Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad UPC Customer Service

• 08-09-2010 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I can't believe how bad UPC's customer service deaprtment has gotten.
    I have the highest package with them , hd tv and 30 mb broadband etc, and they disconnected me yesterday evening as my bill was overdue by 22 CENTS. I went to pay the bill 2 weeks ago and I didnt have 22 cent in change in my pocket so I paid the bill not even giving the change a 2nd thought.

I couldnt believe it when the services were gone and I was informed I didn't pay my bill. Are these people for real or have they just no common sense about them. Seriously thinking of cancelling my subscription and going elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Why did you think they would overlook any underpayment? I doubt they would straight disconnect you for just one underpayment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Bet you wish you paid by direct debit now! :)

Yes, they should have warned you in advance by letter. Yes, they should ignore small amounts like this. But you are also responsible here - you did not pay your bill in FULL.

Are there any other circumstances here we don't know about e.g. was the bill already overdue when you paid it? Do you regularly not pay their bills before the due date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sandy Ravage

I never even gave it a second tought it just seemed like a small amount.
    I pay 130 euro a month to them and was never late or left a bill unpaid.
    They could have at least rang me or contacted me in some way before they disconnected me. Now they want a 50 euro reconnection fee.
    Bunch of f*******

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

To be honest, I think there whole system is automatic, Meaning that if the bill is mark as unpaid in full they will disconnect you.

Obviously they are within their rights to do so, But for 22 cents i can't see them wanting to do it.

Also you can't argue that they didn't tell you that it was unpaid. You pay the bill yourself so its up to you to make sure that its paid on time and in full, But that being said they do normally send you a a letter to let you know that you have and outstanding balance.

All the same. If their system is automatic then there is nothing they could have done. You knew the bill wasn't paid in full.

Whether its 22 cent or 22 euro, And upaid bill is an unpaid bill(to computers at least). I doubt they have some sort of margin for 'Well its only a few euro just let this one slide until the next month'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Even if the system is automatic, there has to be some human intervention to physically disconnect services, surely an amount such as 22c should have produced a less drastic response.

Best of luck in dealing with Customer Service. It is, by far, THE WORST customer service setup I have ever come across in my entire life.

I need to qualify that, however, by saying that each individual person I have spoken to through the years has been perfectly fine and patient, but they don't seem to have the tools or training to do anything for you without escalating it to accounts/tech/wherever, and that's where the "service" falls down, because you could be waiting days (and in some cases, in my experience, weeks) for them to call you back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Even if the system is automatic, there has to be some human intervention to physically disconnect services, surely an amount such as 22c should have produced a less drastic response.

Best of luck in dealing with Customer Service. It is, by far, THE WORST customer service setup I have ever come across in my entire life.

I need to qualify that, however, by saying that each individual person I have spoken to through the years has been perfectly fine and patient, but they don't seem to have the tools or training to do anything for you without escalating it to accounts/tech/wherever, and that's where the "service" falls down, because you could be waiting days (and in some cases, in my experience, weeks) for them to call you back.

Yes the actual disconnecting part may infact require a human response, But that doesn't mean they see how much was owed. It probably just comes in to there screen saying 'Unpaid bill' 'Disconnect services'.

As fair as customer support is, I remember them being really bad, But the past year alone, I haven't had any issues, Just a few weeks ago, There was a small outage in the area, Rang up and was given the exact time the service would be back online.

That being said i do hear alot of people having issues with upc customer service, I guess im just the lucky one.

OP i suggest you tell them that you have no interest in them reconnecting it if there is a €50 reconnection charge, For €130 a month i would be shocked they wouldn't let it slide.

I remember i paid my bill online and the next day i was disconnected, So i rang them and asked why, They said i didn't pay my bill, I told them simply that i did, The problem being it takes 2-3 days to clear.

I then explain that i shouldn't have to wait 2-3 days for the banks to clear the money. They understood and reconnected me within 5 minutes.

I really do hope you get everything sorted. Its far cheaper getting the all in package with upc then getting sky and eircom.

Also UPC have better broadband packages(Also with 100mb coming next month)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

By far, IMHO, UPC have the best service and range of products. I can also state that reliability of service is quite good (the last outage was for 4 hours 3 months ago during the day, and before that, it was last year).

Problem is, when there is a problem, I dread ringing them, as I know I will end up tearing my hair out. Thankfully, I don't have to do that so often. Every cloud, I s'pose. Actually, more like Every Silver Lining has a cloud!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Ive had very few problems with my upc internet and tv but god help you when you do. I find the main obstacle is getting someone to pick up the phone. I find their service great but dread having to ring their customer service department.

As for getting disconnected it most likely fully automated system that sends you out a few warnings then cuts you off.

All is ok and forgiven now !!!!

manager rang me back and apologised saying that the system fell down a bit, I should have recieved a letter but it was never sent out. All services restored, I can play modern warfare tonight icon7.gif

Plus the idea of 100 mb broadband makes me forgive UPC even quicker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

All services restored, I can play modern warfare tonight

Are you THE Sandy Ravage?....OMG, OMG, OMG....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭JDxtra

All is ok and forgiven now !!!!

manager rang me back and apologised saying that the system fell down a bit, I should have recieved a letter but it was never sent out. All services restored, I can play modern warfare tonight icon7.gif

Plus the idea of 100 mb broadband makes me forgive UPC even quicker.

