Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have an opinion on 'When(insert_random_celeb_name)dropped in to Boards.ie HQ'

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm not sure what point you mean to disprove exactly but I know of and strongly approve of the type of interview where the forum members are asked for their input beforehand, as I've said earlier in [what I thought was this thread but unfortunatlely seems to be in the other thread in a non-public forum]. That's why I found this, not to beat about the bush, a poor effort by comparison. The Saw Doctors one, in contrast, was a return to form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Okay, okay, I get it. That point has been well driven home now, thank you. Won't happen again, etc etc :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

don't see what the fuss is myself, there is a danger that boards is just another stop on the media blitz bus, but thats the way you get interesting people to talk to you. Hopefully you then get a chance to mix it up a little from the usual banal stuff.

I would say that possibly boards could do with a little more investment around equipment especially sound and lighting to make it look and sound a little better. Assuming of course that this is an ongoing thing.

I hope it's not me just being cynical, but the various bits of abuse and attacks the first video prompted possibly gave some of the boards staff a clearer view of how other people in the 'media' may view the various personal attacks that are made on them daily on boards which of course still appear on google search results etc.

Darragh wrote: »
    Okay, okay, I get it. That point has been well driven home now, thank you. Won't happen again, etc etc :)

I was trying to let it lie, honest, they made me talk, man!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Disapprove of the dropping into Boards.ie HQ threads
    No your response clarified for me what you were saying, this one was Unusual in that darragh was surprised by it and we didn't do our usual canvassing for questions, but I was sitting here thinking "well, that's a bit harsh, we USUAL do that". Your answer clears your point up for me.

The point about professionalism and equipment is something we need to think about, this has been a direction we have "fallen into" and we need to think about how we want this to develop.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Is 'borrowing' boardsies with quality A/V equipment and the know-how to use them for a few hours a possibility? I imagine it could be very difficult to get things together at really short notice, but this kind of 'lads, we need a camera and a boom on Amiens street in 25 minutes, anyone?' could be right in the boards spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Is 'borrowing' boardsies with quality A/V equipment and the know-how to use them for a few hours a possibility? I imagine it could be very difficult to get things together at really short notice, but this kind of 'lads, we need a camera and a boom on Amiens street in 25 minutes, anyone?' could be right in the boards spirit.

Now there's where Boards.ie would be different.

It's not a media organisation, but there should be enough people on the site with the knowledge and know-how to do it professionally.

I'm sure there would be a few wannbe starlets in the Celebrity/Showbiz forum who could do the occasional guest interview. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The poll results show that the majority of people don't care about this, while a small few think its bad and a small few think its great.

I would suggest that a great reason for the apathy is that at most people feel like its a bit out of keeping with the great ethos that boards has always had. The best thing about boards and the thing that has seen it grow so much is the fact that it is based arounf user input. You can click into any forum and any topic and you have the freedom to give your opinion on whatever subject matter that tickles your fancy. People do so to engage with others and feel like they have contributed in their own small way to the debate. They can even have an input into how the place is run in teh Feedback forums. Bottom line - people continue to come back because they feel involved and a part of the action so to speak.

But where does the video fit into this ethos? People had no input into it and as a result unlike pretty much everything else that goes on on the site, they feel a level of disconnect and apathy to the whole thing.

An easy solution would be to advertise an dinterviw in announcements a few days beforehand and give us the opportunity to post questions to the interviewee involved. People would show more interest if they thought a question they posed had a chance of being asked of a celeb before their very eyes. Darragh could even mention the poster by name if people were so inclined. I think if you involve the users, who are the heart and soul of the site, future interviews will be far better received infuture. It just seems odd or something otherwise to be conducting interviews with no user input on a user driven forum of communication.

Also fair play to Darragh for doing this - it takes balls to put yourself out there like this in what at the end of the days was a genuine attempt to raise the profile of the site. Outside the box thinking should always be encourgaed IMO, not shot down - it was that kind of enterprise and initiative that has seen the place blossom from a fourm for a computer game into the big deal it is today.

With some minor tweaking and a little user involvement you could have a great thing on your hands IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

flahavaj wrote: »
    Also fair play to Darragh for doing this - it takes balls to put yourself out there like this in what at the end of the days was a genuine attempt to raise the profile of the site. Outside the box thinking should always be encourgaed IMO, not shot down
    This in a big way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

flahavaj wrote: »
    An easy solution would be to advertise an dinterviw in announcements a few days beforehand and give us the opportunity to post questions to the interviewee involved. People would show more interest if they thought a question they posed had a chance of being asked of a celeb before their very eyes. Darragh could even mention the poster by name if people were so inclined. I think if you involve the users, who are the heart and soul of the site, future interviews will be far better received infuture. It just seems odd or something otherwise to be conducting interviews with no user input on a user driven forum of communication.

This has happened before, I remember one of the first interviews of this type was conducted with Damien Duff, the Irish footballer. There was a thread in the Soccer Forum, started by Darragh, a week or a few days before the interview was to take place, asking the users for questions.

Darragh then went and asked Damien Duff some of these questions (I believe the time allowed by Duff's "people" meant that all the questions couldn't be asked, there were also some "inappropriate" questioned posted, which no sane person would ask anyone in an interview), Darragh even mentioned the names of the posters in that interview.

By the way, I'm banned from the SF at the moment, and I'm not arsed logging out to find the thread, but it's there.

Anyway, in this instance it would seem that the interview opportunity came as a bit of a surprise to the team in HQ, and there was no time to properly prepare for it. It happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Des wrote: »
    By the way, I'm banned from the SF at the moment, and I'm not arsed logging out to find the thread, but it's there.

Here you go...

Soccer forum q&a with Damien Duff

The interview with Damien Duff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thanks bro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

let me interview them :)

Advertisement