Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for primary teaching job or experience

• 08-09-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I've just finished a PGCE Primary course in England and I'm now looking for work in Ireland. I've been applying for work via educationposts.ie and have signed up for subbing with education centres. I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything else I should be doing to get work or experience in schools? I'd be very grateful for any suggestions :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you are an INTO member you could give your name to the branch secretary, sometimes principals ring them for someone local, not a sub 3 hours away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sinead10

Thanks, i'll have to look into that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It would be very important to call in person to EVERY primary school in your locality - after school -and hand in your CV to the secretary - try to get a min or two with the principal if at all possible. Make sure you tell them that you live locally, it can make a difference. If you have a car, call to schools that are in a 20 min drive from where you live. Make sure you call at least 30 mins after a school closes as most principals will be very busy during the day but might have a min for you at that time.
    Reiterate, that you are qualified and local. I did my PGCE in London and could only get 6 or 7 days work from Sep to Xmas!! I had 2 days off from Xmas to Summer! That was a few years ago but what I am saying is be Patient! All good things......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

It's very tough at the minute so don't let that get you down.
    Can highly recommend trying to get into the smaller country schools if there's any around you. The principals of these schools tend to run in packs and if you're popular with one, they may recommend you to another principal. Even getting subbing to cover their principal days is great. They all add up.

Not all principals would be there 30 minutes after school close though so beware, no point in driving 20 miles to find an empty office.

Definitely emphasise that you're local, makes a big difference in their eyes, especially f they get a sick call half an hour before school is due to start. The ability to be there in 20 minutes is a great advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Only 25% of NQTs in Froebel College of Ed have access to a school at the moment. Only 6 out of 93 have temporary jobs. It was suggested that they seek one day a week volunteering to base their assignments on but even then schools said they have waiting lists. It really is very very competitive and tough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It was suggested that they seek one day a week volunteering to base their assignments on but even then schools said they have waiting lists. It really is very very competitive and tough.

Are those Froebel B.Eds that are completing their fourth year?

That's a pretty scary stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

If I were you, I'd call to the schools with your cv and a summary sheet with your basic details. If you have Garda clearance and are registered with the Teaching Council, you are on the first rung of the ladder. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

It seems to be very difficult to get some subbing work at the moment. Best if you visit schools with your CV-then hopefully people will call on you. Good Luck!

Was at an INTO meeting recently, the district rep said INTO are launching a web page (this week sometime)where you register every Friday with your locality and details and basically fill in days where you are available. This sounds worth a go providing it works properly but could see it being the first port of call for principals that don't have a steady supply of subs. Be warned though, you must register every week or they just assume you've work and remove you from the register

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That sounds a lot like the text-a-sub system. There's a link to that on the Education Posts website. It's a great way to get subbing work... if you're registered with the Teaching Council. I finished the B.Ed last summer and didn't register, and even though I'm qualified it means I can't use the system. That's my own fault though, before anyone points it out! :p

• Advertisement

Text a sub is fine but so often the principal just takes the first person who calls. This way they can have a chance to check out their qualification, maybe call other principals in the area (to see if they know of you) before they contact you. Text a sub can be soul destroying, call 5 minutes after the text-job gone. At least this way it's not a case of who has the fastest finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Subsearch is up and running
    here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

My niece has just trained to be a teacher.
    It looks like now she will be asked to work for free.
    The budget speech today backed this up.
    I dont think there will be anymore hires for many years in the public sector. Anyone entering it will be working for free for several years.

Advertisement