Excellent, good news.

No I'm not the real Sandy Ravage just a pretender lol icon10.gif

That guy took my username on modern warfare before I got to use it icon12.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

UPC's phone support is horrendous, contact them on twitter instead: http://twitter.com/weareupc

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dino72

We have been with UPC for 5 years. And have fallen behind in our payments by one month. Then we receive a notice saying our services will be interrupted from next week on. However I went to use the phone and I got a dead dial tone today instead.
    When I called customer service up I got a guy in Limerick...and he gives me the more than my jobs worth yellow pack treatment. "We can't reconnect you, but we are here to help you" he says.
    How by cutting my services?
    We always always pay our bill. Always! "Not on time" he tells me. Yes but it always gets paid I tell him.
    And we even offered to pay half this week of the arrears and half next week. "Sorry" he says, "we don't have a policy like that." Can I speak to your supervisor? "No!" he says.
    HOW IS THIS HELPING??? HOW IS THIS ALLOWED TO BE CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE???
    It seems to be a lottery if you get someone who wants to help you with UPC or if they decide not to bother and hide behind statements like "It's not our policy sir."
    I wouldn't mind but the phone service is rubbish anyway in that it constantly drops calls on us. The broadband is slow and always half what it says on the ads and the TV box rarely records on time. On top of this we are paying around €100 per month for a service that is advertised at €65!
    PLEASE GOD BRING US SOME DECENT COMPETITION WITH A SERVICE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS TOWARDS HELPING THE CUSTOMER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Dino72 wrote: »
    We have been with UPC for 5 years. And have fallen behind in our payments by one month. Then we receive a notice saying our services will be interrupted from next week on. However I went to use the phone and I got a dead dial tone today instead.
    When I called customer service up I got a guy in Limerick...and he gives me the more than my jobs worth yellow pack treatment. "We can't reconnect you, but we are here to help you" he says.
    How by cutting my services?
    We always always pay our bill. Always! "Not on time" he tells me. Yes but it always gets paid I tell him.
    And we even offered to pay half this week of the arrears and half next week. "Sorry" he says, "we don't have a policy like that." Can I speak to your supervisor? "No!" he says.
    HOW IS THIS HELPING??? HOW IS THIS ALLOWED TO BE CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE???
    It seems to be a lottery if you get someone who wants to help you with UPC or if they decide not to bother and hide behind statements like "It's not our policy sir."
    I wouldn't mind but the phone service is rubbish anyway in that it constantly drops calls on us. The broadband is slow and always half what it says on the ads and the TV box rarely records on time. On top of this we are paying around €100 per month for a service that is advertised at €65!
    PLEASE GOD BRING US SOME DECENT COMPETITION WITH A SERVICE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS TOWARDS HELPING THE CUSTOMER!

So you bump a thread that's over a year old, just to complain about yourself not paying your bills on time? :pac:

Roast if you were the guy on the phone today in UPC, I have to congratulate you for showing everyone here what sort of gob****e I had to deal with.
    It's people like you that make me feel very sorry for those in the dole queues each week who actually want to work and to make a difference every day by doing their best to help and be productive. Perhaps you should try that for a while and see if you are so quick to be so smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Roast if you were the guy on the phone today in UPC, I have to congratulate you for showing everyone here what sort of gob****e I had to deal with.
    It's people like you that make me feel very sorry for those in the dole queues each week who actually want to work and to make a difference every day by doing their best to help and be productive. Perhaps you should try that for a while and see if you are so quick to be so smart.

I'm not surprised you got the short thrift on your call with an attitude like that. You must have been an awful pain in the balls for that poor guy to listen to.

Derek aka Roast and Dark whatever other id you have gone and given yourself - I will pay my bill and move on no bother. But it's fools like you who are giving what was once a good service a bad name.

Derek aka Roast and Dark whatever other id you have gone and given yourself - I will pay my bill and move on no bother. But it's fools like you who are giving what was once a good service a bad name.

Derek?? Wait a sec, do you think I work for UPC, or are you just trolling?? Or both? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Ironic that you call people fools and then suddenly know what everybody on this site does for a living. In fact its most likely the most ridiculous comment I've read on this site all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

roast wrote: »
    Derek?? Wait a sec, do you think I work for UPC, or are you just trolling?? Or both? :rolleyes:
    wait, i know a guy called Derek, you must be the exact same guy*. :pac:

* even if you're not called Derek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 206igorborg

Set box not working Friday 1800 contacted UPC best they can do is Tuesday,but do they care NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

By far, IMHO, UPC have the best service and range of products.

I would have said that Sky are far ahead for the range and functionality of their TV service. :)

I've looked at moving, more than once, but would consider it a step backwards.

Jaysus, what's with the necrobumps?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok, thats the end of that
    NO MORE BUMPING!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement