Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How excited are you about all this motion control business?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most of those PS Move games are just normal games with tacted on controls which the Wii has proved don't add anything over what a normal controller can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

From talking to stores, I was given the impression there WAS no controller + camera bundle on the Move (but the prices they told me was WELL over €60).

Also I forget Sony's names for them, but some games need the remote and nunchuk, and some games need 2 remotes (for one player).

So to play all 1 player games, adding up a camera, 2 remotes and one nunchuk, the price was well over €200, which a lot of managers said "At that price, you could buy a Wii or Xbox".
    You don't need the nunchuck though, you can use a regular Dualshock 3 - although holding it in one hand could be uncomfortable I guess. Besides, even going with the RRP, with the camera + controller bundle at €60, standalone Move controller at €40 and the Nunchuck at €30 you get a total of €130. The only game which requires the use of two controllers announced so far is The Fight: Lights Out. Sure Sports Champions has a 2 controller mode, but you can play all the games in that with one controller, although I would guess it would be more fun with two?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Most of those PS Move games are just normal games with tacted on controls which the Wii has proved don't add anything over what a normal controller can do.
    Many reviewers, including our own Helix, have said that the Move controls for Socom 4 are an improvement over the Dualshock, and I'm inclined to believe them - anything closer to a mouse is going to be better for shooters - assuming it's implemented well anyway, like the Wii shooters that use custom bounding boxes etc. This goes the same for RTS games, like R.U.S.E. and Under Siege. It's likely using the Move to make levels in LittleBigPlanet 2 will be an improvement over the Dualshock as well, as you can just place objects in 3D space instead of moving them 5 clicks left, one click in, 2 clicks up etc.

I know you like hyperbole Retr0 but I don't think what you say is true. You can't do augmented reality games like Start the Party and TV Superstars on the Wii or with a regular controller; whether we'd be interested in such games is another question however. Echochrome II and Beat Sketchers are games that are perfectly suited to motion controls above anything else. The only launch game that I can think fits what you're talking about is Kung Fu Rider, or perhaps the patched version of Resident Evil 5?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem I see with Move is that only a very small percentage of PS3 owners are going to own it. Third parties aren't going to make games that really use the move controller, budgets these days are too tight and they aren't going to make high budget games for such a limited audience. The controls will just be tacted on to traditional control schemes. First party games will be the only ones that I see doing anything special and I see them dying out just like with the eyetoy. Maybe I'll be proved wrong and perhaps including move with every new PS3 will tip the balance like it did with dual shock becoming standard but I've had my wii for a long time and I love it, there's greatgames on it but even I'd be hard pressed to say motion control adds anything or is even essential to the vast majority of it's best games. Of all those move only games listed I'm not interested in any of them except maybe ape escape. I'm sorry for being sceptical but the whole move and kinetic thing smacks of a Mega CD/32X disaster with the companies jumping on the bandwagon that they don't need to jump on since they've missed it already and haven't really thought it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I'm sorry for being sceptical...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

The controls for The Conduit show that motion controls for FPS can be intuitive and fun (game is pants tho). The only issue is when motion controlled gamers go up against joypads with autoaim, tho I've heard MAG doesn't use autoaim at all (I mostly play sniper so haven't noticed either way).

• Advertisement

I'm not saying that it doesn't work with FPS games, it works really well but it's still no where near as good as a keyboard and mouse. Turning speed is still limited and aiming is still not as accurate as keyboard and mouse. It really is only a marginal step up in control I feel. You can claim that pointing at the screen is more immersive but it really isn't unless you are aiming down sights instead of moving a cursor around the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Still, the more I see, the more fun Dance Central looks.

rig1ef.jpg
    And
    90oe90.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I chose #3; not really bothered. I'd be lying if i wasn't interested in a truly great motion control Star Wars game. But i'm not a fan of iffy motion controls when a game-pad would be much more precise. I got burnt buying Wii Motion Plus which just collects dust so i will not be buying Move or Kinect anytime soon, until they have multiple killer apps and the device costs less than 50 euros.

Dance Central looks to be Move's heavy hitter, but i'm not impressed that you can't see yourself dancing during the game, it's actually like a motion-sensor version of DDR; it just tells you where you're going wrong, the avatars don't mimic your actual movements, which i find a bit disappointing. Even if you were one of the backup dancers it'd be better. So really it's just like DDR or Guitar Hero....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Agricola wrote: »
    How bothered are you about Kinect and Move. Will you be buying into it at release, will you wait to see what the elders of the internet say about it, or like me, are you not interested in the slightest and happy to let it pass you by?

I listen to a good few gaming podcasts and to be honest, Im sick to death of hearing about motion control. I cant see it being anything other than Sony and Microsoft's attempt at the wii, except with the added horsepower of their respective consoles. Also when I want to sit down to a gaming session after a long day, I want to do just that. Sit down!

If games come out which make genuinely ground breaking use of motion control to such an extend they almost make a controller redundant, then I will pay attention.

Couldn't be arsed. My Wii is gathering dust, and not for lack of quality titles, but for my own laziness. When I kick back with a game, the last thing I want is any movement above the wrist

Also a worrying indicator - when the gimmick peripherals emerge (usually toward the end of a consoles life), the shovelware starts to saturate the shelves

The joypad needs no improvement, never has. The only gimmicky peripheral I ever enjoyed was the nintendo scope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

To be honest, it doesn't bother me even a little bit. I played a bit of Eye Toy a few years ago. When there were a few mates and a few beers involved it proved to be good fun, without them though, not so much. This whole Kinect scene looks very similar to me. I know it's much more advanced and so on, but it just doesn't catch my interest as a gamer. I don't think I'd like to have to jump around my sitting room pretending to swing a light saber just to advance through a game. I like to relax when gaming. Kick back, and let my thumbs to the work, just like I've been doing forever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement