games at TGS. That list doesn't include all the games rumoured for either platform, e.g. Dead Space 2 and Child of Eden for Move, so maybe you're aware of more rumoured games for Kinect? I must admit I haven't been following it too closely.
    Software sells hardware, so unless an awesome game comes out on either the Kinect or the Move that you HAVE to have the motion add-on to play, I won't be buying either of them. With a €200+ price tag, I'm sure a lot of other people share this sentiment.
    I completely agree with this, which is why I think I'll wait until Time Crisis Razing Storm is out to get the PS Move. However it hardly costs €200+ for the Move or Kinect. The Move is what, €60 RRP for the controller and camera bundle? Plus most Move only games are also being released at a lower RRP than 'regular' PS3 games. Kinect costs €150, so I don't know how you arrive at a figure of €200+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

GothPunk wrote: »
    The Move is what, €60 RRP for the controller and camera bundle? Plus most Move only games are also being released at a lower RRP than 'regular' PS3 games. Kinect costs €150, so I don't know how you arrive at a figure of €200+.

From talking to stores, I was given the impression there WAS no controller + camera bundle on the Move (but the prices they told me was WELL over €60).

Also I forget Sony's names for them, but some games need the remote and nunchuk, and some games need 2 remotes (for one player).

So to play all 1 player games, adding up a camera, 2 remotes and one nunchuk, the price was well over €200, which a lot of managers said "At that price, you could buy a Wii or Xbox".

Advertisement