Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I sell my bike?

• 08-09-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Long story short, I bought a Specilized Stumpjumper last year for over €2,000 euro with the intension of getting fit again.

At the time I lived near the Wiclow Mountains but if im to be honest with myself I went up 3,4 times tops. Cycled into work for a few months that was it.

Ive since moved out and havent used the bike as much - I've joined a gym and am happy with my workout there instead of the bike.

Do you think a bike like this I should hang onto for a few years or sell it? I'm really torn now at this stage what to do.

Would it be foolish to keep a bike this expensive just to take out for a spin on the roads once in a while? That's what part of me is thinking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I would sell it and buy an entry level road bike if you are going to be cycling on the road.
    You are more likely to use a road bike imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You're asking a cycling forum whether you should sell your bike and stick to the gym?

For shame.

The answer is: don't sell it, ride it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

well on a very good day it might be worth €1200 now depending on the spec... not much point in keeping it if you're not using it as it will just devalue even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

If it were me I'd probably sell it, and get a hybrid or low end road bike for riding on the roads every now and again. No point having a 2 grand mountain bike for occasional road riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    At the time I lived near the Wiclow Mountains but if im to be honest with myself I went up 3,4 times tops. Cycled into work for a few months that was it.
    How come you used it so little?
    Ive since moved out and havent used the bike as much -
    Where have you moved to?
    I've joined a gym and am happy with my workout there instead of the bike.
    Those 3-4 rides you were on must have been seriously boring.
    Would it be foolish to keep a bike this expensive just to take out for a spin on the roads once in a while? That's what part of me is thinking
    Yes, that would be foolish. Get rid if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Put some slick tyres on it and see if its more enjoyable to cycle on the road. Or try the MAD introductory sessions and see if you enjoy it more with a group.

I thought the answer to this question is always 'no, buy another one'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Why don't you cycle to/from the gym?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, the gym is only about a 2minute walk from the house - but a good idea. Even if it wasnt I'd be worried it would get stolen locked outside I guess.
    I guess I really should sell it, its just heart breaking cause I love it!

I think now that i'm in the gym and my fitness is rising, i'll get a different bike most suitable for roads in a year or so.

This thread made me realise there's no point in leaving something valuable sitting in a shed

papac & mfdc - you're posts made me see sense, thanks.

Thanks to everyone else for replying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

id say sell it if you just want the money, no point in keepin a bike thats not bein used.

i wouldnt sell that bike tho just to go out and buy a different one. you paid 2k for it, youd probably get 1100 for it now. to but an entry level road bikes gointa cost around the 1100 and your gointa end up not usin that either and end up sellin it for 600, if you keep goin like that youd end up with a fixie or a planet x and we all know their worthless pieces of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Goood point markcroninbsc, for now I guess I'll stick to the gym.

It's not so much the money more so I cant really see myself using it (especially around mountains like its designed for) anytime soon if im to be honest with myself.

Thanks again everyone for the help.
    It might have sounded stupid asking, but its hard to admit I guess that you have to sell something you love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

It's really all down to whether you can bear to take the inevitable loss on it if you were to sell. As others have said, you probably won't get more than 11/1200 for it. The problem with selling mountain bikes, even ones in virtually new condition is that the technology on them evolves so quickly that last years bike is perceived to be out of date once a new model appears. While this might be technically true it's always worth remembering that last years hot new model was more advanced than the previous years and so on back so that in fact you still own a very advanced bike but you'll have trouble convincing a prospective purchaser if they see it as somewhat out of date.
    If you don't need the money and have somewhere safe to stash it, I'd say put it away and if you get the urge to ride on the road later then convert it into a super hybrid.

Advertisement