Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have an opinion on 'When(insert_random_celeb_name)dropped in to Boards.ie HQ'

Options
  • 08-09-2010 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Do you have an opinion on, or approve of, 'When (insert_random_celeb_name) dropped in to Boards.ie HQ' ?

Do you approve of Approve of (Random celeb) dropping into Boards.ie HQ' threads?? 59 votes

Approve of the dropping into Boards.ie HQ threads
    0%
    Disapprove of the dropping into Boards.ie HQ threads
    18%
    DeVoreazezilSarky[Deleted User]TerrysmasheyMitchKoobskicyning-Corkie-karma_Pookah 11 votes
    Don't care !
    15%
    gandalfmike65DermojtsuitedfullstopstovelidMorlarCookie_MonsterWolfe Tone 9 votes
    What harm ?
    66%
    deRangedneuro-praxisNietzscheanChinafootSparksOrionArt_WolfPisteR0otOtaconmikemacdoryLariannedelta_bravofred funk }{biko_feedback_GLaDOSphasersAckwelFoley 39 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Nope, its not. Nothing to see here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Don't care !
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Should have been posted on adverts.ie

That's kind of my issue with it - it feels like I am being advertised at in some kind of creepy infotainment/'advert-ainment' kind of deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Morlar wrote: »
    That's kind of my issue with it - it feels like I am being advertised at in some kind of creepy infotainment/'advert-ainment' kind of deal.

OH YAAAAA - I'm obviously not very aware of subliminal messaging!!!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They should have got James McEvoy instead...... and then stabbed him in the face for making the awfully horrendous film that is Wanted. God, that film sucked donkey balls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jeasus, next thing ya know, there will be breaks for adverts before we can enter a forum section!

Coming in just to advertise/publicise a product directly in posts?
    I though spamming was frowned upon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't care !
    Biggins wrote: »
    Jeasus, next thing ya know, there will be breaks for adverts before we can enter a forum section!

Coming in just to advertise/publicise a product directly in posts?
    I though spamming was frowned upon!

Verry Furrrny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't care !
    I don't have one but my mate knows somebody who worked in a record shop who shouted to a colleague, have we got that bird compilation in yet when a woman was looking for that Women's Heart album.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What harm ?
    Couldn't care my less but don't mind it being there. It's not a huge banner ad or an animated ad that obscures your view. It's just a thread announcement on some stuff that happened IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If having artists visiting the boards hq is going to be a regular thing, then I'm all for it.
    However, I think that Darragh needs to improve a bit with his interviewing skills.
    He spent the first portion of the interview leafing through the CD inlay, rather than engaging Eleanor face to face.
    Having finished leafing through the inlay, he appeared a bit timid, and his body language showed a lack of confidence.
    Now this may have been because of the fact they were on a couch. Perhaps getting rid of the couch and using two chairs would be a better idea. That way, as per most interviews of this type, both people can face each other properly, as well as getting face time on camera.

I know that it's a small room, but maybe place the chairs in the corner of the room, and use a backdrop of some type.

AH reply: Feckin' shills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

If only that boards.ie casting couch could talk!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What harm ?
    I thought it was yer one from Fair City who was married to Miley. No idea who that lady is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Should have been a fifth option i.e. "Who the fuck is Eleanor McEvoy?"
    I've heard of her but wouldn't know a song of hers or recognise her voice if it deafened my ears! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Moved to Feedback. Feel free to have your say here.
    However, I think that Darragh needs to improve a bit with his interviewing skills.
    He spent the first portion of the interview leafing through the CD inlay, rather than engaging Eleanor face to face.
    Having finished leafing through the inlay, he appeared a bit timid, and his body language showed a lack of confidence.

Just on this - Terry, I completely agree. I was badly prepared and it looked awful. I'll defo keep the advice in mind for the next time. Cheers for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What harm ?
    With just over 300 views on that youtube video id imagine it either needs to be marketed better on boards.ie side, or she has no fans..at all.

Id be assuming the former, not the latter.

Nice idea though.

Any chance of Dr Dre sitting on the sofa? :pac:

I'd love that. Dre on the couch. So, Dr, about this prescription you gave me ... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest a boards talks to.. forum which can be link in an announcement, and can be used to get questions people would like you to ask, and for feedback and which can be linked to on the blog and on twitter.

And still picture can be used on the blog to promote it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

How about if you were interviewing another musician you run a little comp for boards members fans to jam with them, just a song or two.

I appreciate that sometimes these interviews can just pop up unexpected but it would involve the community a bit more, let the boardsies stick a demo on YouTube and have a poll or something to pick a winner.

Darragh wrote: »
    Moved to Feedback. Feel free to have your say here.

Just on this - Terry, I completely agree. I was badly prepared and it looked awful. I'll defo keep the advice in mind for the next time. Cheers for the feedback.
    I'm glad to see that you read it as the constructive criticism that it was, rather than the usual AH bile.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

snyper wrote: »
    Any chance of Dr Dre sitting on the sofa? :pac:

Ye'd be lucky to get dr.bollocko.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hang on, this thread isnt in AH or anything, its an announcement.... right?

Wouldnt this fall under our unwritten rule of "dont like it, dont read it?"

I'm sure for some she's the most riveting thing ever. If its not your thing, keep walking. No?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Don't care !
    DeVore wrote: »
    Hang on, this thread isnt in AH or anything, its an announcement.... right?

I'm sure for some she's the most riveting thing ever. If its not your thing, keep walking. No?

