Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up system to transmit and view data on a webpage??

Options
  • 08-09-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Hi all,

I am looking to set up a simple remote data transmission system which will allow me to view and manipulate data (collected by a data logger in the field) from the office.

I am new to the area and am not very familiar with the terminology used....... basically I need to

1) Collect the data on site (I have a data logger - National Instruments cRIO 9074) - no problem there

2) Occassionally transmit it from the data logger in order to check up on the progress of the test - presumably I would need to use some sort of HSDPA modem which takes a sim card, with a router? (there's an ethernet port on the data logger)

3) Set up some sort of webpage which would allow me to download the data to my PC and copy it to something like excel so I can manipulate it - I've no idea where to start with this yet!

Any help, directions or comments on any of the above would be very much appreciated,

Thanks for any help,

Phil [/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

How's your Linux? You could setup a VPS (€10-20 per month) with any of the online VPS providers and run an FTP server on it. That way the data logger could upload the data to the FTP server and you could access it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 philhway

Hi bhickey,

Thanks for the comment.... I've no experience with linux at all.

To be honest I'm new to the whole area (and will need to get some help with whatever I end up doing) so just trying to do a bit of digging on the subject - what are the alternatives to linux?

I used MS front page a number of years ago to create a webpage - would it be possible to use that to create the webpage and then set up with a VPS providor? (again, sorry if this doesn't make sense, but am compleatly new to the area!)

I probably should add - the data logger will be handling only very small amounts of data (approx 5 measurements per minute, over about 5 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Okay then on a slightly smaller & simpler scale you could get a basic hosting package from someone like Blacknight and that would give you website with FTP access already setup. You could then FTP the files directly into website folders in a format that you could read from a browser (e.g. http://your.website.com/20100908datalog.txt)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If going the VPS route he can just use windows instead. To be honest I am not sure it is worth buying a VPS just to have an FTP server.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 philhway

Thanks for your replies

If I had access to an ftp site (or set one up), is it as simple as setting the data logging device to deliver the data periodiocally to the IP address ftp site (assuming the data logger has the ability to do this)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement