Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about sunflowers...

Options
  • 08-09-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Myself and my four year old daughter planted sunflowers for the first time this year. I have never managed to grow anything before so they are a huge achievement :) I went out today to see if our last three have begun to open and noticed that one of the sunflowers which opened last week now has another 5 new buds on the same stem?? Is that unusual to have six buds on the one sunflower stem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It is not uncommon and does happen.

I have a sunflower only 6cm high and in flower. Is this a record for the smallest?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

No depending on the variety you can get singles and multiple heads.
    Can also get them is some amazing colours (oranges and reds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This is very interesting to me as I had the garden rotivated several months ago. Up comes 5 triffids/beanstalks and I waited to see what they were and they were sunflowers, all gorgeous and varying in size. but only one flower on each plant. I never planted them, they just were sent from heaven!! Fabulous. Now as the first and biggest one is fading, what is the system for saving the seeds, do I have to dry out the flowerhead first? Never did it before and I rather fancy having lots of sunflowers next year, they'll hopefully help to keep the weeds down.

At the other end of the garden I did plant 3 hollyhocks and I am struck by the similar leaf shape and size to the sunflowers and they have lots of buds on them and I'm looking forward to seeing them flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

The bud count has now gone up to seven buds wohoo!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My sunflowers were only ok this year and when I look across the road my neighbour has these huge beautiful specimens with numerous heads all still in flower......:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

ive been growing them for over 20 years, if u want them to grow great, u need to follow 3 simple rules:

1. Feed them (tomato feed is best)
    2. Good soil and plenty of room in pot (they grow large roots)
    3. Always keep well watered (they drink loads)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Good soil

That's where I fell down - I put them into a part of the garden I hadn't properly dug yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

grew one this year to about 110 inches :D

entered the tallest sunflower competition in the local gardening comp, havnt heard anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

My tallest one is 11 foot 1 inch, but unfortunately it is starting to wither :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i threw some kelkin sunflower seeds on the front garden a few years ago (had recently just replaced gravel with some fairly decent soil) and got dozens of sunflowers, a few over 12 foot tall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement