Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh Gourd....it exploded

Options
  • 08-09-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Anyone here got experience of growing & drying ornamental Gourds ?

I've been vegetable gardening for years & let my kids choose a packet of seeds each season to grow for themselves...this year they chose ornamental gourds; something I've never grown before. I've had success with pumpkins, but then I never try to dry them afterwards.

Anyway, cut a long story short, we harvested the first one - stem was brown & drying, so looked perfect, took it indoors, washed and dried it & left it in a light airy dry position, turning it daily (got the instructions from the bbc site).

I work in London (fortunately !!) and got a terse call from my dearly beloved yesterday to say that the Gourd had 'exploded' in the kitchen & there was 'slime and goo' running down the walls...........

I know I'll be banned from bringing another one indoors unless I come up with a plausible answer.....any ideas anyone ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

OMG :eek:

Do Pumpkins, squashes etc every year and never had this and I've no helpful info, but I do sympathise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sounds like a buildup of gas inside from some sort of breakdown and BAM!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

No idea, but LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Sounds like a buildup of gas insnide from some sorut of breakdown and BAM!

was the gourd in direct sunlight, or near a heat source...I imagine the sugars inside the fruit were being broken down by bacteria and building up gases, was there a smell from the remains

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Would agree with the Gas build up theory from bacterial breakdown.
    If kept in a cool dry place they dont breakdown too quickly.

If your looking to dry them I would pierce the skin on the bottom and then leave in a low heat oven for up to 2 days. The speeds of the drying should help desicate them insude and out

• Advertisement
Advertisement