Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

occupational first aid or cardiac first responder courses

• 08-09-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Just wondering could anyone tell me if there are any occupational first aid or cardiac first responder courses coming up in Waterford or around the country? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Hi OP,

According to the HSA (Health & Safety Authority), the latest revised OFA (Occuptional First Aid) course includes the CFR (Cardiac First Responder) as an embedded module in the course training.
    See here http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/First_Aid/First_Aid_Frequently_Asked_Questions/First_Aid_FAQ_Responses/First_Aid_FAQ_Responses.html#AED2

Personally I think you are better doing the courses separately and then get an exemption of the CFR part when doing the OFA. I think you would learn more as OFA courses tend to be rushed cause there is so much to cover in the OFA.
    And if you do a OFA class, i think you better doing it over a few weeks, like night classes, as oppose to doing the 3 day in a row course. I think you get more out of it as you practice it more and have time to think about what you have covered the week before.
    Just my opinion.

2 courses I noticed that are running soon in the city.

WIT Evening Course
    WIT are running a first aid course soon with the help of the "Order of Malta"
    http://studentssp.wit.ie/sofed/prospectus/prospectus.asp?intake=SEP10
    Put in Search "First Aid"
    €160 - it doesn't say if it is OFA or not.
    I would get in touch with WIT and find out if you get a Occupational First Aid Cert or not. All it says on the web page is
    "Candidates will be entered for a recognised First Aid Certificate."
    Weird that they dont say what the recognised First Aid Certificate is.
    recognised by who?
    My guess is that it probably is OFA.

If you want the Cert for CV purposes then you need an OFA cert -
    "FETAC Level 5 Occupational First Aid"
    Certificate of Attendance certs are no good to you if you need it for career path reasons.

Waterford College of Further Education (aka CTI on Parnell St) Evening Course
    Evening OFA course - 150 euros
    http://www.wcfe.ie/jcms/index.php/wcfe-evening/56-personal-development/143-occupational-first-aid-certificate-course

Two other options open to you include
    (1) you could make contact directly with Civil Defence, Order Of Malta, Red Cross, St John Of Ambulance etc and see if they are running courses.
    (2) Get in contact with First Aid Training companies and see if they can accommodate you on a course they will be running soon.
    All approved registered OFA instructors are listed here.
    http://www.ofaaa.com/find_instructor.php?pid=Mjg=

Hope this helps.
    - BFG

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kend85

Thanks a million!!!that has really helped me!!LEGEND :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

First aid & medical training services are a Waterford based company that trains ocupational first aid courses, CPR , baic life support training and ard training

You can contact them on 0868474444

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

jkelly85 wrote: »
    First aid & medical training services are a Waterford based company that trains ocupational first aid courses, CPR , baic life support training and ard training

You can contact them on 0868474444

Denise Kelly from the above company is excellent. I've been doing first aid courses over the last 28 years and she's one of the best first aid teachers that I've come across. I'm due to do another course soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

deisemum wrote: »
    Denise Kelly from the above company is excellent. I've been doing first aid courses over the last 28 years and she's one of the best first aid teachers that I've come across. I'm due to do another course soon.
    +1

Both herself and John are excellent trainers with years of first hand experience in the field, and you will be hard pushed to find nicer people too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sweet jeebus

I recently did an Occupational First Aid course in the NAS training centre in Waterford. I found the course great. The instructor was sound out and the facilities were top notch. I've found training rooms & equipment to be worn and dated on other courses I've attended. Thay also provided scones in the morning & wraps & sandwiches for lunch. I couldn't say a bad word about the place.
    The also do other training courses like manual handling & CPR.

Their number is 051 333960 :D:D

Advertisement