Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding My 360 - Is it possible?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a 360 soon with a kernal 2.0.8955.0

Is it possible to mod this in some way? How easy is it?

I was looking at the sticky with people offering to do this for me. But their prices range from 30 euro to 75 euro and I'm not sure what it is I will be getting.

<snip>
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hi BlackWizard,

We can discuss modding here, but not backups/piracy etc. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

With a dashboard version of 2.0.8955 it means you have accepted an update from August 2009. This disables the JTAG hack.

All you can do with this console is flash the DVD drive firmware. So you will be looking for somebody to do this in the modding services sticky. Please note the make & model of your DVD drive (there are guides on the internet) as this does have a bearing on who will mod your drive (e.g. I will not do LiteOn drives at this time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Thanks EnterNow. Forgot about that!

I'll try find out what DVD drive is in it. Hopefully it is not LiteOn.

I have an xbox 360 at the moment. It sometimes asks me to update it and I always update it. Is this the update you are referring to? So I must have the latest dashboard version on my 360 at home then too.

I have an xbox 360 at the moment. It sometimes asks me to update it and I always update it. Is this the update you are referring to? So I must have the latest dashboard version on my 360 at home then too.

Yep, those are the updates I'm speaking about ;) That's how you got to 8955, or 9199 in your dashboard version and that's how you can't JTAG anymore :p

There are plenty of people who do LiteOn's by the way, just that I don't/won't do them :)

I forgot to post back in this thread.

I have a LiteOn Dvd drive.

So if anyone wants to mod this for me or can recommend anyone just send me a PM.

I'm contacting some people on the sticky thread. Thanks for the help TouchingVirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I forgot to post back in this thread.

I have a LiteOn Dvd drive.

So if anyone wants to mod this for me or can recommend anyone just send me a PM.

I'm contacting some people on the sticky thread. Thanks for the help TouchingVirus

Do you know what version Lite-on it is, the 8 series one has two version, version 1 all you need is a sata cable to flash it, im in limerick if you want someone to do it

How do I find out what version I have?

I just took the face plate off but I'm not sure what else to do :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

what's the manufacture date of your xbox? its printed on back plate

It says 2008-08-15

It says 2008-08-15

well agust was the month they changed to the new drives, do you now how to open ur xbox

http://www.360drives.com/list/page28

Its probably a 7 series, you ll need a probe to do it, its piss easy if u have one

• Advertisement

See that's the thing. I sat down last night and tried to take out the DVD drive from my xbox but it has a warranty sticker on it. It looks like I have to break the warranty sticker to take out the DVD drive to find out what version I have.

I haven't got any probe. I'm looking to get someone else to do the modding for me. I presume the probe is for modding.

Use a hairdryer on max, point it at the sticker to heat up the sticker until it's very hot. The plastic surrounding it should be very hot too. Then peel the sticker off slowly with something flat like a credit card after lifting an edge by hand. Also, since you're on an investigative journey be very careful around the back when opening the seven clips, you'll leave some tell-tale marks if you're not very careful unless you have a 360 opening tool :)

One warning, do not use a heatgun which will melt the plastic casing and maybe set the sticker on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Looks like you'll have to break the warranty either way if it's Liteon drive there are stickers on the side of it that need to be broken to get at the PCB

Unless it happens to be an 83850C v2 which can be flashed using the half-open tray method, as mentioned on the thread before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Given the MFR date I'd say it's either 83850c or 83850c V2

Yeah, we know. Which is why it is best the OP tries to retain the sticker (in case they end up with one that can be flashed without voiding the warranty on the drive). So comments that imply retaining the warranty sticker intact is pointless because they'll have to open the drive, when in fact they may not have to, aren't really appropriate.

Alright thanks guys. I'll get out the hair dryer and be very careful with it this evening.

Thanks! :)

Alright thanks guys. I'll get out the hair dryer and be very careful with it this evening.

Thanks! :)

well if your anywhere near limerick i can do it for ya

Advertisement