Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Turkey

Options
  • 08-09-2010 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey,

Weird one but I am having christmas dinner this Saturday and I need to get a turkey, anyone know where I can get one?

Also, anyone know how to cook it? :o Novice cook with an electric oven (real, not a toy one)

Thanks!

Mike

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, your bog standard chicken would probably take 90 mins to 2 hours at 180C, depending on the weight and so forth. I've not cooked a turkey myself, but the method should be similar, I would hope. The instructions will say X mins per kilo (or lbs) so you can work it out from there and there's usually an extra 30 mins (or more) thrown in. On top of that, you may have to baste it every so often so that it doesn't dry out whilst cooking.

You may have to do a bit of work to prepare the turkey, removing the giblets, etc.

This link might help.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/seasonsandcelebrations/winter/saferchristmaseating/

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Nigella does a good turkey recipe. The brine prevents the bird from drying out while roasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I may be wrong but I think Aldi have turkeys all year round, frozen mind you but would be fine. I'm sure if you asked a butcher they might be able to source one for you.

As for cooking one, I've done loads but every single time I do I have to get out my Delia complete cookery course recipe. It's never let me down yet as I'm always nervous when doing turkey. Her recipe has never given anything but moist turkey. My sister swears by the brined turkey recipe from Nigella but its probably more suited to a fresh turkey imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Mike, you're a nice man, but strange.

Happy Christmas all the same.

Advertisement