DeV.

But is part of the issue not that there was an AH thread on it that just mysteriously disappeared? (Darragh took it down and has clarified stuff since, which is fine by me)
    And that the impression given from those actions are that boards will not tolerate criticism of her or their actions & interests in plugging this item?

Don't care !
    But is part of the issue not that there was an AH thread on it that just mysteriously disappeared? (Darragh took it down and has clarified stuff since, which is fine by me)
    And that the impression given from those actions are that boards will not tolerate criticism of her or their actions & interests in plugging this item?

That ticked me off also - (later polite explantions notwithstanding) the fact that it was reefed. Removed (not moved somewhere else or locked) & with no explanation/pm etc.

Yes you can ignore it.

It was plastered however on the top of the boards.ie page so it's not so easy to ignore when you see it at the top of the homepage each time.

I was definitely creeped out at the thoughts of boards.ie blurring the lines into advert-ainment/info-tainment or however you choose to spin it. It's an internet forum and should not start (imo) to feel like tv3 or somewhere for b-d-e list celebs/musicians to plug things. I would again ask the question which I asked on the announcement thread but never appeared - if we have eleanor whatsername now then when can we (or should we) expect someone like jedward's press agent to swing their boards.ie gushing appearance ? My basic point is that it feels wierd and creepy (no offence to Darragh).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What harm ?
    Just on this - Terry, I completely agree. I was badly prepared and it looked awful.
    I blame the obvious sexual tension for that.

Once again, I'll just highlight that criticism aside (about both Eleanor and me, which is never nice to read, no matter how true) it was the content of some of the posts that made me remove the thread rather than just edit it.

I have no problem with constructive criticism. I have no problem with questions. I do have a major problem with abuse, with people feeling that because they're anonymous they can say what they like, and, in fact, the assumption that we did it for the wrong reasons rather than the right ones.

We're still trying things out and trying to come to the best possible way to do this, if it's something we're going to continue doing. Right now, I'm questioning whether we do that - if it's really worth it or of interest. The unfortunate thing is that asking in just one forum, even one as busy as AH, gets only a small percentage of the 140k+ active members we have commenting.
    Morlar wrote: »
    Yes you can ignore it.

It was plastered however on the top of the boards.ie page so it's not so easy to ignore when you see it at the top of the homepage each time.

I was definitely creeped out at the thoughts of boards.ie blurring the lines into advert-ainment/info-tainment or however you choose to spin it. It's an internet forum and should not start (imo) to feel like tv3 or somewhere for b-d-e list celebs/musicians to plug things. I would again ask the question which I asked on the announcement thread but never appeared - if we have eleanor whatsername now then when can we (or should we) expect someone like jedward's press agent to swing their boards.ie gushing appearance ? My basic point is that it feels wierd and creepy (no offence to Darragh).

Let's be realistic about this - it was there, like many other things are there, as one thread. It was there for 17 hours. You did not have to click into it.

If you feel that these are infotainment plugs, then how can we improve them that they're not? Basically the only time we'll get access to people is when they do have something to push or to sell or to promote - why else would they? Part of the trade off then is that we mention it in return for their appearance.

Re Jedward - I would LOVE Jedward to come in - they are the top celebrities in Ireland right now and it'd be great content.

No offence taken by the way.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Darragh removing the content entirely was a mistake he has put his hand up to.

It shouldn't have been removed, the offending (rather ugly) comment should have been removed instead. That was a mistake. We'll learn from it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

I'd love to see more artists and celebs apearing Boards, even it is to plug their latest product. So what? They're just making a living, same as the rest of us.

More of the same would be indicative of the growing power and popularity of sites like Boards, and if a celeb is ballsy enough to appear on here knowing some of the criticism they could face, more power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Don't care !
    King Felix wrote: »
    I'd love to see more artists and celebs apearing Boards, even it is to plug their latest product. So what? They're just making a living, same as the rest of us.
    While I acknowledge Boards Ltd can do what they want with their business and have no issue with that, why go with the usual banal road of celebs and artists and the like. Too much main stream media already cover all this non stop. I just think its a bit too commercial and repetitive.
    Sure we can all just ignore anything put up if we wish but I think it would also affect the general feel and membership of the site if it starts to turn into just another media platform for those trying to be famous.

@ Darragh & DeVore maybe such announcements could be better directed at the appropriate forums to minimise such occurrences (The AH thread 7 specific posts) going forward. IE that one at the music forum & sub or related forums rather than general site wide, though would the artist have been as interested then?

Re Jedward - I would LOVE Jedward to come in - they are the top celebrities in Ireland right now and it'd be great content.
    I'm no fan, but I'd agree that it would make for some great viewing.
    It would also be good publicity for this site.
    Darragh removing the content entirely was a mistake he has put his hand up to.

It shouldn't have been removed, the offending (rather ugly) comment should have been removed instead. That was a mistake. We'll learn from is.

DeV.
    How can we, the average boards users, continue to use this site with the knowledge that Darragh is capable of making mistakes?

As for the current announcement; as I type this, it's about some bike race or something. It doesn't interest me, so I will not be clicking on it. I can't beleive how easy that it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't care !
    Whats the policy for inviting public figures on boards for this sort of pimping? Only people the Admins approve of? Only people the Admins can get hold of ;) (dropped in my arse)

Shall we end up with say Michael D Higgins being given 5 mins to talk about his tilt at the Presidency while say Bertie Ahern is not allowed same?

Advertisement