Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcullen Gate Makers

Options
  • 08-09-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Made a agreement with "Downey Engineering or as there website states Kilcullen Gate makers.com. to fit a a sliding gate with the rail dug into the ground.

So the guy put in the gate and lord behold the gate was a bar above the ground. Didn't see it until my mother pointed it out.

2 weeks later bar snapped from cars driving into the yard so called them to fix it , no sign of them or call back.

Contacted a solicitor and he said he would progress on terms of "not fit for purpose and not of merchantable quality. Also it was a safety risk if any1 tripped.

2 solicitor letters later no contact, and solicitor he probably wont turn up to court so not point in chasing him.

Any Help/Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lodge a claim in the Small Claims Court (assuming that the goods were less than €2,000). Only costs you €15 and you don't need a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 padgo

Thanks for your reply

If he dosen appear to that court date , what happens then. Im not up on consumer law i must admit.

I just cant see him paying out he is a nasty piece of work

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The judge will more than likely rule against him.

However, when you get to the SCC, you will need to show the judge that you have taken reasonable measures to get the issue resolved.

So keep a log of phone calls, and it is a good idea to send a registered letter where you outline the grievance and offer him 10 (or so) business days to resolve it. Make sure to mention in the letter that once this timeframe elapses that you will be initiating a claim in the SCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

What are the dates of the various incidents.

Installation date, contact date about fault?

Did you go straight to solicitor after just one failed callout (red flag to a bull for many guys) or did you call into them or try & contact them about not turning up.

Most of these types of places close for 2 weeks in August, so they may not have been around to reply.

Also, if its the place I'm thinking of they have a large display area and office - why not call in and ask why someone did not call out. They are also in business for quite a long time and do a lot of commercial work and you don't stay in business for long if your work is shoddy & service is non existent.

Advertisement