Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber yard in the City, with delivery?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Moving into a student house, Have a satellite that can be mounted on decking, I have no decking at the house and don't want to mount it on the wall.

So I'm looking for somewhere that sells cheap timber (ply wood would probably be best) and deliver near UCC as I've got no car.

Can anyone help?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Try these guys, I think they deliver
    http://www.jmcmahon.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

themonboys wrote: »
    Try these guys, I think they deliver
    http://www.jmcmahon.com/

Cheers! Will Ring them when I'm in Cork.

Still open to suggestions from anyone else. I'm abit concerned that I only want about 2' x 3' that suppliers might not be bothered about delivering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Why don't you get the bus out to the likes of woodies, b&q or bus to togher and walk out to brooks on the roundabout

you'll get 2ft x 4ft sheets there

if your securing the dish onto the ply using woodscrews you'll need around 18mm thick

if you've the likes of machine screws and a wing nut or other type of nut you could get away with 9mm

price wise I'd reccommend brooks, diy shops are the centra of the building world,
    you pay a premium for the late opening hours, weekend opening and cause most people either don't have time during weekdays or can't be bothered going to trade shops

Why don't you get the bus out to the likes of woodies, b&q or bus to togher and walk out to brooks on the roundabout

you'll get 2ft x 4ft sheets there

if your securing the dish onto the ply using woodscrews you'll need around 18mm thick

if you've the likes of machine screws and a wing nut or other type of nut you could get away with 9mm

price wise I'd reccommend brooks, diy shops are the centra of the building world,
    you pay a premium for the late opening hours, weekend opening and cause most people either don't have time during weekdays or can't be bothered going to trade shops

I emailed, they'll only do 8x4 sheets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I emailed, they'll only do 8x4 sheets :(
    Woodies and B&Q don't do 4x2 sheets? I'm stunned! are you sure about that?

Try B&Q in mahoon, they have a cut to size service, most often its marked "out of order" but that's probably because the trained person is not on duty. Phone and ask when the cut to size service is available and get an 8x2 sheet cut in half, should be a bit awkward to carry on a bus but could be done. I'd recommend marine ply or birch ply if they have that. The glue used in birch is not suitable for outdoor use so use plenty of screws joining the two sheets together.

I can't imagine any builders providers would be interested in dropping off a 2x3 sheet.

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »
    Woodies and B&Q don't do 4x2 sheets? I'm stunned! are you sure about that?

Try B&Q in mahoon, they have a cut to size service, most often its marked "out of order" but that's probably because the trained person is not on duty. Phone and ask when the cut to size service is available and get an 8x2 sheet cut in half, should be a bit awkward to carry on a bus but could be done. I'd recommend marine ply or birch ply if they have that. The glue used in birch is not suitable for outdoor use so use plenty of screws joining the two sheets together.

I can't imagine any builders providers would be interested in dropping off a 2x3 sheet.

Oh I was talking about Brooks. Yeah I'm gonna' phone them when I'm in Cork and then figure out what bus I get there and back :pac:

Was thinking about the ply, I was going to cover it with some plastic sheeting and screw into that, But Marine ply might be better!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Ricky91t wrote: »
    But Marine ply might be better!

you won't get marine grade from either woodies or b&q - you'll get wbp which is a step down from marine,
    still exterior grade though hence the w(eather) part of wbp. you don't need marine grade for what your doing.

again keep the thickness in mind, I can guarantee a 18mm 2x4 sheet from either store will cost around the same as a 8x4 in 18mm

but carrying an 8x4 that's been cut up on the bus won't be much fun, especially 18mm

Advertisement